• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Test centuries in the Sub Continent since 2000

ajdude

International Coach
loved KP's 151 in colombo 2012, pretty dead track iirc yet still looked so good. not on the same level as the others mentioned but was probably as good to watch as sehwag's 293

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I think my favourite Sehwag innings would be against Sri Lanka from 2010ish, one of the Sri Lankan seamers (possibly Welegedera) had made good use of early conditions and reduced India to 30odd for 3 or 4. Sehwag had survived, spinners came on and he went nuts.
I think you are referring to this game? Because that's the only one my mind goes back to when you mention 30/4 and Welegedra.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
loved KP's 151 in colombo 2012, pretty dead track iirc yet still looked so good. not on the same level as the others mentioned but was probably as good to watch as sehwag's 293
It was a reasonably dead track but also slow and everyone else found it really hard to score on. No one had scored at a SR of even 50 bar Dilshan's 14. He just came in and smacked 150 at basically a run a ball and completely turned what would've been a tough to win game time wise into a comfortable win.

subshakerz

International Coach
Strange...4 pages and nobody mentioned Rahul Dravid's 180 in Calcutta? If VVS' 281 is the best, then surely that is no.2.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i don't even know what tour it was but i remember steve waugh getting a ton and he hit like 20 runs off 4 balls to bring it up with a lot of slog sweeps. how was that

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Am I an absolute idiot for saying that Chandimals 162 should be worthy of a mention?
I will never rate that knock as one of the ATG ones beause:

a) He should've been given out twice but wasn't
b) He was lucky as **** even apart from those two decisions, with tons of little inside edges, top edges etc just landing safe.
c) I'm still butthurt. Probably the biggest reason.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Did any of them do it while suffering from dehydration though?
Dehydration shmehydration. Try scoring 210 at Madras in 60 degree heat and 2000% humidity while throwing up all day because the Indian PM personally poisoned you to ensure that Tendulkar-Bradman debates could be had for years to come when in reality I'm better than both of them multiplied together! #DeanJonesThoughts

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
His (Thorpe's) one in Lahore a year before was good. Only got 2 boundaries in the innings, think he only had 1 when he reached his ton.
Yes it was. Maybe forgotten as we didn't win that particular match (iirc we won in Karachi) but it was our first series in the SL since losing all four in India and SL about 8 years previously, and Thorpe was a major reason why we did so much better that time. Dunno whether it was turning as much as in the SL game, but obviously Saqlain was a big threat out there.

The SL one sticks in my memory because it was against Murali in his own country and no-one else had much of a clue. And we won. I think he also made a minor gem of a 30* in the second innings when we were struggling to reach some sub-100 target.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Dehydration shmehydration. Try scoring 210 at Madras in 60 degree heat and 2000% humidity while throwing up all day because the Indian PM personally poisoned you to ensure that Tendulkar-Bradman debates could be had for years to come when in reality I'm better than both of them multiplied together! #DeanJonesThoughts
There's no way Dean Jones has ever thought that many coherent words in a row.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Inzy's 184 in Bangalore 2005 is another knock that gets overshadowed a little bit by Younis's sublime 267, but Inzy on Day 1 was as at his very best, that I have seen him play. Kumble, Harbhajan, Balaji, Irfan all looked hapless as he played an unusually dominating innings. Pakistan were trailing 0-1 and were 7/2 and it was that innings that brought Pakistan back into the series.

Last edited:

ajdude

International Coach
It was a reasonably dead track but also slow and everyone else found it really hard to score on. No one had scored at a SR of even 50 bar Dilshan's 14. He just came in and smacked 150 at basically a run a ball and completely turned what would've been a tough to win game time wise into a comfortable win.
yeah that's what i was getting at by dead track; slow, hard to play your shots on. should've worded it better

Kirkut

International Regular
Jayawardene 374 vs South Africa.

Edit : Kohli's 103 vs Swann and Panesar at Nagpur. His best test knock IMO.

Last edited: