• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Part-Time Bowlers

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
12th Man said:
Nathan Astle, Kevin Pietersen, Ian Bell
Well we know that Pietersen can supposed do everything, but his list A economy of 5.26 and average of 51.03 amuse me.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
twctopcat said:
I always laugh at the fact that were sachin english, he would probably get in for his leg break alone, sad state of affairs.
Hmm... even Chris Schofield only played 2 Tests.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
deeps said:
actually steve waugh was much more than a part timer until he started gettin those little niggles

had 195 odd test match wickets, which is quiet good
FaaipDeOiad said:
195 ODI wickets, you mean. Which yes, is a top effort. He bowled his full quota more often than not early in his career.

In tests he wasn't that bad either, getting almost 100 wickets in the end.
Wasn't bad in his early career (some said his bowling kept him in the side), certainly, but I never saw him bowl that well and only saw his brother bowl that well once.

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think Graeme Smith can be a very handy part timer. As with most part time spinners he's a bit all over the shop, but when he gets it in a good region he can be quite an uncomfortable customer.

Craig

World Traveller
Mark Butcher isn't too bad if he gets it right with the ball (and I guess he really can be defined as part-time).

Ming

State 12th Man
Richard said:
If Nathan Astle's knees ever allow him to bowl regularly again I'll be gobsmacked.
He's been bowling 10 overs consistently every game in the State Shield.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
in my opinion the thing about part time bowlers is that they can only be of up to a certain quality otherwise if they are bowled more and are no longer part time

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The Baconator said:
in my opinion the thing about part time bowlers is that they can only be of up to a certain quality otherwise if they are bowled more and are no longer part time
These are basicaly batsmen who are really smart and bowl with their heads. Its the same with Smith, Sehwag, Richards, Gayle, Tendulkar (in the case of tendulkar he tries a bit of to much different stuff so he is difernt in a way).

dudeurfriend

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yes sjs you are right... Part time bowlers are Batsman who can turn their arm over when the team needs them .They may also be used to break up patnerships.....

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
i always thought aravinda de silva was a really really handy bowler. of the current crop, i enjoy watching sehwag bowl, because he's not afraid to attack and throw the ball up.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
i always thought aravinda de silva was a really really handy bowler. of the current crop, i enjoy watching sehwag bowl, because he's not afraid to attack and throw the ball up.
Yes. Aravinda was very good and could be relied upon to bowl ten overs most of the time.

Alan B

Cricket Spectator
Darren who ?

Yes Darren Bicknell. He surprised a few people last season - including himself!
Look at his average!

Fiery

Banned
sledger said:
scott styris is a reasonable part time bowler, as is the great sachin tendulkar.
I wouldn't consider Styris a part-timer and nor would he himself. He started his career as a bowler who batted around 8 or 9 and decided to concentrate more on his batting in the last few years after he discovered he was better at it than most gave him credit for. Still bowls plenty of overs in both forms of the game and still an allrounder really just more of a batting one now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
17 wickets @ 24.70 and econ of 4.16? It's good, but it's nothing to be ecstatic about, especially when you consider that he got taken off whenever he was caned...
I'd say it's fair to include the Holland, Kenya, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe games myself - that record exclusive of them is still not bad at all.
I'd still say a bowler would be pretty darn pleased with the proper figures. I'd also say that if he had been taken off the one time he really was caned 2.3-38-1 it'd be far, far better.