• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Possible Combo for County??

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
chris.hinton said:
I dont think that Warwick are not much better then Worcester, even though they are a bigger county and have a bigger ground
Hmmmm, better team, bigger ground which hosts Tests and ODIs, better facilities, more succesfull, more fans...oh well :rolleyes:

Bazza

International 12th Man
Yeah well Marc's just a glory supporter - he told me he was actually born in Derbyshire! :P ;) 8D

No I'm joking.

Just for the record, I was mimicking Mr Whatshisface. I don't think Twose is a poor player. Well maybe now! :lol:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Bazzaroodoo said:
Yeah well Marc's just a glory supporter - he told me he was actually born in Derbyshire! :P ;) 8D

No I'm joking.

Just for the record, I was mimicking Mr Whatshisface. I don't think Twose is a poor player. Well maybe now! :lol:
Glory Hunter? Warwickshire only won one trophy last season...he'd be better off supporting Surrey...:saint:

chris.hinton

International Captain
But Worcester are smaller, yet we have produced more players for England in recent times (Solanki,Kabir, Hick, Curtis)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
But Worcester are smaller, yet we have produced more players for England in recent times (Solanki,Kabir, Hick, Curtis)
Kabir?

In that case I'll go for Bell!

If we're going back to Curtis, then in the same time Warwickshire have had:

Knight
Reeve
Smith
Giles
(Bell)
Brown
Small

So who's had more?

chris.hinton

International Captain
Let me get this stright Warwick have not produced any Batsman for England since Dennis Amiss.

Knight was from Essex, Bell has never played, Powell will not get close etc etc

All Warwickshire players with the exception of Smith have all been signed not produced

While in the same amount of time Worcester have had Curtis,Hick,Dilley, Solanki,Kabir, and we are a small county

Warwickshire Spend £1.5 Million on Youth Developement

Worcester spend 300,000

Judgeing from that warwickshire should produce more players for England (3x the amount) that Worcestershire does

Andre

International Regular
Correct me if I am wrong, but Hick was bron, raised and learnt to play the game in Zimbabwe.

And Solanki is hardly a natural Worcester man.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Andre said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but Hick was bron, raised and learnt to play the game in Zimbabwe.

And Solanki is hardly a natural Worcester man.
Vikram Solanki born in Udaipur, Rajasthan, India

Graeme Hick born in Salisbury (now Harare), Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe)

Yeah and check this out...Kabir and Kadeer Ali are from Birmingham and played for Warwickshire youth teams...

:lol: Home Grown My Arse :lol:

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Chris posts total sense once again!

By the way if you're talking about produced batsmen, how come you mention Dilley and Kabir?

Also, you say we can't count Bell for England yet you can count Kabir?

Bell was called into the Test (ie proper) squad 12 months ago!

chris.hinton

International Captain
fair enough marc but a County the Size of Warwickshire should be producing more England Test batsman

And Rik Kabir and Kadder where released at 16, it not worcester fault they pick them up and Developed there Talent

Warwick had a Choice Between Nick Warren and Kabir and chosse Warren, what is Nick Warren doing now

Solanki was born in India but came here when he was 4 so he been here a long time

Hick was in the Worcester under 19 and second xi after the 1987 world cup so he has come though the youth system

Bell was called in too the test side but did not play for England at (xi or test level) Kabir did

Worcester are not the best for Producing Young players, But Warwick up until 2 years with (Bell,Troughton,Clifford,Wagg) had a crap record. A Lot of people in the club cricket circuit Know how Warwick treat (Very badly) kids from a early age.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
fair enough marc but a County the Size of Warwickshire should be producing more England Test batsman
You can level that at most counties

And Rik Kabir and Kadder where released at 16, it not worcester fault they pick them up and Developed there Talent
There must have been a lot of work @ Warwicks between 12 and 16. And it's Kadeer.

Hick was in the Worcester under 19 and second xi after the 1987 world cup so he has come though the youth system
Zimbabwe born and bred. To claim Hick as a Worcs youth product is a joke IMO. Youth development is from 10/11 upwards

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
chris.hinton said:

Warwick had a Choice Between Nick Warren and Kabir and chosse Warren, what is Nick Warren doing now

Solanki was born in India but came here when he was 4 so he been here a long time

Bell was called in too the test side but did not play for England at (xi or test level) Kabir did

Worcester are not the best for Producing Young players, But Warwick up until 2 years with (Bell,Troughton,Clifford,Wagg) had a crap record. A Lot of people in the club cricket circuit Know how Warwick treat (Very badly) kids from a early age.
You stated before that Knight was from Essex, yes he played for Essex before moving to Warwickshire but Hick played for Zimbabwe before moving to England to play for Worcestershire. So compared to the one player you have noted down as being non-home grown, Worcestershire have 2 if you count Hick and Solanki who was born in India. He may not have learnt to play in India but he was born there, so there goes your home grown arguement. Also Kabir and Kadeer...they were coached from an early age by Warwickshire.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:

We're talking Internationals here, not two bob games where half the England team are being rested!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
chris.hinton said:
I would not call England Vs Australia A a tinpot match
Well he only bowled 2 overs and didn't play another match unless you count the games against the Academy...so calling him an England player is rather kind on him...

Bazza

International 12th Man
Hey guys go easy on Worcs - they have produced Anurag Singh, Stephen Peters, Ben Smith, David Leatherdale, Steve Rhodes, Philip Weston.... oh no wait they were all drafted in from elsewhere.

To be fair a there are about 6-7 players from the Birmingham/Wolverhampton area, though strangely 4 were born in Bradford?

Anyway it doesn't lend weight to Chris' argument about Worcs youth program.

On the subject of producing England batsman, you only need 6-8 at a time, so half the counties aren't going to get a look in anyway.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
I would not call England Vs Australia A a tinpot match
Craig White opened, Ronnie Irani was at 3, Rob Key played, Alec Stewart was at 9, and there was no Hoggard or Caddick.

Guess that they were realy taking it seriously!

Besides that, Kabir isn't even a Worcestershire product!

chris.hinton

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Craig White opened, Ronnie Irani was at 3, Rob Key played, Alec Stewart was at 9, and there was no Hoggard or Caddick.

Guess that they were realy taking it seriously!

Besides that, Kabir isn't even a Worcestershire product!
If i want to be Padantic nor is Jim Troughton