• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Bowling Attack

Best bowling attack?

• Total voters

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
What about India, New Zealand and England who all have pretty good bowling attacks? TBF you should mention Bangladesh and West Indies also.
...and Peoples Republic of China

They are unlucky in this respect because so few have seen them bowl. But thats our misfortune not a comment on their greatness. :happy:

bond21

Banned
Australia easily.

Even though our attack is weakest it has been in over 15 years, its still great.

Lee the strike bowler, Clark the metronome, Johnson the left arm quick, Bracken the swing bowler, Tait the fast psycho.

As for spinners, no-one knows if MacGill will get in the team, they might pick Cullen cause hes younger. It will probably be between those two.

Our strongest team would be something like this -

Jaques
Hayden
Ponting
Clarke
Hodge
Hussey
Gilchrist
Lee
Clark
Johnson
MacGill

we took a hit big time last season, 4 of our best players retired - Martyn, Langer, Warne and McGrath.

Martyn was the new Mark Waugh, Langer formed the greatest opening partnership in Test history with Hayden, and Warne and McGrath....quite obviously the best spinner and best pace bowler in history next to Lillee.

The_Bunny

State Regular
Aus and Sri Lanka and SA are the only real contenders for mine...
Englands could be world class in the next few years, Fit Flintoff + Hoggard Panesar And a firing Anderson/Tremlett/Broad/Sidebottom...
Well I can dream cant I :p
But going with Aus:)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Stats for fun:)

The top ten bowlers in the world since Jan 2006 (in tests) have been these. They are ranked here in the order of their strike rates (any bowler with less than 10 wickets is excluded)

The top ten are the top ten (or 11) irrespective of what criteria you use .

1. Murali.........SRL.....(1)
  2. Mohd Asif...PAK.....(3)
  3. K D Mills....NZL.....(4)
  4. MacGill......AUS.....(6)
  5. M Ntini.......SAF.....(7)
  6. Steyn.........SAF.....(11)
  7. Clark..........AUS.....(2)
  8. Fernando....SRL.....(5)
  9. Bond..........NZL.....(9)
  10. Zaheer........IND.....(10)
  11. Malinga.......SRL.....(21)
  12. R P Singh....IND.....(18)
  13. Franklin.......NZL.....(17)
  14. Sreesanth...IND.....(13)
  15. Bret Lee......AUS.....(19)

Australia : Their best is ranked at 4 and they also have another at number seven and yet another in the fifteen. Solid inspite of losing Warne and McGrath

NewZealand : A surprise with two in the top ten and another at13. They have always been the most under rated which probably suits them.

South Africa : Have two in the top six and then fall away. Lack of depth ?? Lack of spinners. Kallis not a wicket taking force ?

Pakistan : Asif majestically at number 2 but no one else in the frame. Very poor depth. Living on hype ?

India : Clearly with no single bowler in the very top rung, they rely heavily on the two left handers withthe new ball. The spinners, mainly Harbhajan and Kumble, have fallen away for them. (Powar was in the top ten butwas not included since he had less than ten wickets.

Sri Lanka : With three in the top 11 including the incomparable Murali, now the undisputed best bowler in the world. They seem to have an excellent attack. Vaas is still a reasonable bowler and Jayasuriya has a day or two left in him.

Stats are funny and fun but they do rightly reflect the two top attacks as those of Sri Lanka and Australia.

I would go for Sri Lanka as having an edge (as a bowling attack only) for tests and Australia for odi's. I know these stats are from tests only but from the bowlers listed here, thats a conclusion I think is reasonable.

Of course, Australia,s batting adds yet another dimension to their team strength which makes them so strong as a unit.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible

The top ten bowlers in the world since Jan 2006 (in tests) have been these. They are ranked here in the order of their strike rates (any bowler with less than 10 wickets is excluded)

[*]Clark..........AUS.....(2)
  7. Fernando....SRL.....(5)
  8. Bond..........NZL.....(9)
  9. Zaheer........IND.....(10)
  10. Malinga.......SRL.....(21)
  11. R P Singh....IND.....(18)
  12. Franklin.......NZL.....(17)
  13. Sreesanth...IND.....(13)
  14. Bret Lee......AUS.....(19)

Australia : Their best is ranked at 4 and that is their only entry in the top ten. Their nextbest is at 15 ! That sure is a come down.
:huh:

iamdavid

International Debutant
Read the title: it says best bowling attack, not good bowling attacks, so you can eliminate Eng, NZ, Ind. And Bang and WI :laugh:

With everybody fully fit and bowling at their peak England have just about the best attack in the world atm imo, the above never happens so nobody gives them serious thought...

But if they were able to chose four or five fit bowlers from Flintoff, Hoggard, Harmison, Sidebottom, Jones (I know its been two years and chances are even if he does ever make it back he wont be the bowler he was that one series, but I'm talking hypothetically here), Tremlett, Panesar and in the one day game add Broad and Anderson, they have a pretty formidable unit.

Pakistan also have an amazing attack fitness/form permitting but I believe I read recently Akhtar, Asif and Gul have never appeared in the same side together :-O .... I can only hope it will happen at some stage but Akhtars recent actions have thrown that in jeopardy.

bond21

Banned

7. Clark..........AUS.....(2)
  8. Fernando....SRL.....(5)
  9. Bond..........NZL.....(9)
  10. Zaheer........IND.....(10)
  11. Malinga.......SRL.....(21)
  12. R P Singh....IND.....(18)
  13. Franklin.......NZL.....(17)
  14. Sreesanth...IND.....(13)
  15. Bret Lee......AUS.....(19)

Australia : Their best is ranked at 4 and that is their only entry in the top ten. Their nextbest is at 15 ! That sure is a come down.

