• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BCCI Consider revoking Azhar's life Ban.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
No one, when you said 'Think whatever you want dude.' without addressing the relevant part of the post, It just seemed to me that you were opting out of the debate, hence my assumption.

Please accept my sincere apologies and do offer your valuable input in this thread.

Last edited:

C_C

International Captain
I think several matches in Sharjah were mentioned as 'likely fixes' that Azhar did.
However, it isnt required to find a categoric match that is fixed- evidence that he's involved in fixing matches in general is sufficient to ban him IMO.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sanz said:
No one, when you said 'Think whatever you want dude.' without addressing the relevant part of the post, It just seemed to me that you were opting out of the debate, hence my assumption.
My view was clear -

If it was not proven he was a fixer, I would agree he shouldn't have been banned. I haven't heard that theory before though.
I wasn't ducking any thing as it was encompassing. Yet you thought the same. I can't force you on your thinking really.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sanz said:
Please accept my sincere apologies and do offer your valuable input in this thread.
If that remark has been made sarcastically, it isn't needed. If it has been made sincerely, you really don't need to apologise for any thing to me as we both are cool with each other I believe.. Let us focus on the topic at hand. I will put in more thoughts/inputs wherever I feel I can as you say.

Cheers.. :)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
There was no sarcasm in that post. In any case I have already stated my opinion and definately would like to hear other CWItes have to say on this.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
As you said, it is not proved conclusively either way, so why hand out such harsh punishment for something that isn't even proved conclusively yet. Besides it is a function for former India captains, which Azhar is, so I dont see the problem.

It's not like Azhar committed murder or something, he was guilty of corruption and that's it, he didn't play with or risk anyone's life or . Everyone deserves a second chance, this is what sports is and should be all about, IMO ofcourse.
not imo for match-fixing....that should remain a life ban...whoever else were guilty and got off with lighter punishments, they shouldn't have been allowed to play first-class cricket after being found out, that's my take on it....as for conclusive proof, i have a fair idea about our judicial system and how easily people can circumvent it, from what i've read about it and from what i've seen of his performances during the latter part of his career(...and i've seen plenty.....cannot point to a specific game right now but i'd felt several times that he was just not trying enough or taking unnecessary risks while batting{obviously put it down to lack of form at that time}...and this was well before all the ugliness was revealed), i am pretty convinced that he was guilty...

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I never said he was not guilty, but not enough (IMO) to deserve a life ban. At best his crime was corruption in cricket. I dont think of match fixing as some an anti-India crime and Azhar as an anti-national etc etc. Also he is done playing cricket, he is not going to play any International or First Class Cricket, not sure if veteran cricket matches are counted as first class.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
I never said he was not guilty, but not enough (IMO) to deserve a life ban. At best his crime was corruption in cricket. I dont think of match fixing as some an anti-India crime and Azhar as an anti-national etc etc. Also he is done playing cricket, he is not going to play any International or First Class Cricket, not sure if veteran cricket matches are counted as first class.
i do...because of the passion the game evokes in india, because of the millions of fans he duped, because of the low-life underworld scum he allegedly associated with for doing it....

munnabhai

Cricket Spectator
Sanz said:
bottom line is that he is match fixer...he doesn't deserve to stand beside greats of indian cricket. his individual perfomance with bat was disgrace when tendulkar was captain. and who can forget his defense to match fixing allegations "I am from minority community". if i remember people used to spit on his photos in mumbai after match fixing allegations were proven.

Slow Love™

International Captain
I don't really see why Azharuddin's ban should be overturned. IIRC, he did confess to match-fixing in two or three games, but the BCCI was highly suspicious that he'd done more than that, based on his constant affiliations, phone calls to bookies during games, and extravagant lifestyle, etc.

He was also a facilitator, and was the guy that introduced Cronje to his bookie contacts. If Cronje deserved a life ban, then surely so did Azhar.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Sanz said:
I think he can play veteran games. But remember, it's not like the guy is rotting in jail or anything. I think that many people would agree that a life ban from "official" (for want of a better word) cricket is probably appropriate for somebody that held the game in enough contempt to threaten everybody's trust in it to such a degree.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
munnabhai said:
bottom line is that he is match fixer...he doesn't deserve to stand beside greats of indian cricket.
Who are we to decide that ? If these cricket greats have no problem with standing with him, why do we care ? KapilDev, Wadekar etc are on record for revoking Azza's lifetime ban. He sure tried to fixed matches, but he has been punished as well.

his individual perfomance with bat was disgrace when tendulkar was captain.
I am sure you this is a fact and not a figment of your imagination, Azhar test average under Sachin was 45.4 which is so much less than his over all avg of 45.03. May be you were talking about ODIs, Let me see, Azhar under Sachin avged 40+ which I am sure you will find much below his career avg. of 37.

