• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Batsman to Watch?

Eclipse

International Debutant
Who do you think the best batsman to watch is?

I have always thought Brian Lara, Ricky Ponting and Sachin Tendulkar are the best batsman to watch probably because they have wider stroke ranges than most players can bost.

I like the fact they all drive butifully on the up and play exellently of the front and back foot all around the wicket. Sometimes you just stand and think OMG what a shot!! and for a moment you think thats the best shot I have ever seen and then next ball they play an even better shot.

For mine these are the three most talented batsman in the world which does not mean they are necicarily the best but IMO they are the best to watch depending on what you like.

Obviously some people like batsman who just cut lose and slog at everything (Afridi) but I rather watch batsman who play genuine cricket shots and hit them hard or over the top.

krkode

State Captain
I particularly like to watch Tendulkar, Ganguly, Jayasurya, Hayden, Gibbs, A Flower and Lara when in full flow.

All are magnificent stroke players, and especially, Ganguly, when he gets going, it gives me pure joy to watch :)

bliksem

Cricket Spectator
Gary Kirsten. He's super! Not only does he have every stroke in the book, but he's hung like a donkey as well.

V Reddy

International Debutant
bliksem said:
Gary Kirsten. He's super! Not only does he have every stroke in the book, but he's hung like a donkey as well.
:lol: :lol: Are you praising him or what?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm enjoying watching John Davison rip the West Indian bowling to shreds at the moment.

Wonderful!!!!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
One of the absolute greatest ODI centuries I have ever seen.

The six straight back over Merv Dillons head to bring up his hundred was magic.

Now tell me the minnows have no place in this World Cup.

masterblaster

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
One of the absolute greatest ODI centuries I have ever seen.

The six straight back over Merv Dillons head to bring up his hundred was magic.

Now tell me the minnows have no place in this World Cup.
I 100% agree with you Luckyeddie, that innings was magical, absolutely superb!! John Davison has done Canada proud,

how about John Davison talking exclusively with the Duck?

V Reddy

International Debutant
All the minnow teams are looking better than Bangladesh. I wonder whether they would have qualified if they played now in the ICC Qualifying.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If Canada had a better first class system, theres no question who I think should be playing test cricket at the moment instead of Bangladesh.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh dear, just as I praise Canada their middle order is letting them down big time again.

Bangladesh may not have been rolled like Canada for 36 but they've been mighty close to it so I think Canada deserve some credit here.

Sudeep

International Captain
- Sachin Tendulkar
- Ricky Ponting
- Damien Martyn
- Matthew Hayden
- Herschelle Gibbs
- Nathan Astle
- Michael Vaughan
- Sanath Jayasuriya
- Brian Lara

Sudeep

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
masterblaster said:
I 100% agree with you Luckyeddie, that innings was magical, absolutely superb!! John Davison has done Canada proud,

how about John Davison talking exclusively with the Duck?
He hasn't got a duck yet has he? In fact he's done scarily well...

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
Its out of the question for me..... definately Ricardo Powell when doing well, if want to talk about a magical innings, how about his heroic 124 against India in the Singapore cup in 1999, or his 83* against Zimbabwe in the VB series a year ago.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
That's right. I remember that innings from Powell. That match was India's and he simply took it away. I dont think anyone was prepared for his kind of clean hitting.

His legside play does look like Viv, especially when he hits those lofted shots over the onside.
When going well, he's got awesome timing. I hope he doesnt get it rubbed into him that he's got to hit sixes all the time. He's a genuine batsman who is pretty darned good at hitting the bowling around.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Good batsmen to watch- plenty of 'em!

Australia: Hayden, Gilchrist and Ponting against pace, M.Waugh (too bad he's gone)
South Africa: Gibbs, Klusener, Cullinan
England: Trescothick and Vaughan
WI: Lara, Hooper, Powell
NZ: Astle when on song
SL: Jayasurya, Atapattu, sometimes Mahela. Arnold looks very good against spin.
Pakistan: Anwar
Zimbabwe: Neil Johnson come back!
India: Sachin, Dravid, Ganguly, Laxman

Best of the lot: Sachin. Too bad he's had to get rid of all those shots on the onside due to his back problem :( It's simply amazing that he's so good even without some of his best strokes.
Brilliant at picking the length, never makes a judgement error as to whether to go forward or back, awesome off either foot, either side, good postive defense, and has all the attacking strokes there are.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Enough about your personal life Marc! :lol:

I guess any Englishman scoring runs?

No lets see, Tendulkar, Lara, Jayawardene and now Vaughan I guess. They are the classic batsmen. Then there are the hitters who can be more exciting. A Klusener, Afridi, Flintoff, Powell, Davison, Shoaib (!), whoever is striking it cleanly....