• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best English Batsman Since 1990?

burr

State Vice-Captain
This thread just makes you realise how dire England's talent pool has been in the last 10 or so years. Sad really.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:@

Graham Gooch > or at least = all Australian batsmen of the same time apart from Stephen Waugh and Ponting. (Bearing in mind Border was no more than good in the early 1990s and Hussey is a "TBC")

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The clincher for me is that its realistically possible to argue that for a period Gooch was the best batsman on the planet whereas Thorpe would have found it difficult to have even cracked a place in a World XI at any point in his career.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
1. graham gooch
2. graham thorpe
3. kevin pietersen

the three world class batsmen since 1990 for england...

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Thorpe just didn't convert enough 50's into 100's, especially early in his career. Without bothering to sift through stats I think at one point he had around 17/18 half centuries but only 2 centuries, one of those being in his first Test.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Atherton was more World-class than Thorpe for a fair while TBH.
if you consider their entire careers, thorpe was by far the better player but i don't want to get into an argument about atherton, we've been down that road before and it will just go into a never-ending loop....

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah, no way is Langer better and CERTAINLY not Hayden.
Uhm. Could this be the new Hayden-Hussain? Richard's love of 90's English batsmen is sickening. :p

But seriously, we all know your thoughts on Hayden. Why isn't Langer better?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Uhm. Could this be the new Hayden-Hussain? Richard's love of 90's English batsmen is sickening. :p

I think Thorpe and Langer are very evenly matched.

I'd probably pick Thorpe narrowly though, although obviously if you look at just stats, Langer wins.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Thorpe and Langer are very evenly matched.

I'd probably pick Thorpe narrowly though, although obviously if you look at just stats, Langer wins.
I reckon they are pretty evenly matched too, but the way Richard worded his sentence, he obviously thinks Langer isn't close to Thorpe as a Test batsmen. Averages are similar, but I might just investigate a bit further.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
if you consider their entire careers, thorpe was by far the better player but i don't want to get into an argument about atherton, we've been down that road before and it will just go into a never-ending loop....
He certainly wasn't by far the better player, but no, I do recall well your (IMO extremely harsh) ratings of Atherton. So we'd probably best not go there again. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well Thorpe, Hussain, et al aren't exclusively 90s players, but obviously Thorpe was almost always superior to Hussain, and given Hussain's superiority to Hayden, Thorpe's too is merely a matter of course.
Thorpe was a far better all-round batsmen and scored far more runs against tough bowling than Langer did.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Well Thorpe, Hussain, et al aren't exclusively 90s players, but obviously Thorpe was almost always superior to Hussain, and given Hussain's superiority to Hayden, Thorpe's too is merely a matter of course.

Thorpe was a far better all-round batsmen and scored far more runs against tough bowling than Langer did.

So the argument that no one else on the entire Planet agrees with that places Hussain above Hayden automatically makes Thorpe superior to Hayden as well.:mellow:
Not overly compelling.:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So the argument that no one else on the entire Planet agrees with that places Hussain above Hayden automatically makes Thorpe superior to Hayden as well.:mellow:
Well even ignoring the fact that there are almost certainly plenty on the planet who place Hussain ahead of Hayden (there's even 1 or 2 on this forum) it's clear, simple maths:
Thorpe > Hussain
Hussain > Hayden

What does that mean for the Hayden vs Thorpe case? Yes, Thorpe > Hayden. Not rocket-science, as such.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Well even ignoring the fact that there are almost certainly plenty on the planet who place Hussain ahead of Hayden (there's even 1 or 2 on this forum) it's clear, simple maths:
Thorpe > Hussain
Hussain > Hayden

What does that mean for the Hayden vs Thorpe case? Yes, Thorpe > Hayden. Not rocket-science, as such.
The "Planet" statement is a figure of speech, a bit like the "countless hundreds" of bowlers who should have been selected ahead of Liam Plunkett.:)

One day I will get around to reading the Hayden/Hussain debate that gave everyone such a good laugh. I've no doubt there's not much rocket science there either.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, there isn't, rocket-science and cricket have pretty well nothing to do with one another.