What a disgrace, isn't it, he averaged better under Sachin, despite being at the end of his career for last few years. Next time, please check your facts before making such claims.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
I don't really see why Azharuddin's ban should be overturned. IIRC, he did confess to match-fixing in two or three games, but the BCCI was highly suspicious that he'd done more than that, based on his constant affiliations, phone calls to bookies during games, and extravagant lifestyle, etc.

He was also a facilitator, and was the guy that introduced Cronje to his bookie contacts. If Cronje deserved a life ban, then surely so did Azhar.
Extravagent lifestyle ? Common now, I dont think that should be a reason for suspecting Azhar. Anyways my main contention here is with the inconsistency of punishment and that ICC didn't have any role in handing out these punishments or implementing a consistency. What gives the ICC , now, the right to interfere in Board's decision ?

As for Cronje, who knows what would have been the status of his ban if he were alive. There were already talks of his ban being revoked when he was alive. He was already allowed to commentate and report on the game within a year of his ban.

Sanz said:
Considering what Mark Waugh, Gibbs, Warne etc got, Azhar should never have been given a lifeban. BCCI defiantely erred on this and it's about time they reverse their decision.
I agree with u on this but I can also smell racism from ICC's comments regarding revoking Azhar's ban.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
BhupinderSingh said:
I agree with u on this but I can also smell racism from ICC's comments regarding revoking Azhar's ban.
Pleaaaseeeeeeeeeeeee, Dont bring Racism here.:@ :@

The punishments were handed out by individual boards and ICC didn't have any role in it. IMO, the majority of match fixing took place in the sub-continent and game was losing its fans, its credibility. To restore the faith of fans and integrity of the game itself, both the Boards(PCB and BCCI) took some very tough decisions.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Sanz said:
Extravagent lifestyle ? Common now, I dont think that should be a reason for suspecting Azhar. Anyways my main contention here is with the inconsistency of punishment and that ICC didn't have any role in handing out these punishments or implementing a consistency. What gives the ICC , now, the right to interfere in Board's decision ?

As for Cronje, who knows what would have been the status of his ban if he were alive. There were already talks of his ban being revoked when he was alive. He was already allowed to commentate and report on the game within a year of his ban.
I think Azharrudin has done some commentating as well, hasn't he? This stuff is awkward to police.

I don't really know about the standing the ICC has in interfering in a BCCI decision. To me, this isn't just a matter of inter-body politics, so much as a question of right and wrong, and appropriate penalty. I am only saying that I see no reason for Azharuddin's ban to be overturned. I object to it, and I believe that a guy so associated with the forces that threaten the integrity of cricket, who facilitates and likely corrupts others, and who admits to having deliberately fixed matches should be purged from the higher standards of the game.

I would have opposed Cronje's ban being overturned also. If I remember correctly, he had a few attempts at appealing it also.

Comparisons to Gibbs, Warne, Waugh don't really fly for me. The reasons should be obvious.

Sanz said:
Pleaaaseeeeeeeeeeeee, Dont bring Racism here.:@ :@

The punishments were handed out by individual boards and ICC didn't have any role in it. IMO, the majority of match fixing took place in the sub-continent and game was losing its fans, its credibility. To restore the faith of fans and integrity of the game itself, both the Boards(PCB and BCCI) took some very tough decisions.
No,the majority of match fixing took place in South Africa,England & Australia but unlike the asian boards,ACB,ECB & SA Board were in forefront to coverup the scandals of their respective players.Mark Waugh,Alec Stewart,Shane Warne,Hercehelle Bibbs,Nicky Boje,Hansie Cronje & few others have also been involved in match fixing.

Nishant

International 12th Man
silentstriker said:
Ugh, they should all be banned. For life. Just because the other cheaters got away, doesn't mean this one should.

i agree with u completely, but in a way, azhar is probably saying that if all the others got away with it, why should he be punished? Its like at school; when u and a grp of ur mates are messing abt and u r the only one that gets a detention. U wouldnt be happy abt that situation....and i guess that applies to the azhar ban as well