• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best England Test Bowler?

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
The Ashes are fast approaching and I wondered which England bowler will cause the Aussies the most problems?

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Not much contest there, Gough has been most impressive throughout his career, uses swing aggressively and is not afraid to pitch it up.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
It has to be Gough. None of the others listed above are really in the picture, and how can you even think of putting Ashley Giles in a best bowler list!!??

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Caddick is too inconsistant, Flintoff never takes wickets, Giles never takes wickets, Jones is too raw, Hoggard had a bad summer...so it can only be The Bansley Dazzler :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Non-issue, this one.

Gough is (with the possible exception of jug- er, sorry, Andy Caddick) the only one worth a light.

Not strictly true. Hoggard's had his moments, Jones could be one for the future. My mum's not with us any more, but she was not really test standard.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I always thought Caddick was a sensational bowler. He has good pace (I've seen him clocked at 90mph+), height and could hit the seam very hard. I'm dumbfounded as to England's treatment of him, especially in the 1997 Ashes series. I swear, when England lost him, they lost the Ashes in that series.

Honestly, England's biggest opposition to success is the selectors and almost always has been. The players who shouldn't be there are and the players who SHOULD be aren't. Caddick is butone example. How about Tuffers, Ealham and Sales for starters?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Ealham isn't very quick but he is very straight so he was allways thought of as a one-day bowler. Tuffers I have allways felt has been badly treated by the English Selectors, he still is the best spinner in England in my opinion and is more attacking than Giles even when Giles isn't being told to bowl outside Leg by Hussain. Sales seems to have been caught up in the county grind. He occasionally pulls out a big score every season but I think he struggles to cope with the fact that he's got to do it so often. If he was in the test squad I think he would find it easier with fewer games, but which are more important.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Originally posted by TendulkarMark2

It seems that almost everyone have been voting for their mom!

L :lol:L
Looks like some people have been showing incredible maturity by repeatedly voting for the same thing.

Most impressive...

[quoteL :lol:L [/quote]
Looks like some people have been showing incredible maturity by repeatedly voting for the same thing.

Most impressive... [/quote]

Yes and that horrible, however u can't blame the Hospital nurses and other staff for doing that coz by now they would be fed up with fragile English bowlers never ending injuries list :lol:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Originally posted by oyesachinoye

I refuse to vote untill Robert croft is installed into the polls!:D:lol::D
You're just trying to get into my good books, oyesachinoye. :lol:

You're beginning to sound like a true England supporter.:P