• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Moments Of 2008

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Despite all the controversies, 2008 has been a pretty good year, for the most part. So What were the best moments on a cricket field in 2008 ?

For me, India beating Australia was perhaps with best thing for the year. Although it was hard to see two of India's greats retire, It was very pleasing to see them going on a winning note and with great dignity. Perhaps a first in the history of Indian Cricket.

Also was great to see the emergence of Ishant Sharma and Gautam Gambhir.

As an Indian, I was very grateful for England's decision to return to India after Mumbai 2008, IMO it was a courageous decision and I hope it sets a precedent in world cricket.

masterblaster

International Captain
This is the same post that I made in the '2008 in Sport' thread in the General Sports Forum.

2008 was the year of Sachin Tendulkar for me.

Tendulkar breaks Brian Lara's world record, scores his 40th test match century and crosses 12,000 runs in test match cricket.

Sachin then scores his 41st test match century with a boundary and guides India to a famous victory over England.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Ishant embarrassing Ponting time an again.

SA record run chase againd Aus last week.

susudear

Banned
Nothing for pakistan

Except the Kitply cup.

As far as other countries, Tendulkar crossign Lara. Sharma bafflign Ponting. Obrain six for. Vettori 100, Perth test, chennia test,

pup11

International Coach
Royals winning the IPL, India chasing down 387 against England and Sachin' brilliant century in the game, Sehwag and Gambhir' brilliance right through the year (though hated it when they did it against the Aussies), as an Aussie fan there wasn't much to rejoice this year, but Johnson' spell against the Proteas in the Perth test on tail end of day 2 was something special.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
India getting rolled over for 76 at Ahmedabad. Vettori's one man show against Bangladesh. South Africa at Perth. Graeme Smith's innings at Edgbaston. The form of Hamilton Masakadza. So much more...

pasag

RTDAS
For me personally:

Rajasthan Royals winning the IPL
First Aus-SA Test - one of the recent greats - had everything
Watto back in the Test side and bowling well in tough conditions
Symonds vs a spirited WI attack
Krejza's debut. So strange.

Xuhaib

International Coach
India getting rolled over for 76 at Ahmedabad. Vettori's one man show against Bangladesh. South Africa at Perth. Graeme Smith's innings at Edgbaston. The form of Hamilton Masakadza. So much more...
Found that comical:laugh:

If not for Vettori we would have been questioning NZL test status after that series.

pup11

International Coach
For me personally:

Rajasthan Royals winning the IPL
First Aus-SA Test - one of the recent greats - had everything
Watto back in the Test side and bowling well in tough conditions
Symonds vs a spirited WI attack
Krejza's debut. So strange.
Yes forgot to mention that, probably that was the best thing to come out of this year, Watto staying almost injury free right through the year and doing well in almost every form of the game....

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Yes forgot to mention that, probably that was the best thing to come out of this year, Watto staying almost injury free rigth through the year and doing well in almost every form of the game....
Shame it didn't last long. :sleep:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
This is the same post that I made in the '2008 in Sport' thread in the General Sports Forum.

2008 was the year of Sachin Tendulkar for me.

Tendulkar breaks Brian Lara's world record, scores his 40th test match century and crosses 12,000 runs in test match cricket.

Sachin then scores his 41st test match century with a boundary and guides India to a famous victory over England.

Haha, Great Moment for me as well, wanted to mention it but thought it would be better if one of the Loyal Fans posted ..And none more loyal than the one with the name 'Master Blaster'. :)

Oh Btw Great Pic selection too.

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
The comeback of The Monk and his subsequent forming of a solid opening partnership for India was the moment for me. I hope he just keeps his fitness levels up and continues to succeed next year.

That apart, the year has been great for an Indian fan (and, I suppose, a non-Australia cricket fan!). Test cricket's top 4 have looked closer to each other than ever before, and hopefully that should provide for some enthralling cricket in the coming years.

Oh, and Ajantha Mendis' debut series. I cannot wait to see how this guy turns out in international Test cricket.

Bees

U19 12th Man
Can't believe I forgot Mendis' debut series and Smith's 154*

Not to mention Tendulkar's accolades.

A truly great year, indeed.

In fact, I have a new idea for a thread.

haroon510

International 12th Man
Sreesanth geting slapped and crying like a baby.. other than that 08 was nothing special for me..

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Highlights

India's form throughout the year. A smooth transition among the ranks. If you'd told me last year that Ganguly and Kumble would be retiring in the same series and there would be no outcry or dip in form involved, I wouldn't have believed you.

Tendulkar's milestones, Sehwag's triple at run a ball and his double against Murali and Mendis, Gambhir's emergence providing India with arguably it's first true opening partnership in Test cricket. Ishant and Zaheer forming such a quality duo.

The IPL

Watching Gilly hit his 42 ball hundred live at the ground. The sound of the ball off his bat was so sweet despite the roars of the crowd.

Grudging gives

The Royals for winning the IPL. The Royals are a hotch-potch team borne off Modi's ego and I hate that.
Watson - I generally hate bowlers who make ugly faces and behave as if they've lost a potential wicket anytime the ball doesn't make contact with the bat, and Watson is one of those types. However, he's had a great year, can't deny that.
South Africa's successes - A team I wouldn't pay to watch. Their batting lacks style and bowling is too one-dimensional. But they have come up with excellent success, their lack of flair works for them.