• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Players of a particular shot...

Eclipse

International Debutant
For mine and I'm not really going on elegance and how good a shot looks but rather it's effectivness.

Cover Drive Front foot : Lara
Cover Drive backfoot : SRT
Cut Shot: Shewag / Gilchrist
Pull / Hook : Ponting
Leg glance : Laxman?
On Drive: Ponting
Off drive: No sure SRT of old used to play it well
Sweep: Lara?
Slog Sweep: Tresco maybe?
General Slog over midwicket: Gilchrist
Best footwork to spinners: Clarke and Lara
Square Drive: hmmmm would have been Martyn I think?
Straight sixes and lofted drives: Flintoff, Gayle, Symonds
Late cut: ????
French cut: Vaughan :p

And what player do you think has the best trademark shot that they play better than anyone when in full flow?

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Eclipse said:
For mine and I'm not really going on elegance and how good a shot looks but rather it's effectivness.

And what player do you think has the best trademark shot that they play better than anyone when in full flow?
Sidhu was the best in dancing down the track and hitting sixes off spinners

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
A few changes that I'd personally make...

General Slog over midwicket: Lehmann.
On Drive: I'd put Tendy with Ponting on that one. Especially considering that Tendy's is more classical.
Cover Drife - Front Foot: Vaughan

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
Eclipse said:

Would probably say Pietersen, he slayed Warney on many an occasion with the slog sweep in the Ashes series.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Eclipse said:

I would love to see Atapattu's name ahead of Lara

Eclipse

International Debutant
vic_orthdox said:
A few changes that I'd personally make...

General Slog over midwicket: Lehmann.
On Drive: I'd put Tendy with Ponting on that one. Especially considering that Tendy's is more classical.
Cover Drife - Front Foot: Vaughan
Lehmann no longer plays International cricket but he has a good case... I would still go for Gilly.

Vaughan's looks one of the best if not the best but I don't think it's as effective as some people think and it gets him out a fair bit.

Eclipse

International Debutant
ramkumar_gr said:
I would love to see Atapattu's name ahead of Lara
Again I think that's a case of his cover drive looking great, but he doesn't make as many runs off it as lara IMO and gets cought behind playing it more..

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
I'd have Ponting for all the on-side shots. Square cut, Kallis? Forward defensive: Kallis again. Backward short defensive: Steve Waugh.

Ian Bell - caught behind. Already he has it pat.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Eclipse said:
Again I think that's a case of his cover drive looking great, but he doesn't make as many runs off it as lara IMO and gets cought behind playing it more..
How about Nathan Astle for the cut shot. When in his prime, he had that peculiar knack of sending the ball very square from nowhere.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Pedro Delgado said:
I'd have Ponting for all the on-side shots. Square cut, Kallis? Forward defensive: Kallis again. Backward short defensive: Steve Waugh.

Ian Bell - caught behind. Already he has it pat.
Ponting does have a good case for all legside shots exept the sweep he's not a big sweeper.

For defensive shots I would say Kallis and Dravid..

Eclipse

International Debutant
ramkumar_gr said:
How about Nathan Astle for the cut shot. When in his prime, he had that peculiar knack of sending the ball very square from nowhere.
I probably havn't seen him play it enough to judge.. but he was a very good player a few years ago.

I think Astle is good with all offside shots actually.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have to be biased and say Stephen Fleming for the front foot straight drive along the ground.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Carl Hooper could play the lofted drives as good as anyone, which he used to do with such precision during the initial part of his career.

Eclipse

International Debutant
_Ed_ said:
I have to be biased and say Stephen Fleming for the front foot straight drive along the ground.
dunno how i left straight drive off the list :lol:

but I think SRT and Ponting play it better, with the full face of the bat and hit it very hard

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Eclipse said:
dunno how i left straight drive off the list :lol:

but I think SRT and Ponting play it better, with the full face of the bat and hit it very hard
SRT is the best when it comes to the straigt drives