• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ben Stokes - All the facts

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That Holmes woman tweeted that she wouldn’t forget because she has a daughter named Poppy. Some of the replies were hilarious.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
It is actually non-political, the poppy. People who disagreed with the first world war were just as inclined to observe Remembrance Day as people who agreed with the war. Political inclinations are irrelevant as are religious affiliations: it commemorates Muslims who died in the two wars - Pakistani veterans of the old India Army still commemorate November 11th. Very disrespectful from Moeen in my opinion.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Political or not, he is perfectly entitled to choose not to wear it if he so chooses. His reasons are his own. This is a complete non-issue.

S.Kennedy

Political or not, he is perfectly entitled to choose not to wear it if he so chooses. His reasons are his own. This is a complete non-issue.
He is and he has certainly excised that right, however he is representing the English national team on tour who are all wearing the poppy as a symbol of respect except him. Naturally people are going to ponder 'why?'. I do not think it is a particularly big issue either but I do find it disrespectful.

S.Kennedy

You finding it disrespectful doesn't make you right.
I do not think there is a 'right' or 'wrong' here - especially being that we do not know his purposes for omitting the poppy.

We are not going to have another mammoth argument are we, just because I have a different opinion from you (a la that Stokesy mess)? I have stated my opinion and am perfectly willing to let that be that and let the topic subside which is in fact what I will do now...

FBU

International Debutant
He is and he has certainly excised that right, however he is representing the English national team on tour who are all wearing the poppy as a symbol of respect except him. Naturally people are going to ponder 'why?'. I do not think it is a particularly big issue either but I do find it disrespectful.
@MoeenAli Oct 29

Replying to @PCA
Poppy fell off!

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The number of people my age and younger, who I know, that are even aware of the significance of 11th Nov can be counted on one finger, including me!

S.Kennedy

The number of people my age and younger, who I know, that are even aware of the significance of 11th Nov can be counted on one finger, including me!
I once saw a couple of yobs desecrating a poppy reef, throwing it from a war memorial.

eempyrean

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Not looking good.

Did well in the first test with the ball. He still struggles in t20 in general. Still struggles in ODIs with the ball. But it’s besides the point. His track record is really bad now. Just scanning this list isn’t good reading and the court case so far isn’t looking good. Let’s hear his side of the story first though.