• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BBC SPOTY 2023

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
Nothing of note seems to have happened this year. England didn't win the cricket, Rugby Union or footy WCs. Our tennis players are now ****, It wasn't an Olympic year , and Lewis Hamilton doesn't win any more.

A good time to put this programme to sleep.

Molehill

International Captain
Nothing of note seems to have happened this year. England didn't win the cricket, Rugby Union or footy WCs. Our tennis players are now ****, It wasn't an Olympic year , and Lewis Hamilton doesn't win any more.

It's the kind of year when someone who is retiring or rides horses wins (sometimes both).

No idea what McIlroy is doing there, he's had an ok year but hardly one of his best.

I suspect our number 1 sportsman at the moment is a 20 year old playing football in Spain!

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah if it weren't for the retirement they'd not have Broad, he didn't have a particularly exceptional year for him. 2011, 2015 and arguably 2020 were better for him off the top of my head.

The Lionesses came closest to a major win but honestly they were much better at the Euros even discounting the final. The only world cup game they were achieving those levels in was the semi final.

Might have been a good year to look at some lesser spotted sports tbh.

Niall

International Coach

Weak year indeed, Ronnie did not win the worlds but still had a big year.

Joh Kerr and Tom Aspinall can all feel annoyed about their exclusion but when it comes to the latter especially MMA does not really connect with the masses.

Molehill

International Captain
Might have been a good year to look at some lesser spotted sports tbh.
Yeah, the one off the top of my head would've been Bruce Mouat who just won the European Curling Championships again (have I mentioned I love Curling?) and is starting to build quite the trophy haul.

2024 is a big year for sport, good to see our athletes not peaking too early.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Yeah, the one off the top of my head would've been Bruce Mouat who just won the European Curling Championships again (have I mentioned I love Curling?) and is starting to build quite the trophy haul.
good sport that (also Worlds and Euros in the same year, you can't really do better)

Molehill

International Captain
good sport that (also Worlds and Euros in the same year, you can't really do better)
The BBC do cover a bit of Curling so surprised they've not included him.

Tom Pidcock also had a really good year on the bike but i can imagine SPOTY has been a bit saturated with bike racefrs
Yeah, and the stigma hanging over a previous winner probably doesn't help.

In my mind, the only possible winner is KJT (which is possibly what they want and why they've set it up like this).

Ali TT

International Debutant
Earps or KJT for me.

I mean the awards Earps has won, alongside her performances in the WC, which were the only reason England got to the final as the rest of the side were pretty mediocre, takes it for me. She'd be a worthy top 3 in a more competitive year.

And she made Nike look ****ing stupid too.

Niall

International Coach
question of sport is gone, tbh not watched in absolute ages, but replacing a pro like Sue Barker with Paddy Mc Guinness? LOL. :laugh:

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
question of sport is gone, tbh not watched in absolute ages, but replacing a pro like Sue Barker with Paddy Mc Guinness? LOL. :laugh:
I actually still caught it now and then in the Dawson/Tufnell era and it was alright. Tried ten minutes of the McGuinness version and it was horrific.

Molehill

International Captain
I actually still caught it now and then in the Dawson/Tufnell era and it was alright. Tried ten minutes of the McGuinness version and it was horrific.
McGuinness has now taken out both Top Gear and QoS!!

QoS worked because it allowed us to see sportspeople taken out of their comfort zones and see if they had any knowledge or personality. As a sports mad kid I loved it. Didn't watch it much as I got older but I was never overly disappointed when I did dip in, the likes of McCoist, Dawson and Tuffers were always good value. It sums up the BBC's understanding and commitment to sport that they got the new version so wrong.

Anyway, back to SPOTY tonight......having it clash with an England Cricket Match, 3 League Cup QF's and the Darts again shows the BBC for what they are.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, it's looking like the weakest line-up since Zara Tindall followed in her royal mum's footsteps by winning in 2006 for pointing her horse in the right direction. Good job none of her kids are old enough to be in contention. I suppose the other weakest winner in recent memory was Greg Rusedski in 1997.