• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Attack

Select the best one

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach

smash84

The Tiger King
He was MoS in both 82 and 87. Kyear as usual ignoring it at his convenience.
I actually wouldn't have a problem if he had any consistent criteria which he evaluated players with and marked down Imran for it.

It's his pathetic reasoning for elevating his favourites and pulling down other players (especially Imran) that is really grating.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
You always seem to bring it up, so I thought might as well point it out and save you the trouble.
Let's be serious for one min.

Its not nonsense, and half the forum thinks it. It's the perception of him and Javed.

The perception has always existed and it doesn't help that his numbers at home severely outperform those away.

So yes, the fact that he didn't average below 25 against any other country save England, with showings of 28's vs India and Australia are a legitimate concern.

smash84

The Tiger King

Its not nonsense, and half the forum thinks it. It's the perception of him and Javed.

The perception has always existed and it doesn't help that his numbers at home severely outperform those away.

So yes, the fact that he didn't average below 25 against any other country save England, with showings of 28's vs India and Australia are a legitimate concern.
Lol, see, I saved you from having to write it up. Your agenda has always been quite predictable.

Half the forum isn't marking him down on frivolous grounds like yourself.

Do you have any clue how the umpires were helping Imran?

subshakerz

International Coach

Not really. The forum considers Imran the 3rd greatest cricketer ever. Many consider his peak among the best of any bowler. They don't downgrade him for being a 'home cheat' like you do and then hide behind faulty reasoning.

We could take this more seriously if you applied the same metric with others ATGs. You never bring up Steyn's high away averages, Hadlee in WI, McGrath vs SA, etc. Everyone here see it with you. You have a problem.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not really. The forum considers Imran the 3rd greatest cricketer ever. Many consider his peak among the best of any bowler. They don't downgrade him for being a 'home cheat' like you do and then hide behind faulty reasoning.

We could take this more seriously if you applied the same metric with others ATGs. You never bring up Steyn's high away averages, Hadlee in WI, McGrath vs SA, etc. Everyone here see it with you. You have a problem.
Don't forget the hilarious contradiction in having Sobers as better than Bradman but Imran barely making the top 10, if at all. :laughing:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
What about McGrath in SA? Is that ATG?

Imran taking 6 wickets a test in WI is meeting ATG standards and every poster here can acknowledge that. Is your standard that you ignore wicket tallys?

This is bizarre to bring up Imran in England as a 'blemish'. In the 80s in his prime he played two series, taking 21 wickets @ 18 in one and 21 wickets @21 in another. You clearly don't know what you are talking about, this is embarassing.
It's hilarious actually.

You always mention his prime when I mention the career, I didn't call England a blemish, I asked where are the sub 20 to 22 averages in and against said countries.

In his career vs and against every single country he played. Total and Away

Australia - 24.95 - 28.51
England - 24.63
India - 24.04 - 28.03
New Zealand - 28.19 - 26.64
Pakistan - 19.20
Sri Lanka - 14.73 - 18.00
West Indies - 21.18 - 25.12

He wasn't constantly great away from home, yes he had good series, but all the greats had them, and he's an undisputed ATG. If we take away rheb'71 series as we should, his numbers in England improve, but are those the away numbers one would expect from a top 5 bowlers of all time.

But compare those numbers to what Marshall did.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I actually wouldn't have a problem if he had any consistent criteria which he evaluated players with and marked down Imran for it.

It's his pathetic reasoning for elevating his favourites and pulling down other players (especially Imran) that is really grating.
Ok, do you think Imran was better than Hadlee and McGrath? Simple question.

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
I don’t see how Imran would become a much better bowler if he had a home/away split of 22/22 instead of 19/25. Its really not a big deal if you perform a bit better at home and a bit worse away.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I don’t see how Imran would become a much better bowler if he had a home/away split of 22/22 instead of 19/25. Its really not a big deal if you perform a bit better at home and a bit worse away.
I don’t know about “much” better but I’ll put it how I see it re: home/away for both batsmen and bowlers.

Generally, its easier for a player to perform at home, they’ve played in these conditions and honed their craft there. This is also true for other (lesser) players in the side. This is why a good away record i.e performing in most/all conditions is very valuable, the entire team will generally perform better at home, if you’re also excellent away this will help your team out far more than being excellent at home.

In terms of some hypothetical numbers…

As an Australian batsmen is it more valuable to average 50/50 or 60/40, if the others will average say 40/30

Or as a South African bowler, is it more valuable to average 22.5/22.5 or 20/25, if the others will average 25/30.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Lol, see, I saved you from having to write it up. Your agenda has always been quite predictable.

Half the forum isn't marking him down on frivolous grounds like yourself.

Do you have any clue how the umpires were helping Imran?
Half your career is frivolous grounds? And what agenda, I don't know Imran and have nothing against him. I find it hilarious how everyone pretends that none of this exists.

And in the last poll, where did everyone rate him, the same place I do. So if they aren't marking him down for frivolous reasons, why then?

And you pretend I'm saying he wasn't great, I'm saying he's not as good as the others mentioned. That's it. You brought the discussion to this conclusion, I didn't.

My argument has been this. Take away the names and consider the criteria.

You're looking for 4 bowlers for a team, let's look at it like preparing for free agency of a draft. You get your pick and you'll chose the last bowler from short list because he goes extra batting on a team where the batting is as good as it possibly gets and all the way down to no. 8 regardless of who you choose. That doesn't make sense to me.

