• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best knock by a tailender?

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Alan Mulally making 24 against Wasim after the coach told him he'd buy him 30 pints of Guinness if he made 30 that day should be an honourable mention, especially since nearly half his Test innings were ducks.
I wonder if Tim Southee could benefit from some type of incentive scheme to convince him to apply himself more effectively with the bat.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
In odis, the partnership between Browne and Bradshaw in the 04 CT final would take some beating. They played some glorious shots too, the winning runs came from a ***y down on one knee square drive by Bradshaw.
I remember this match situation was one of the toughest challenges you could play in Brian Lara Cricket 2005.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Here's one that may not quite qualify for the OP but reckon it deserves a mention anyway.
Ewen Chatfield was a number 11 and not a very good one at that. Around the mid 80s NZ were at home to Pakistan and Chatfield arrived at he crease
having just witnessed Lance Cairns(father of Chris) get hit flush on the skull with no helmet, by a certain Wasim Akram.
Not the most inspiring thing to come out and bat to by any means, but Chatfield somehow played the innings of his life, some exact details are lost
but along with Jeremy Coney, he batted for about 2 hours and won the game for NZ.
Only thing I remember for sure, is he got 21* which was his highest test score.
Charles Davis has most of the details here. They added 50 to take NZ to a 2-wicket win (with Cairns in hospital) to win the series 2-0.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Charles Davis has most of the details here. They added 50 to take NZ to a 2-wicket win (with Cairns in hospital) to win the series 2-0.
I didn't realise that Howarth opened in that test (or was it for the whole series?) vs Pakistan. I wonder why Edgar wasn't playing. Shame Howarth didn't open instead of Ken Rutherford in the West Indies. Might've made a huge (positive) difference to Rutherford's career.

ashley bach

International Captain
I didn't realise that Howarth opened in that test (or was it for the whole series?) vs Pakistan. I wonder why Edgar wasn't playing. Shame Howarth didn't open instead of Ken Rutherford in the West Indies. Might've made a huge (positive) difference to Rutherford's career.
Indeed Ken was way too young(19),raw and ginger to tour and take on the might of that great WI bowling attack.
Probably wouldn't have made much difference to his career, he had plenty of chances.
Crowe had the same fate against Lillee/Thompson when he was young but didn't matter for him.