• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Last Over Bowlers

Eclipse

International Debutant
Nnanden said:
ahhh the stupid people who constantly bag Lee... for goodness sake.

Ian Harvey for mine actually. I still think he should be in the Aussie ODI team... maybe :p I love watching him bowl at the death... hes a class act.
Are you serious ? Ian Harvey is awful at the death despite what people thing..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
I was simply countering your ludicrous claim that McGrath and Ambrose are incapable of changing their length.
Of course they're not incapable but McGrath (as I say, never really saw Ambrose, just guessing because of their remarkable similarity in typical length) just isn't as good at consistent Yorkers as some, because they're such unusual deliveries for him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
8-)

Amazing that the batting all over the world - in a period of domination by batsmen no less - is poor enough to give Lee the career record of 185 wickets in 103 matches at an SR of 28.22 then. Think of all the poor batting he must have faced!
Yep, amazing how poor the standard of batting can be sometimes - especially given that some of these excuses manage to hammer it for 5-6 an over at other times.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Well he was quite exceptional against South Africa, especially considering the carnage unleashed by the likes of Kemp.
He was good, but he'd been even better in 1999\2000.
I think everyone else (Kabir Ali esp) was just so execrable that Gough's pretty-good looked exceptional.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
He was good, but he'd been even better in 1999\2000.
I think everyone else (Kabir Ali esp) was just so execrable that Gough's pretty-good looked exceptional.
Well we'll have to agree to disagree there. It's certainly not easy to get a quality yorker in two balls in an over, let alone as consistently as Gough managed to. Yes he got hit for the odd six, but he was exceptional in between and yes, I do mean exceptional. I don't think it's right to say that the poor standard of the other bowlers enhanced the reputation of Gough really. Rather, I think the superiority of Gough's abilities showed up the other bowlers as poor in standard. Gough put in a big effort in that series and did very well IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eclipse said:
Richard McGrath is brilliant at the death, obviously when you formed your opinion a few years ago or even 1-2 years ago when he wasn't really that good..

Now days he bowls better yorkers at the death than just about anyone..

Ohh and for once would you be perpared to change your opinion, you so often appear to form judgments that are correct at the time but they don't always remain correc two years or even 2 monthes down the track.
Well McGrath really hasn't played many ODIs since that West Indies series in 2002\03 (2 years ago).
That Videocon Cup and the New Zealand game (both on very seamer-friendly pitches that negated the need to bowl at the death); England hammered him in the Champions Trophy; bowled pretty well at the end in the CH Trophy game he played; got hammered by Afridi in the VBS 2nd game; bowled straight through in the next one; next game was over long before the end; and I'll confess I didn't see either of the finals, and obviously I haven't been able to watch the New Zealand series.
It does seem like he bowled pretty well at the end on a couple of occasions, but I haven't seen it, so I can't really change my view.
Next time I get the chance to see McGrath bowl hopefully I'll get the chance to see if he's improved.
One thing I will say, though, is if he has improved it's sure taken him a long time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
honestbharani said:
Saqlain used to be one spinner who could be relied upon at the death.........Meh, those were the days.... No team dominated world cricket and every match was interesting. Even Zimbabwe were pretty good at that time.
1999 and 2000... the best days for ODI cricket by a long way.
South Africa were the best, just a shame they didn't win the World Cup.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eclipse said:
Are you serious ? Ian Harvey is awful at the death despite what people thing..
He's good at the domestic level and useless in ODIs.
Over here he has to be the most overrated Aussie there is - and that includes Brett Lee.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Well we'll have to agree to disagree there. It's certainly not easy to get a quality yorker in two balls in an over, let alone as consistently as Gough managed to. Yes he got hit for the odd six, but he was exceptional in between and yes, I do mean exceptional. I don't think it's right to say that the poor standard of the other bowlers enhanced the reputation of Gough really. Rather, I think the superiority of Gough's abilities showed up the other bowlers as poor in standard. Gough put in a big effort in that series and did very well IMO.
He did well - but he still managed to go for 5-an-over 3 times, which very rarely happened 4 years ago and more.
It wasn't just his death-bowling, it was at times the earlier stuff too.
Gough did pretty well in that series and is still by some distance England's best ODI bowler in the likely event Flintoff's not available, but he's not as good now as he was in 2000 and before. Then he really was exceptional; there was only Wasim who matched his ability to bowl start\end, go for few and take wickets.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
He was somewhat above mediocre during the VB Series. Personally I was shocked.
He bowled well once or twice.
He also bowled a pile of rubbish on 5 occasions.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Yep, amazing how poor the standard of batting can be sometimes - especially given that some of these excuses manage to hammer it for 5-6 an over at other times.

You really are a self-parody, aren't you? Lee gets wickets because of bad batting, but the same bad batsmen dominate on othee occasions, yet them getting out to Lee has nothing to do with the fact that he bowled them an unplayable 155kph outswinger.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Richard said:
He bowled well once or twice.
He also bowled a pile of rubbish on 5 occasions.
You admitted you didn't see the two finals, thus your post means crap all.

I wish you'd watch cricket before making comment. Oh wait you read the scorecard didn't you? That's right.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Richard said:
If he actually did it more often I might be impressed.
He does, you just never watch those games. The normal person would hold back comment when they are unfamiliar about a player's recent form and accomplishments. The normal person that is.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
his average would tend to suggest that he bowls well often. his first chance average would be even more fantastic ;)