• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best pace bowling pairs

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
With Broad's retirement, a great pace bowling partnership comes to an end.

At what position will you place them as a pace duo in tests? Which pairs are better than them?

Wasim-Waqar
Ambrose -Walsh
Donald-Pollock

Are the 3 pairs that immediately come to mind. All 3 of these pairs played around the same time too.

Slifer

International Captain
In my lifetime:

WWs
Donald Pollock
Ambrose Walsh
Mcgrath Gillespie
Steyn Philander
Anderson Broad
Bumrah Shami

Wi of the 80s didn't really hunt in pairs; more so in 3s, occasionally quartet.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
From my Era :

Top Tier
Wasim & Waqar
Walsh & Ambrose
Donald & Pollock
Steyn & Philander
Mcgrath & Gillespie
Broad & Anderson
Rabada & Philander

Very Very Good
Johnson & Harris
Bumrah & Shami
Steyn & Morkel
Pollock & Ntini
Boult & Southee
Cummins & Starc

Slifer

International Captain
From my Era :

Top Tier
Wasim & Waqar
Walsh & Ambrose
Donald & Pollock
Steyn & Philander
Mcgrath & Gillespie
Broad & Anderson
Rabada & Philander

Very Very Good
Johnson & Harris
Bumrah & Shami
Steyn & Morkel
Pollock & Ntini
Boult & Southee
Cummins & Starc
Apart from the sheer volume of wickets, were Broad and Anderson as effective worldwide as those other great pairs? They were great together in England but what about the other countries?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Apart from the sheer volume of wickets, were Broad and Anderson as effective worldwide as those other great pairs? They were great together in England but what about the other countries?
They were great in England yes. But they can't have got that wickets volume by being good only there, isn't it?

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Broad and Anderson did win series in every country they played in bar West Indies which is rare for most bowlers to say .. And longevity and reliability factor puts them in top tier for me ..

Last edited:

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Bumrah-Shami is better
Broad and Anderson did win series in every country they played in bar West Indies which is rare for most bowlers to say .. And longevity and reliability factor puts them in top tier for me ..
They played more series than any other fast bowlers also

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
I've acknowledged that in that post already , reliability and longevity is a good thing .
The don't have longevity though compared to other pairs like Walsh-Ambrose, 2Ws, Mcgrath-Gillespie. Maybe Amderson but not Broad. They were just beneficiary of England test spam.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Will say this, Botham only really bowled with Willis during his peak years. Also no, Willis > Broad.
We'll never agree on the longevity thing. I don't think exclusively playing together in your peak is better than a good peak together + more time being serviceable. Also, Willis averages 28 when you factor in the no balls he bowled. I know it seems unfair to retrospectively increase his average but he did have a persistent problem that doesn't show up in stats. It pretty much evens out the gap between their averages and Broad wins on longevity imo.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
The don't have longevity though compared to other pairs like Walsh-Ambrose, 2Ws, Mcgrath-Gillespie. Maybe Amderson but not Broad. They were just beneficiary of England test spam.
Longevity means long existence or service , Anderson has been around international cricket for 20 years , Broad for 17 years .