NewZealand : A surprise with two in the top ten and another at13. They have always been the most under rated which probably suits them.

South Africa : Have two in the top six and then fall away. Lack of depth ?? Lack of spinners. Kallis not a wicket taking force ?

Pakistan : Asif majestically at number 2 but no one else in the frame. Very poor depth. Living on hype ?

India : Clearly with no single bowler in the very top rung, they rely heavily on the two left handers withthe new ball. The spinners, mainly Harbhajan and Kumble, have fallen away for them. (Powar was in the top ten butwas not included since he had less than ten wickets.

Sri Lanka : With three in the top 11 including the incomparable Murali, now the undisputed best bowler in the world. They seem to have the best attack. Vaas is still a reasonable bowler and Jayasuriya has a day or two left in him.

Stats are funny and fun but I think in this case they do make a good case for the Sri Lankans.

Australia should be next with lots of youngsters coming through butwe will have to wait a bit.

riiiiight...next down at 15? Oh thats right you cant read your own fricking stats.

Stuart Clark, number 7.

But come on those stats are useless. I would take Brett Lee in my team over nearly all those bowlers.

Kyle Mills? Hahahaha joke. Lets put this in perspective.

This chart tells people that Kyle Mills is a better bowler than Shane Bond.

Dont worry about all the other better bowlers, but i will look at purely the NZ team.

Shane Bond is their best bowler in years, he has a guaranteed spot in their team.

Anyway I cannot see one fast bowler on that list who is better than Brett Lee. Shane Bond maybe on a good day, but i mean Ntini? Malinga?

Both of them have flawed as hell actions, Ntini almost falls over when he bowls, and Malinga has a slingy action and bowls relatively slow.

Any team would take Hoggard in their team over most of them, oh why isnt he on the list? Oh thats right, noone listens to stats.

Go look up the "official" ICC greatest fast bowlers in history based on STATS and POINTS.

Sure, Lillee is a shoe in at number 1 right? No, hes not even in the top 15.

Another major flaw with stats. Sure Muraly is a good bowler, but he goes around to bangladesh and all those 2nd rate cricketing countries and gets a bag full.

Basically, stats are completely worthless in picking the best bowlers in the world. So many flawed ways to do it. Michael Clarke had the best average in test cricket history for a while cause he demolished India.

You could have your best bowlers bowling at the best batsman, then some part timers cleaning up the tail and getting higher wicket tallys on the scoresheet. Does that mean they bowled better? NO.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
riiiiight...next down at 15? Oh thats right you cant read your own fricking stats.

Stuart Clark, number 7.

But come on those stats are useless. I would take Brett Lee in my team over nearly all those bowlers.

Dont worry about all the other better bowlers, but i will look at purely the NZ team.

Shane Bond is their best bowler in years, he has a guaranteed spot in their team.

Anyway I cannot see one fast bowler on that list who is better than Brett Lee. Shane Bond maybe on a good day, but i mean Ntini? Malinga?

Both of them have flawed as hell actions, Ntini almost falls over when he bowls, and Malinga has a slingy action and bowls relatively slow.

Any team would take Hoggard in their team over most of them, oh why isnt he on the list? Oh thats right, noone listens to stats.

Go look up the "official" ICC greatest fast bowlers in history based on STATS and POINTS.

Another major flaw with stats. Sure Muraly is a good bowler, but he goes around to bangladesh and all those 2nd rate cricketing countries and gets a bag full.

Basically, stats are completely worthless in picking the best bowlers in the world. So many flawed ways to do it. Michael Clarke had the best average in test cricket history for a while cause he demolished India.

You could have your best bowlers bowling at the best batsman, then some part timers cleaning up the tail and getting higher wicket tallys on the scoresheet. Does that mean they bowled better? NO.
You are a bit late in thrashing me for that error :) .

The error is corected.

Secondly, I started by saying stats are fun. This was put here just to add some spice to this poll. I had no idea what the stats will throw up.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
With everybody fully fit and bowling at their peak England have just about the best attack in the world atm imo, the above never happens so nobody gives them serious thought...

But if they were able to chose four or five fit bowlers from Flintoff, Hoggard, Harmison, Sidebottom, Jones (I know its been two years and chances are even if he does ever make it back he wont be the bowler he was that one series, but I'm talking hypothetically here), Tremlett, Panesar and in the one day game add Broad and Anderson, they have a pretty formidable unit.
Hmm... the strongest unit I could make out of that would be Hoggard, Sidebottom, Flintoff, MSP. This would have pretty much all bases covered, but somehow still wouldn't quite fill me with confidence. Don't really know why.
Pakistan also have an amazing attack fitness/form permitting but I believe I read recently Akhtar, Asif and Gul have never appeared in the same side together :-O .... I can only hope it will happen at some stage but Akhtars recent actions have thrown that in jeopardy.
Just think about if you had Shabbir thrown in there too... and I'm certain that Shoaib, Asif and Shabbir have never played together.

Flem274*

123/5

Stuart Clark, number 7.

Brett Lee better than Bond? Pull the other one. Malinga and Asif are both far better than Lee for a start. never mind Bond.