• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best XI of the 1st round

Attitude

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Rohit
Warner
Kohli
Shakib
Williamson
Stokes
Carey
Starc
Archer
Shaheen Afridi
Bumrah

Carey as WK was easy. Most dismissals by WK & most runs by WK.

Kohli & Root was close. Root has more runs but has played 1 game more than Kohli. Kohli has better avg. & S/R.

Shaheen's stats are unbelievably good.

Archer, Amir, Mustafizur are all level for me. But Archer's team is in the SFs, and so he got the nod.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rohit
Warner
Root
Shakib
Pooran
Stokes
Carey
Starc
Ferguson
Tahir
Bumrah

Couple of somewhat controversial calls I'll explain. I picked Pooran on the grounds that he did most of his work in the middle order. Kohli and Williamson may have been better but they were too similar in role to Root/Shakib and I didn't want to pick 3 #3's as it makes little sense in ODI cricket.

Tahir gets in because I wanted a spinner and I couldn't think of anyone better for that role. Otherwise I'd have picked Amir. Ferguson gets in as he was the best 1st change option.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
I think Shakib is a reasonable call to be the spinner in this side seeing as he’s been close to as good as Tahir, and most sides have been playing four seamers anyway. Agree with Margie re: Pooran over Williamson. Batting at three and five in ODIs are different. Especially in this tournament where the top 3 players have piled on the runs and the middle orders have been shaky.

Also you want to think about who is the middle overs seamer. Four new ball bowlers has the same issue as four no. 3 batsmen. Stokes helps and so does picking Ferguson. Neesham as a bowling allrounder would be well deserved too.

Last edited:

trundler

Need 2 left armers in there. Shakib can be the sole spinner.

Bumrah-Ferguson-Amir-Starc.

This attack is basically unplayable at the death too.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Roy
Rohit
Warner
Shakib
Root
Stokes
Carey
Starc
Ferguson
Shami
Bumrah

Need one explosive opener and Roy has been that. Had to pick one between Root, Williamson, and Kohli, and think Root has deserved it. Shami and Ferguson for the middle overs is a great combination.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Almost too many options for no.3 in a Best XI of the tournament so far. You could put Shakib, Root, Williamson or Babar there and there wouldn't be much argument against any of them. Root is there for me instead of Williamson as he simply isn't as good lower down the order.

Sharma
Bairstow
Root
Williamson
Shakib
Stokes
Carey
Starc
Archer
Bumrah
Ferguson

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How far behind the other fab 4 is Smith this tournament? He'd practically have to hit two doubles in the finals to overtake them. Come to think of it I hope he does.

Burgey

Yeah had an ordinary tournament by his standards so far. Will bat three from here on though, which is where he should have been every game.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Have put it in another thread as well . This is my team with a slight change from there. Taking Bumrah over Tahir since Shakib is good enough to be the lone spinner in English conditions. Stokes-Neesham-Morris is a very good 5th bowler combination to have and can give very well more than 10 overs.

Warner
Rohit
Shakib
Pooran
Stokes
Neesham
Carey
Morris
Starc
Afridi
Bumrah

Howe_zat

Audio File
Dud XI of the first round

1. Tamim Iqbal (235 runs at 29, strike rate 78)
2. Fakhar Zaman (186 runs at 23, strike rate 82)
3. Kusal Mendis (143 runs at 20, strike rate 67)
4. Aiden Markram (140 runs at 23, strike rate 75)
5. Tom Latham + (98 runs at 16, strike rate 66)
6. Marcus Stoinis (87 runs at 17, strike rate 78, 7 wickets at 33, economy 6.1)
7. JP Duminy (70 runs at 17.5, strike rate 97, 1 wicket at 61, economy 6.77)
8. Thisara Perera (61 runs at 10, strike rate 95, 1 wicket at 207, economy 5.13)
9. Rashid Khan (6 wickets at 69, economy 5.8)
10. Hasan Ali (2 wickets at 128, economy 7.75)
11. Mashrafe Mortaza (c) (1 wicket at 361, economy 6.44)

Minimum 4 matches. Kagiso Rabada and Glenn Maxwell fortunate to be unselected on 'difference between ability and performance' basis.

Not counting half a dozen Afghanistan players who have nowhere near the ability to be international cricketers but sometimes succeed anyway. They're great.