• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ban Aussies From County Cricket

DCC_legend

International Regular
his words are a bit harsh tbh. i agree with nightprowler, it can only help increase the know-how of young english players.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It benefits English players too, because the level of competition increases.
But that's offset by costs. Do you have any idea the proportional increase in payment required to sign an overseas player compared to a local promising lad?

IIRR it's something like a 300% increase.

Which for many of the middling overseas-players we've got, not to mention all the EU-passport and Kolpak players, IMO does our game far, far more harm than good.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not to mention the younger English players learn a lot from overseas players. Flintoff and Akram played together and as a result Freddie mastered reverse swing.
No. No way. Not even remotely connected. Any more than Jones and Waqar at Glam were.

Flintoff only begun to master the art of reverse-swing in 2004 - 6 years after Wasim left Old Trafford.

And Jones in 2001\02 - 4-and-a-half after Waqar's only season at Glam.

BTW... your avatar? Stationary and RIP? :confused:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
No. No way. Not even remotely connected. Any more than Jones and Waqar at Glam were.

Flintoff only begun to master the art of reverse-swing in 2004 - 6 years after Wasim left Old Trafford.

And Jones in 2001\02 - 4-and-a-half after Waqar's only season at Glam.

There are other examples such as Richie Richardson encouraging Gough to lengthen his runup and bowl genuinely quick.

However, I agree with you that there are high costs associated. Though I dont want overseas players banned form CC. They are important.

Just as its also important to recognise the benefits these stints in CC give to the overseas guys.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There are other examples such as Richie Richardson encouraging Gough to lengthen his runup and bowl genuinely quick.
Really? :blink:

We do have the same Gough in mind here, BTW? ;)
However, I agree with you that there are high costs associated. Though I dont want overseas players banned form CC. They are important.
I don't want them banned altogether, hell no, but I would like "overseas player" slots to be removed so long as the Kolpak and EU-passport ruling stands. And that's likely to be at least for 1 more season - the new draft constitution (drafted 2 years ago - you know what the EU's like) recognises the "specific nature" of sport, which leaves me to hope that it might be recognised that sport is more than just employment. If such players are removed from the system I'd like overseas-players restored.

And I'm certainly not a fan of multiple-overseas-players - that just adds yet more to the costs.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Really? :blink:

We do have the same Gough in mind here, BTW? ;)
Yep, Dancing Darren.

Richie made a huge contribution to his bowling during his stay at Yorkshire. Basically changed his whole approach and mentality to bowling. Helped by changing Gough from a near medium pacer to a whole hearted quickie.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Cripes, I hadn't heard about any of that.

Was wondering, in case you hadn't guessed, if you were referring to yourself.

I mean, I knew Gough was average for quite a while then exploded, but don't even remember much about Richie's stay at Yorks, never mind that.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Cripes, I hadn't heard about any of that.

Was wondering, in case you hadn't guessed, if you were referring to yourself.

I mean, I knew Gough was average for quite a while then exploded, but don't even remember much about Richie's stay at Yorks, never mind that.
Richie played for Yorkshire in 93 and 94. Gough made his England debut in 94.

In '93 Richie basically told Gough to stop bowling that medium pace rubbish, lengthen his runup and let the ball fly. Almost that he was cheating himself by not bowling as quick as he could.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And then a couple of years later some pratt told Dominic Cork the same thing and it had precisely the opposite effect on him and, sadly, he was never the same again. :(

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
And then a couple of years later some pratt told Dominic Cork the same thing and it had precisely the opposite effect on him and, sadly, he was never the same again. :(
Ah, but Gough never got the ball to swing like Cork did. I guess the advice works for some types of bowlers and not others. Cork was a genuine swing bowler at just above medium with a suprising bouncer. THB, I never though he had it in him (ie lack of pace) to make it at Test level. Cork was probably my biggest mistake in evaluating talent (though in my defense he hardly had a McGrath-esque career :) )

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ah, but Gough never got the ball to swing like Cork did. I guess the advice works for some types of bowlers and not others. Cork was a genuine swing bowler at just above medium with a suprising bouncer. THB, I never though he had it in him (ie lack of pace) to make it at Test level. Cork was probably my biggest mistake in evaluating talent (though in my defense he hardly had a McGrath-esque career :) )
Haha, opposite for me. I loved Gough to bits and still do but Cork was, to me, the ultimate bowler (and, IAH, still is - there's no-one I love seeing do well more than him). His form in 1995, 1995\96 and the First Test of 1996 is one of the strongest cricket memories of mine pre-1998.

I was impossibly disappointed when he faded out of the picture following his personal problems in 1996 and only ever had moments thereafter.

I still dream of what might have been if we'd ever got Fraser, Gough, Caddick and Cork together... :happy::sleep:

And I genuinely do believe, too, that had Cork not had his problems in 1996 he'd have gone on to have a long, successful career. Even in 2002 he was most unlucky, being picked when he shouldn't have been and not when he should. As it was, the last memory of him we have is of the 7th ball of a 7-ball over (DAMN Asoka Useless de Silva) going for four. :(

nightprowler10

Global Moderator

Not sure why its so unbelievable. Wasim has said it himself that he taught Freddie. Though I may have gone overboard in saying that he mastered it under Wasim's captaincy.
http://forum.cricketweb.net/showpost.php?p=1082950&postcount=176
:(

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not sure why its so unbelievable. Wasim has said it himself that he taught Freddie. Though I may have gone overboard in saying that he mastered it under Wasim's captaincy.
Well either Wasim's a dirty liar or Flintoff's one hell of a slow learner.
Ah... took me ages, too, but I finally thought to lip-read the "you wanna **** me?" bit.

Thought maybe the girl in question might've been Anna-Nicole Smith. :)

Who did it offend, BTW?

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Enjoy it.

Methinks 't'won't last...

Oh, yeah... enjoy Vincent's innings. 4 let-offs in 1 probably won't happen again for a LONG time, either.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I still dream of what might have been if we'd ever got Fraser, Gough, Caddick and Cork together... :happy::sleep:
You could also add in the guy that had one of the lowest averages of all our decent 90s seamers. Dean Headley

I dont know the answer, but how many games did we have 4 of the 5 playing together in?

I bet not many, probably 0

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
None...? EDIT: I see the same thought occurred to you...

Fraser didn't play between 1995\96 and 1998, and Gough, Caddick and Fraser certainly never appeared together unless I'm much mistaken...

The nearest I think we ever got was 1998 when we had, I think, Gough-Fraser-Cork-Headley in one or maybe 2 of the SA Tests.

Guess what?

We played as badly as it's possible to play in said 2 games.

Headley was so, so unlucky.