• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Benjamins

Who was better?

• Joseph Emmanuel

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm pretty confused since none of them have Benjamin in their names.

Edit! Nvm

Last edited:

andmark

International Captain
I heard a funny story about Winston Benjamin. A village team in England had never had much luck in their league, so one year they hired a professional. The problem was that it turned out to be a young Winston Benjamin. Naturally, he tore through his opponents and won the league. In the winter, he went home, and the club decided that they'd try their luck again. The next season came and they got their professional. It was Curtly Ambrose...

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I heard a funny story about Winston Benjamin. A village team in England had never had much luck in their league, so one year they hired a professional. The problem was that it turned out to be a young Winston Benjamin. Naturally, he tore through his opponents and won the league. In the winter, he went home, and the club decided that they'd try their luck again. The next season came and they got their professional. It was Curtly Ambrose...
It was Chester Boughton Hall, then in the Liverpool and District League - Curtly took 84 wickets at 9.80 so not bad - Benjamin had taken more than 100, but I don't know at what cost

andmark

International Captain
It was Chester Boughton Hall, then in the Liverpool and District League - Curtly took 84 wickets at 9.80 so not bad - Benjamin had taken more than 100, but I don't know at what cost
Here we are, "[t]hat season Chester Boughton Hall won the league by a considerable margin with Winston claiming 106 wickets at an average of 7.57 per wicket. His best performance was 8-20 and he got 5 or more wickets on no fewer than 11 occasions." He scored 400 runs too. It must have been surreal to everyone who saw what was happening.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My mistake.

I do like a random appearance by a top player in a local comp though. I read there was a local A grade park side in Adelaide in the 70s who were scratching for players ahead of a game one Saturday when one of them suggested they pop around the corner to where everyone knew Gary Sobers lived and ask if he wanted a game. The story goes he played for them and went quite well.

I don’t know if it’s true but I hope it is, just for the reaction of the opposition when they rolled up on game day.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
There's a scorecard in "Cricket's Strangest Matches" of a game in 1925 in which Percy Chapman (who became England captain the following year) scored 183 in a total of 201 all out for Hythe Brewery against Kent County Police, Elham Division. Of the other 18 runs, 11 were extras and the last pair of brewers scored 2 and 4.