• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best batsman against mediocre bowling

Best player of mediocre bowling

• Virender Sehwag

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Rohit Sharma

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • AB De Villiers

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Brian Lara

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • David Warner

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He is, but I do tend to wait till the career is over before judging, especially when comparison is against guys who have finished their careers. Its something I actually learned from posting in CW. I would rather compare Smith to the current players than folks who have retired, put it that way.

Kirkut

International Regular
No votes for Lara yet...which is nice to see.
By no means I was implying that Lara was mediocre. Again, it's about how you can make the best of a good pitch and ordinary bowling by playing attacking cricket freely and entertain fans. I've watched Pujara and Trott leaving half volleys on a flat pitch, so not everyone attacks on flat pitches too.

Kirkut

International Regular
As much as grass courts are of England, NZ and SA and hard and bouncy zero deviation tracks are in Australia.

But forget the rhetoric, the fact is there is actual evidence that tracks left with grass on end up massively disadvantaging one side and also makes the draw a very probable result. You want a pitch to from a grass court to a dust bowl in 5 days, in what is described as an "ideal pitch" by many. I just don't think it is actually possible anywhere. The percentage of help available to every type of bowling and batsmen cannot ever really be equal.

I actually liked the Mumbai pitch against England in 2016. It was a fast track with good bounce but that also turned. I believe they say its the red soil that gives it the bounce and pace but it definitely encouraged the batsmen and the bowlers to be more positive. I guess that is about the best we can hope for, at least in India. Dharamshala in 2017 was somewhat like that too. Dunno if they had red soil there too.
You were right in one of your previous posts about Ponting. He mixes the consistency of Kallis and aggression of Lara to decimate attacks. Should have put his name on the poll too.

Shady Slim

International Coach
as said by others the way you interpret the question really changes your answer here

if you take it to mean the batsman who excels the most in favourable conditions against crap bowlers when they’re mediocre otherwise, which is how i took it, it’s warner for my vote, but if you take it to mean just the batsman who steamrolls crap bowlers (and can still excel in their own right as an elite batsman against good bowling) that’s when you bring in the kallises and laras etc

Kirkut

International Regular
as said by others the way you interpret the question really changes your answer here

if you take it to mean the batsman who excels the most in favourable conditions against crap bowlers when they’re mediocre otherwise, which is how i took it, it’s warner for my vote, but if you take it to mean just the batsman who steamrolls crap bowlers (and can still excel in their own right as an elite batsman against good bowling) that’s when you bring in the kallises and laras etc
That is not needed at all, how well they do in other conditions.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Warner's 2015 Ashes really was a false dawn for him playing overseas wasn't it? He's the biggest home track bully I think I've seen outside of the subcontinent.

mr_mister

I honestly thought W & W bowled full and went for bowled and LBW dismissals because they didn't trust their fielders to hold chances. Don't know where I read that but does it sound plausible?

stephen

I honestly thought W & W bowled full and went for bowled and LBW dismissals because they didn't trust their fielders to hold chances. Don't know where I read that but does it sound plausible?
Partially but the main reason they bowled full was for reverse.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
By no means I was implying that Lara was mediocre. Again, it's about how you can make the best of a good pitch and ordinary bowling by playing attacking cricket freely and entertain fans. I've watched Pujara and Trott leaving half volleys on a flat pitch, so not everyone attacks on flat pitches too.
No, I understand what was the premise of his inclusion in the poll. Sometimes he did made hay while the sun shone...his 400*

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Batty was terrible. And a massive **** to boot.

How tf he ever got that random recall for Bangladesh I will never know. Bloke deserves to be remembered for the hackfraud that he is

the big bambino

International Captain
What a dodge. Ok then, how does that matter in the context of the match? In that game they averaged near 100.

Last edited: