• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battrick Cup Part Four

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
I'm still in the BT-England Cup, but would definitely be up for it if I've been knocked out by the time the CW Cup starts.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
if nibbs wins his cup or is runner-up it'll be 6 weeks before we can start.

If we're going to wait we may as well have some qualifying rounds for the dregs.

but how are we going to judge who are those so called dregs?

The West Indies Cup starts finishes in 4 weeks and I dont think it would be respectful to lower CW members that have just started the game in the last few months to not even get into the main draw

PY

International Coach
Hmmm, my game is against a pretty decent side so not sure whether I'll get through to the next round anyway so I'll almost certainly be in.

I say wait until week 9 and do a roll-call. I'm sure those left out aren't going to cry over not getting into the draw as they'll be on cup runs.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Thanks for the vote of confidence, AussieD! :D

Seriously, though, it's a bit unfair on people to wait so long for teams still in cup competitions.

By my reckoning, we're currently in week 6...which gives us at least 10 weeks for friendlies. I know the season's 18 weeks long now, but I don't think we can count on having all weeks available - there was mention of a Twenty20 cup, for a start.

Anyway, it'd take at least 6 weeks for a decent 16-team tournament:

Wks 1-3: Group matches (16 teams)
Wk 4: QFs
Wk 5: SFs
Wk 6: Final

Ideally, I'd say that we'd need either a two-legged final (with NRR being used if it finishes 1-1)...OR...for it to be played on "neutral ground" - the manager concerned (one of the finalists, obviously) would have to agree to change his pitch to a previously-decided type. This should have been decided right at the start, and should hopefully not matter anyway, as the real season will have ended.

If we extend it to 8 weeks, that'd allow us to either have a second group stage, or go for more teams (I see the last CW BT cup had 24 participants):

Wks 1-3: Group matches (16 teams)
Wks 4-6: More group matches (8 teams)
Wk 7: SFs
Wk 8: Final (or just a single two-legged final instead of SFs)

Wks 1-3: Group matches (lots of teams - groups of 4)
Wk 4: Last 16 knock-out (group 1st + 2nd + best n runners-up perhaps)
Wk 5: QFs
Wk 6: SFs
Wk 7: Final

...or various hybrids, depending on how many teams there are. Of course, by the knockout stage, we might know if we'd be able to use the standard friendly dates during the close season, so we could always extend the SFs/final then.

But that's all not important right now. Can you tell I'm bored? ;)

I reckon we should wait just two weeks, and then start. So, not the coming Sunday, or the one after that, but the one after, i.e. after the 9th league matches. I think.

Right, that's my oar in. Flame away :p

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow. So far we've got 28 teams -

1. Anchormen (Robertinho)
2. Jaffna Jets (chaminda_00)
3. Victoria Panthers (mikeW)
4. Viveash (ash chaulk)
5. Magical Ponies (andyc)
6. Dalmeny Cricket Club (nooga99)
7. Kipper's XI (cameeel)
8. Asterix XI (Adamc)
9. AA for President! (marc71178)
10. GoT_SpIn? (GoT_SpIn)
11. Jamee 999ers (Jamee999)
12. Lancashire (superkingdave)
13. Boggles (PY)
14. Citizens Erased (Agent TBY)
15. bobisback (Bobisback)
16. VCC (Kweek)
17. Central Districts (dontcloseyoureyes)
18. Scaly Piscine CC (Scaly piscine)
19. Zebras (Jungle Jumbo)
20. Clapo's XI (Clapo)
21. Vindscreen Vipers (The Baconator)
22. Xen Cobras (Xuhaib)
23. College Dropouts (brenoevo)
24. Withington Wanderers (Mahindinho)
25. Western Vikings (Hoggy31)
26. Whenuapai CC (nibbs)
27. Drunk XI (33/3from3.3)
28. pup (aussiedomainance)

Are there actually any other CW teams on Battrick? Hmm... there's Morpork, should be more. Will hit 30 I'd say, 32 would be good because then we'd have 8 groups of 4, with the top 2 advancing.

So...
Week 1 (Round 1, Group stages. 32 teams)
Week 2 (Round 2, Group stages. 32 teams)
Week 3 (Round 3, Group stages. 32 teams)
Week 4 (Elimination Finals. 16 teams play)
Week 5 (Quarter Finals. 8 teams play)
Week 6 (Semi Finals. 4 teams play)
Week 7 (Final. 2 teams play)

And then we could have a 3rd place playoff, if it matters at all.

I'm willing to play a hand in running it (sorting out fixtures, groups, etc) but I don't want to do any updating of tables or weekly summaries or anything like that. Basically, there's 4 spots to go - one spot is reserved for Trev (waiting to see if he can play or not). Also looking for Dynamo Morpork to step up... maybe Roar CC too.

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
www.battrick.org.uk

That's the main page. It's basically an online game where you get a squad of players with various skills and abilities with a certain amount of money and have to build a squad using training techniques on various players & dealing shrewdly in the transfer market. Games are only OD at the moment (FC has been postponed about 3 times) and happen on Fridays and there's an official BT-*insert country* cup which begins at start of each season (18 weeks/season) which happen on Sundays. As soon as you're out the cup, the friendlies start and that's where this cup comes in as all CWs play against each other.

There's plenty of people able to give advice and a fair few newbies as well who would be in the same boat who'd make good opponents at first in friendlies.

The other thread is probably best for all enquiries and stuff because that's way more active. :)

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
PY said:
www.battrick.org.uk

That's the main page. It's basically an online game where you get a squad of players with various skills and abilities with a certain amount of money and have to build a squad using training techniques on various players & dealing shrewdly in the transfer market. Games are only OD at the moment (FC has been postponed about 3 times) and happen on Fridays and there's a cup which starts at start of each season (18 weeks/season) which happen on Sundays. As soon as you're out the cup, the friendlies start and that's where this cup comes in.

There's plenty of people able to give advice and a fair few newbies as well who would be in the same boat who'd make good opponents at first in friendlies.

The other thread is probably best for all enquiries and stuff because that's way more active.
Thanks for that.

Count me in.

PY

International Coach
Have you got a team Kyle? There might be a waiting list I'm afraid so I'd get involved as quick as possible.

Oh and bear in mind that the games are played at local time to you so maybe isn't such a good idea to sign up to India when you live in England purely because there's no waiting list. :whistling