• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Ever First Class Attack

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Stephenson and Moseley were serious good and Tony gray. Stephenson imo could've been in the mix of 80s all rounders but for...
Pretty sure Tony Gray was from T&T.

Stephenson would have gotten a run in the ODI team for sure. He was miles better than Eldine Baptiste.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Durham

Wood
Onions
Rushworth
Stokes

(Plus Borthwck's part time leg-spin and Collingwood's medium-right).

Usually Woody was knackered or Rushy or Bunny was rested for someone like Callum Thorpe but this attack did actually play together,

Durham v Warwickshire, July 2013, Durham won by 11 runs

Durham's earlier attack was good also,

S. Harmison
Onions
Killeen
M. Davies/Liam Plunkett

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Being a very sad man, and having finally grudgingly shelled out for a cricketarchive sub last weekend, I thought I'd check out whether the Sylvers/Garner/Marshall/Daniel combo ever did turn out for Barbados

The filters on CA are ****e, so I had to check every game, but seems it happened just twice - they won one by an innings so no surprise there, but the other was drawn, Trinidad piling up 541 against that attack with only Larry Gomes with Test experience

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
weird that no-one has actually nominated the attack that inspired the thread: Hazlewood, Cummins, Starc and Lyon w Henriques as all-rounder

Did McGrath, Clark, Lee and MacGill ever turn out together for NSW?
They might have pre-2000, but post 2000 I can only be bothered to find:

Pura Cup at Sydney, Oct 25-28 2005 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

which also includes Bracken. The previous season, 2004/05, NSW had an attack of Clark, MacGill, Bracken & Nicholson which played just about every game. They all took 40+ wickets at under 25. It's somewhat soured by Jason Krejza being the 5th bowler (he spent all season at 7 - they were trying to give him the chance to become an all-rounder)

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Being a very sad man, and having finally grudgingly shelled out for a cricketarchive sub last weekend, I thought I'd check out whether the Sylvers/Garner/Marshall/Daniel combo ever did turn out for Barbados

The filters on CA are ****e, so I had to check every game, but seems it happened just twice - they won one by an innings so no surprise there, but the other was drawn, Trinidad piling up 541 against that attack with only Larry Gomes with Test experience
T&T traditionally is the slowest wicket in the WI and had a couple of decent-ish spinners in the 70's -- Imtiaz Ali, Raphick Jumadeen and another who escapes me, so I'm guessing that match was played on dust bowl.

S.Kennedy

Tykes of '50s: Johnny Wardle, Brian Close,Fred Trueman and Bob Appleyard - Illingworth later.

Slifer

International Captain
Pretty sure Tony Gray was from T&T.

Stephenson would have gotten a run in the ODI team for sure. He was miles better than Eldine Baptiste.
I know where Tony gray is from. I just mentioned him as another fast bowler from that era that had loads of potential.

AndrewB

Sussex had Imran and Garth Le Roux in the early 80s, but the rest of the attack, though successful in county cricket, doesn't look that impressive (Ian Greig, John Barclay, Tony Pigott and/or Geoff Arnold in his late-30s). The same is true of Hadlee and Rice at Notts, supported by Eddie Hemmings, Kevin Cooper etc.

I think Middlesex had Daniel, Thomson/Van der Bijl, Selvey, Emburey, Edmonds for a few games in the early 80s (Van der Bijl in 1980, Thomson in 1981).

Dendarii

International Debutant
In the mid 90s Natal would have had Shaun Pollock, Malcolm Marshall, and Lance Klusener, although I don't think they had anyone else of note.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Don't know much about County Cricket but I've read abit about the county circuit back in the day and I'm sure Tom Richardson, George Lohmann and Bill Lockwood played a few matches at the same time for Surrey.

And I agree S.Kennedy, CricketArchive being paywalled is an absolute bitch

AndrewB

Not all that many: Richardson first played regularly in 1893, by which year Lohmann had contracted TB, and when Lohmann made a brief comeback in 1895-6, Lockwood's career was in something of a trough.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is this a sarcastic post
Not at all, I was fortunate to see these guys all played together in the first class competition for my home team, Guyana.

Add Carl Hooper and Chanderpaul with his leggies, and this teak is unbeatable.

Circa 1998-99

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
weird that no-one has actually nominated the attack that inspired the thread: Hazlewood, Cummins, Starc and Lyon w Henriques as all-rounder

which also includes Bracken. The previous season, 2004/05, NSW had an attack of Clark, MacGill, Bracken & Nicholson which played just about every game. They all took 40+ wickets at under 25. It's somewhat soured by Jason Krejza being the 5th bowler (he spent all season at 7 - they were trying to give him the chance to become an all-rounder)
I thought I had an aha! moment when i found a scorecard featuring McGrath, Lee, the Waughs, Slater and co. but it was an ING Cup scorecard. An insane line up regardless.

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
Had a quick dig through the 50's

Would Trueman, Close, Wardle have played together much for Yorks in the 50's?

Bedser, Loader, Surridge, Jim Laker, Lock at Surrey?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

I think in years to come if Starc/Haze/Cummins are all eventually recognised as ATG bowlers then it's entirely possible that this could be the greatest domestic attack in history. But I think we need to see their careers pan out first.

S.Kennedy

I think in years to come if Starc/Haze/Cummins are all eventually recognised as ATG bowlers then it's entirely possible that this could be the greatest domestic attack in history. But I think we need to see their careers pan out first.
We will indeed considering they're always knackered. Cummins breaks down more often than Mark Wood.