• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Indian Spinner

Best Indian Spinner of All Time

• Rustomji Jamshedji

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vinoo Mankad

• Ghulam Ahmed

• Subhash Gupte

• Jasu Patel

• Erapalli Prasanna

• Srinivasraghavan Venkataraghavan

• Dilip Doshi

• Maninder Singh

• Harbhajan Singh

• Total voters

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Who is the best Indian Spinner of All Time? Is he some mid war pioneer in Rustomji Jamshedji who made Wilfred Rhodes jealous of the turn he got? Or is he someone from India's orginal spin trio in Vinoo Mankad, Ghulam Ahmed or especially Subhash Gupte? Or is he Australia killer Jasu Patel? Or is he one from the quartet, among Bishan Singh Bedi, Erapalli Prasanna, Bhagwath S Chandrashekhar or Srinivasraghavan Venkataraghavan? Is he some 80s lefty in Dilip Doshi or Maninder Singh? Is he India's ever consistent 600 wicket taking Anil Kumble? Is he 2000s dependable Harbhajan Singh? Or is he one of the modern killer duo Ravichandran Ashwin or Ravindra Jadeja?

reyrey

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'm a big fan of Chandrasekhar, but see him more as a point of difference luxury player/second spinner. I'll pick him anyway.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
Kumble obviously. He didn't need pitches nerfed up to this degree.

Ashwin has yet to really seal a game in SENA. No fifer yet. Instant disqualifier.

I reckon you could cut off around 100 Ashwin home wickets just based on pitch factors.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Kumble obviously. He didn't need pitches nerfed up to this degree.

Ashwin has yet to really seal a game in SENA. No fifer yet. Instant disqualifier.

I reckon you could cut off around 100 Ashwin home wickets just based on pitch factors.
A spinner should be judged on matches won for country, Ashwin makes India almost unbeatable at home it won't be easily replicated

subshakerz

International Coach
Ashwin despite having a horrible average, was instrumental in some of India's most important victories in Australia.
Some posters are exaggerating his role in 2021 victory. It wasn't this scene stealing performance that it is being made out to be. Granted, he really upset Smith with his trickery but ultimately it was a supporting role.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Some posters are exaggerating his role in 2021 victory. It wasn't this scene stealing performance that it is being made out to be. Granted, he really upset Smith with his trickery but ultimately it was a supporting role.
It definitely was supporting role and wasn't nearly as impressive as Kumble in 2004; but I think considering he played a positive role throughout some of India's most important victories their, by no means I can call him a flop in Australia; and also that Kumble really played much more in Australia than him and performed ****ty in every other tour, I say it's actually close in their.

subshakerz

International Coach
It definitely was supporting role and wasn't nearly as impressive as Kumble in 2004; but I think considering he played a positive role throughout some of India's most important victories their, by no means I can call him a flop in Australia; and also that Kumble really played much more in Australia than him and performed ****ty in every other tour, I say it's actually close in their.
I get that. Why is Pointing a flop in India and Ashwin not in Australia though?

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
I get that. Why is Pointing a flop in India and Ashwin not in Australia though?
Ponting has done **** in India. His batting looked terrible and he really doesn't have any innings indispensable to Aussie victory. Ashwin helped India in winning 2 series in Australia. Also, while no average is definitive, I definitely think batting average is a bit better representation of a player's performance than bowling, especially over a period of few matches.

subshakerz

International Coach
Ponting has done **** in India. His batting looked terrible and he really doesn't have any innings indispensable to Aussie victory. Ashwin helped India in winning 2 series in Australia. Also, while no average is definitive, I definitely think batting average is a bit better representation of a player's performance than bowling, especially over a period of few matches.
Ponting did have a decent couple of final two series in India but couldn't recover from damage in previous tours. So those tours don't matter, he is considered a flop.

Ashwin averages 42 in Australia. Even with your point it is somehow not representative, that still is Murali/Warne in India territory.

Point being we are pushing Ashwin in India as a success way too much.