• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best cricket book

shankar

International Debutant
Which is the best cricket book you've read?
For me it's Dennis Lillee's "The art of fast bowling".It's astounding how much he knew about fast-bowling when he was just halfway through his career. It was a very useful read when I started learning how to bowl.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
DAMN! I was thinking of starting a topic like this but didn't know if anyone read around here.....:P

In any case, my favourite cricket book was The Best of Bevan.....that had so many good cricketing moments that Bevo himself had created and it was good to hear his opinon on it all....

The best series I have read is Steve Waugh's diaries.....they were a good insight into a tour.....did he ever do one for the 1997 Ashes tour because I never did see it anywhere........that would be a good read....anyone know where to get it?

masterblaster

International Captain
Sachin Tendulkar - 'Masterful' is a pretty good read,
also Wasim Akram's biography is great, especially since he's one of my all time favourite players.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
People said Adam Parore - The Wicked Keeper was pretty good, but I've yet to read it.
Atherton's autobiography is good, I can vouch for that. I was disappointed when he retired but now I know how much he had to go through to play I'm just greatful that he's still in one piece and enjoying being away from it.
Dickie Bird's books are fantastic - like just about everything about him.
They say Beyond A Boundary was "the most influential of all cricket books". I've again yet to read that, but it's only a matter of finding the time.

PY

International Coach
Richard said:
Dickie Bird's books are fantastic - like just about everything about him.
Seconded, a true legend.

Got his autobiography and it is brilliant. Shows his true love for cricket and he has so many memories which are really funny. Had a lump in my throat when I read about his feelings on his last Test because when I was watching it, I had a lump in my throat then as well.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Richard said:
They say Beyond A Boundary was "the most influential of all cricket books". I've again yet to read that, but it's only a matter of finding the time.
Midway through it atm - excellent.

However the loan runs out tomorrow so I'm gonna have to hope I can renew it..

Bouncer

State Regular
Imran Khan's "All Round View", I read it when i was in 7th grade in 1994 and it was fascinating to get to know about cricket in 70's and 80's.

raju

School Boy/Girl Captain
Best IMO are Mike Marqusee's 'Anyone But England' and 'War Minus The Shooting'.
Liked Beyond A Boundary but felt it tailed off a bit towards the end. Some very good dtuff in it though.

Not a huge fan of (auto)biographies but still read a few a year if the library has them. I find them a bit disposable although parts of some are very insightful. The worst (like football auotbiogs) are usually written by Fleet Street hacks.

Worst I have read is Dazzler. The first chapter is so hackneyed it reads like a Monty Python sketch.

Special mention should go to Ray Illingworth's autobiography (ghosted by Jack Bannister) from about 1997 on his period as England supremo. 300 pages on how wonderful he is and gloating about his victories...and 3 pages on the disaster that was the 1996 world cup. Never read such a one eyed view of anything.

Langeveldt

Soutie
raju said:

Special mention should go to Ray Illingworth's autobiography (ghosted by Jack Bannister) from about 1997 on his period as England supremo. 300 pages on how wonderful he is and gloating about his victories...and 3 pages on the disaster that was the 1996 world cup. Never read such a one eyed view of anything.

Such is the man himself I am afraid :(

My vote unsurprisingly goes to White Lightning, Allan Donalds autobiography...

The great man talks pretty honestly about his tough life before cricket, as well as his good and bad times on the field... His confrontations with Rodney Hogg and Mike Atherton, as well as the "Run Donald Run!" incident in 1999....

Honourable mention? Dont tell Kath, by Ian Botham....

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Have to be the Warwick Todd Diaries... What a top read they are...

Others of Note...
Steve Waugh "No Regrets" - World Cup Diary
"Punter" - Ricky Ponting Story
"The Dominators" - Australia's World Record Test Run