• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Fielder

Kimbo

International Debutant
I am talking about in the circle fielding here. Maybe another poll should be made concerning slips, keepers etc. But these are mainly the point fielders, the spectacular guys.
I am sure I have missed people, please notify me of more to add

Eclipse

International Debutant
I would say Ponting over all hes got better hands than Rhodes and hits the stumps more ofrten. Rhodes is a better run saver but not by much.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd give it to Rick Ponting with Symonds a VERY close second. The only reason I'm not going to rate Vincent just yet is because he needs a few years at international level to be rated properly (the other guys have a wealth of performances behind them already) but geez from what I've seen, he's got the good to be the best of them all.

Kimbo

International Debutant
I had a good think about england, but i couldn't name any, there aren't any really famous good fielders. I only put in Vincent cos he is the most talented of the Kiwis and I saw Kaif the other day and he is the best of the Indians but at the end of the day you can't go past Ponting.
I pick him because of his arm- Rhodes is great stopping the ball and he is quick but Ponting is a bit more versatile, or is that the wrong word- an allround fielder.
He took the best catch at gully i have ever seen too!
I will chuck in Symonds too then... I don't know a lot about him, I guess he struggles to make the Aussie side, is he really dynamic or... ? tell me more

Kimbo

International Debutant
Okay, I cant add Symonds... he isn't the best in the world anyway.
It will be interesting between Rhodes and Ponting though. I see Rhodes ahead. There could be a good debate brewing here...*rubs hands together in anticipation*

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Difficult to choose between Rhodes and Ponting. Both are all-time great fielders. I would go for Rhodes though, because in my book, he is the greatest in-the-circle fielder ever.

As far as other fielders being added to the list, what about Yuvraj? He is exceptional anywhere in the field and along with Kaif is the best in the Indian team. Muralitharan is a brilliant fielder for SL. All the New Zealanders are great fielders.

Kimbo

International Debutant
Well there are many excellent fielders, you could argue the case for many guys to get on the list, but at the end of the day there are only two guys in it...
Ponting and Rhodes.
So if anybody wants to say that there are better fielders than those two then go ahead...
but I can't see it happening:rolleyes:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd have loved to have seen Jonty and Colin Bland side by side.

Back in the 60's, the South African side used to get people turn up just to watch the fielding practice.

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
Excuse me when I say that I have to agree with sasnoz that Rhodes is in fact a better fielder than Ponting purely on the number of runs he saves and the non-stop catches he takes of literally blinding shots...furthermore, Rhodes in reality saves more runs than the actual amount he physically saves becuase he also affects the batsmen mentaly so that in the eventuality of a block-and-run type of quick single in his direction the batsmen will more often than not hesitate because of the amazing speed he attacks the ball at.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Originally posted by Hoggard
Hey, why aren't any English cricketer in the poll??
Because we don't have any top-class fielders. Hussain and Thorpe aren't even close to the four above, of whom I would rank Rhodes-Vincent-Ponting-Kaif

oyesachinoye

Cricket Spectator
Originally posted by Hoggard
Hey, why aren't any English cricketer in the poll??

[Hoggard]
Because the only thing the English cricketer cathces regularly is cold!! Half of the squad is mostly in Hospital than on Cricket field:D:D:lol::lol::wow:

Kimbo

International Debutant
Saw a bit more of Yuvraj and Mohammed Kaif. I wouldn't have put Kaif up there if I had seen him. Him and Yuvraj are great fielders but not nearly as sharp as even Vincent. Kaif dropped a catch that wasn't all that hard- I think he just likes diving and looking spectacular. He certainly made the catch look more difficult than it was.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
err.. then it's strange that you had Kaif up on the list before you saw him :lol:

No he's pretty good. Some stops from him in Natwest were breathtaking. I think that Yuvaraj is better because his catching is superior (or maybe his getting to field at point gives him an advantage over Kaif).

Rhodes is tops for me. He's some distance ahead of Ponting in my books. Ricky however comes in second. I've not seen/noticed much of Vincent.
I think SA is the best fielding side in the world.

From England, Hussain is definitely a top fielder. He's behind these guys, but I think he and Knight (come to think of it) are up there with the best.

Surely Gibbs should get an honourable mention?

BTW, diving and rolling over when you
dont 'have' to can sometimes be a good option to ensure that you don't hurt yourself, and also so you can more fuidly get up to throw the ball back.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Ricky is deffinatly more versitile and drops less catches than Rhodes he also has a Far stronger arm.

Kimbo

International Debutant
I initially put Kaif in because the commentators were going on about him and i briefly saw him do some good work. He just needs to sharpen up a bit.
I thought about Gibbs too, I think maybe I should have put him in, I was trying to spread it between different countries too.