• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ODI fielder in this list

Best ODI fielder

• Rhodes

Votes: 24 47.1%
  • Ponting

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Symonds

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Devilliers

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Harris

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Any other ( please mention in the thread)

Votes: 2 3.9%

• Total voters
Not specific to Jonty topic but I actually do believe on this. If the player's name is attractive in some way, they get endeared more and their cricketing prowess is also spoken up more.

Eg. I do feel Hobbs-Hutton doesn't give the same feel as Hobbs-Sutcliffe and so we always prefer that opening pair as the best of all time.
Corrected

Brook's side

State Vice-Captain
No. I am speaking about atg teams that we formulate here. Anyways, I know this is a weird take which no one will agree. It is just a personal opinion from my end.
I definitely think that people with cool names, or co-incidently the same surname as someone well known in a related profession, have a significant advantage in business. Whether that translates to cricket I don't know but it's an interesting idea.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I definitely think that people with cool names, or co-incidently the same surname as someone well known in a related profession, have a significant advantage in business. Whether that translates to cricket I don't know but it's an interesting idea.
It's a thing. That's explains why some people preferred to call abdv ab. They were hoping to raise his status.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
As well as having ATG batting and bowling lineups, it was nuts that Oz had Ponting, Symonds, Clarke, and Hussey in the circle. They must have saved so many runs, effected so many run outs, taken so many catches, and created so much pressure.
They were preceded by M Waugh and Bevan who were incredibly good (esp the former).
You always felt intimidated by their fielders let alone their bowlers. It was really difficult to penetrate the circle. And direct hits were so frequent.

Now playing Australia, it definitely feels a lot easier from batting POV. Fielding standards are nowhere as high as they used to be. And the gap between Australia and SC sides has definitely closed with most sides much improved in the field.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Jonty Rhodes is such an overhyped turd.

At the time he was playing he was not more effective than any of a number of Aussie fielders. He fielded in the position most likely to look razzle dazzle and played a number of games for his spectacular efforts, but really, they were coming at a rate similar to ponting or symonds or any number of fielders for that matter. The only reason people think of him is because at the time, Australia were rare in having good fielders. It is a big part of what gave Australia a jump on other teams on the world stage in the 90's. Then SA joined the fray again and there was another player on the world stage that could field like an Aussie. Consequently, people came in their pants. Now most teams have realised that fielding is an essential part of cricket training.
As for Rhodes' anticipation...pfft. One ball he anticiaptes left and the ball goes left. The next he anticipates right and the ball goes left. It is confirmational bias.
Basically - I think Rhodes was a good fielder, but FMD is he overhyped. I wouldn't be surprised if he started the hype himself, because without it, he would not even have played international level. Ponting ****s on and grows tomatoes in him. Look at Pontings greatest fielding hits on youtube. It goes for an hour. As for Rhodes, you get little clips of 4 minutes that are all repeats of him running into the stumps. What a klutz!

OK
Oddly enough I actually agree with you.
Ponting > Rhodes. Ponting dismissed so many players via run outs its crazy! And his catching truly sensational. He was complete in every way as a fielder. Best ever perhaps.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
fairly well balanced ODI side with only gun fielders

M.Waugh
A.Gilchrist
V.Richards
R.Ponting
AB DeVillers
A.Symonds
I.Botham
R. Jadeja
B.Hogg
B.Lee
J.Garner

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
fairly well balanced ODI side with only gun fielders

M.Waugh
A.Gilchrist
V.Richards
R.Ponting
AB DeVillers
A.Symonds
I.Botham
R. Jadeja
B.Hogg
B.Lee
J.Garner
Jayasuriya easily over Mark Waugh, and Kapil Dev over Botham.

Jayro

U19 12th Man
Gary Kirsten and H. Gibbs should also be in this list, although Jonty was a level above anyone else when the reall fuss around fielding started.

Jayro

U19 12th Man
The one & only Sir Christopher Harris head & shoulders above the pack...

So far ahead of his time, the skills of the top fielders going around today

Also had amazing knack of getting batsmen caught n bold, perhaps most of these dismissals barring muralidharan who was from a different planet because of his bowling, speaking of murali he was perhaps the best catcher in his team.