In your mind it adds value, in my mind, while it does that, it subtracts value from the area which is literally the primary responsibility. The last time a poll was done between Steyn and Imran as bowlers it was 33 to 6, I personally have Steyn as my 4th best bowler ever, compared to Imran at 8th. From that perspective why would I go for the lower option. That is not an insane take, it's not even a bad one. Neither is yours, I can says that,@subshakerz though, think it's idiotic and pushes the point to where I must agree with him, as he always does.

Your next argument was that the player add worth to the team, of course he does, but is the offset worth it, to you yes, to me no.
I mentioned it could be what we grew up watching, for me it was never a thing. You can choose to believe this or not, but when I see tails wagging I see it more as a failure of the bowling team to adjust. Even now it's frustrating to see the bouncer tactics and other nonsense used. I've also used the argument that bowling all rounders have not only never been the foundation of dominant teams, almost all of them didn't even have them, and cited that Marshall and Warne served the purpose quite adequately.

I've also pointed out, that for me a strong cordon is even more important than a strong tail, and I myself still wasn't forcing Hammond or Kallis into the team to accommodate that. Now Gavaskar I would bring into the team over Hutton, but one's 8th and one is 9th for my rankings.
Now G. Smith I seriously consider, but that's more because the same way the team benefits from reverse swing on the back end, I find that an aggressive opener serves a similar benefit, the rest is just bonus and it possibly not justifiable. Don't get me wrong though, if S Smith was at, or gets himself to the level of a Ponting or a Waugh Jr in the slips and he regains his form with the bat, he would be in the team over Tendulkar. But again that's because there would be nothing in-between them.
@subshakerz also responded and asked why Hadlee over McGrath and that would make more sense, and to be honest I have no sound reasoning to be against that one, but will respond to that post separately.

Now if you think Imran is a hair behind the top 3, then sure, it makes sense, I don't however, and don't know why I'm not allowed to have that opinion.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I don’t know about “much” better but I’ll put it how I see it re: home/away for both batsmen and bowlers.

Generally, its easier for a player to perform at home, they’ve played in these conditions and honed their craft there. This is also true for other (lesser) players in the side. This is why a good away record i.e performing in most/all conditions is very valuable, the entire team will generally perform better at home, if you’re also excellent away this will help your team out far more than being excellent at home.
Don't know why this is difficult to understand.

That and 25 away just isn't great in comparison to the persons you're being compared to. If you're playing anywhere other than Pakistan, aren't there better options?

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant

Except Imran didn’t really have a problem bowling on flat pitches or in any conditions which you can tell by watching him bowl. Having a balanced home/away split looks good on statsguru but doesn’t tell us anything useful for the ATGs most of the time.

Disagree on performing away helping your team more. That depends on the strength of your team.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Except Imran didn’t really have a problem bowling on flat pitches or in any conditions which you can tell by watching him bowl. Having a balanced home/away split looks good on statsguru but doesn’t tell us anything useful for the ATGs most of the time.

Disagree on performing away helping your team more. That depends on the strength of your team.
I’m not even necessarily talking about Imran, I’m talking about players in general.

The large majority of players perform significantly better at home than away. Therefore, the team will inherently be stronger at home, being at a similar or equal quality away will be inherently more valuable.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
And to take an extreme example using Imran… when playing alongside Abdul Qadir, do you think Imran’s home or away performances would be more important?

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
I’m not even necessarily talking about Imran, I’m talking about players in general.

The large majority of players perform significantly better at home than away. Therefore, the team will inherently be stronger at home, being at a similar or equal quality away will be inherently more valuable.
That depends on how strong your team is. I would agree with that for Aus or Ind players. If you’re on weaker team(Bang/SL/WI pre Shamar)it’s probably more beneficial to perform better at home.

If you think it’s always more valuable then fair enough.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
That depends on how strong your team is. I would agree with that for Aus or Ind players. If you’re on weaker team(Bang/SL/WI pre Shamar)it’s probably more beneficial to perform better at home.

If you think it’s always more valuable then fair enough.
Thanks for proving my point. Windies always had a chance to beat a touring Australian side (even if they were still underdogs), it took someone who could bowl well overseas for them to win a match they never would’ve been able to otherwise.

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
Thanks for proving my point. Windies always had a chance to beat a touring Australian side (even if they were still underdogs), it took someone who could bowl well overseas for them to win a match they never would’ve been able to otherwise.
Don’t think that proves your point. WI are more likely to lose most of their their away series against the best teams even with Shamar bowling very well.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
It obviously is.

McGrath's flat bat dominance, which a good achievement, also is overplayed. Needs to be also looked at relative to the fact that some of the sides he faced in the 2000s were weaker batting sides than in the 90s. He never faced India at home and sucked against SA at home.
This one I would agree as being near impossible to justify.

Hadlee is just a smidge behind McGrath as a bowler, and yes, it seemed that as the other ATG bowlers disappeared and the pitches flattened that batsmen forgot how to face great bowling...

And yes, he's wayyyy ahead as a batsman and while Marshall and Warne are serviceable at 8 and 9, they probably aren't ideal?

I don't know the styles of Marshall, McGrath and Steyn just seem that would compliment each other more? All bring something different to the table.

But yeah way harder to justify.

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Don’t think that proves your point. WI are more likely to lose most of their their away series against the best teams even with Shamar bowling very well.
lol what?

The point is Shamar for example gives them a decent chance away whereas before they had slim to none. What are you not getting about this?