• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BCCI rejects 'whereabouts' testing

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Its a tough one TC.

Of course one understands the security concerns. Ditto with privacy. On the other hand the concerns about doping are valid too. I think if both sides understood this much a via media can be found which is what should have been the aim from the very beginning.

I think where BCCI and some of the cricketers went wrong was to talk only of their own issues without uttering the simple "of course we are concerned about the doping issue and we would like to find a way out". At least one official (Shukls-Vice President) and a couple of cricketers went on record to say words to the effect, "When we are submitting to Tests during the events why should WADA insist on off-season testing also. This is harassment blah blah blah"

Surely that attitude smacks of ignorance at the minimum and arrogance to many considering the issues between BCCI and ICC in recent times.

I have my sympathies with the players on both issues of security and privacy but I have none for players going to answer media on their own as if it was a one to one between Zahher (or Harbhajan/Yuvraj) and WADA. There is BCCI and their is ICC. The players have to give their feedback and voice their concerns, individually or colectively, inside the four walls of the BCCI. The BCCI officials too need to be more diplomatic and keep the dialogue with ICC rather than rush to the media everytime something comes up because then it is 'summer time' for the media. The Indian media goes to town painting ICC and WADA with a black brush and the world media does the same to BCCI and the Indian cricketers.
This is immature and irresponsible at the least.
Well, BCCI did say that they are ready to get the players tested during Ranji matches, fitness camps, pre-season camps, etc... and also suggested that if the BCCI is requested to make sure such and such person is available within the next 24 hrs it would do so. BCCI is on record saying we are for drug tests.

Regarding the players, they have all mentioned in their interviews that BCCI will take care of the issue and they have faith in the BCCI. Stopping them from having a word when everyone from A to Z is taking pot-shots at them is not reasonable.

Also the Indian media (print atleast) went about lampooning BCCI and the players. The Hindu wrote an editorial condemning it and many other newspapers followed suit. What has been immature is the immediate anti-BCCI stand taken almost unanimously without looking into the issue at hand.

Craig

World Traveller
OK so the Cyclist have a busy schedule, but the Indians cricketers are at a greater risk.

But since you don't wish to believe so, this discussion is moot.:sleep:
I understand that, I'm just saying it is not impossible to change one's whereabouts, even in the off-season. Look for the sake of my own sanity, can we just agree to disagree?

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
I understand that, I'm just saying it is not impossible to change one's whereabouts, even in the off-season. Look for the sake of my own sanity, can we just agree to disagree?
Just because something is not impossible does not mean that every person on earth can and should do it.:sleep:

Shri

Mr. Glass
So, what is the status with this issue? WADA has gone silent with it's tail firmly between it's legs?

shivfan

Banned
So, what is the status with this issue? WADA has gone silent with it's tail firmly between it's legs?
Nope....

WADA continue to maintain that if the ICC want cricket to be a part of the Asian Games, the Commonwealth Games, and the Olympics, then they need to accept their 'whereabouts' rule, among other stringent procedures concerning drug-testing. The ball is in the ICC's court....

If cricket wants, they can reject WADA's stance, and forget about these Games. I don't think WADA is terribly concerned if cricket takes this route.