• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bad cricketers who played too long

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Because he was obviously class. McMillan said in his book that Vincent was the most talented shot maker in the side (I'll have to double check this after work).
But, he wasn't obviously class. Being an attractive stroke maker didn't make him class; numbers would have done that. But he didn't put them on the board.

At no point was he demanding selection by tearing it up domestically. He was a project. Saying that, I'm not sure he belongs in this thread.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
I see Devon Smith played 43 tests over 15(!) years for the Windies and averaged 24. I don’t recall a lot besides him being in and out out of the side. What’s the story there?

I suppose Ken Rutherford averaging 27 over some 50+ tests is a similar case on paper, even allowing for his horror start in test cricket.
Rutherford was so talented but, yeah, he underwhelmed on the whole. I always felt he deserved his place in the side, though.

Qlder

International 12th Man
I have to bring up the 1979-85 openers for Australia. There were no other options but Rick Darling, Graeme Wood, Andrew Hilditch, Bruce Laird, Julian Wiener and John Dyson were all pretty average, which set a really low bar and resulted in Geoff Marsh playing 50 Tests averaging 33 from 1985

...still a better record than his son Mitch though, who's averaging 30 from 42 Tests

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
Because he was obviously class. McMillan said in his book that Vincent was the most talented shot maker in the side (I'll have to double check this after work).
Craig McMillan is the dumbest bloke on Earth so I don't know how he goes as evidence for an argument.

Plus yeah "this bloke never scores any runs but boy does he Look Class" seemed to be the sole basis for him stealing a living for about 7 years, prior to him stealing a living by match fixing.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I have to bring up the 1979-85 openers for Australia. There were no other options but Rick Darling, Graeme Wood, Andrew Hilditch, Bruce Laird, Julian Wiener and John Dyson were all pretty average,
I know he's a Saffa but Wessels was genuinely good and did very well against the Windies.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Craig McMillan is the dumbest bloke on Earth so I don't know how he goes as evidence for an argument.

Plus yeah "this bloke never scores any runs but boy does he Look Class" seemed to be the sole basis for him stealing a living for about 7 years, prior to him stealing a living by match fixing.
Craig McMillan is a good one for ODI cricket. Averaged mid-20's for most of his career. Seemed to figure things out at the very end but should've been binned long before that.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig McMillan is a good one for ODI cricket. Averaged mid-20's for most of his career. Seemed to figure things out at the very end but should've been binned long before that.
That wasn't actually that bad during his time tbh. Not convinced he could have been replaced by anyone better. If anything I saw him as a bit of a danger-man in the NZ middle order

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I see Devon Smith played 43 tests over 15(!) years for the Windies and averaged 24. I don’t recall a lot besides him being in and out out of the side. What’s the story there?

I suppose Ken Rutherford averaging 27 over some 50+ tests is a similar case on paper, even allowing for his horror start in test cricket.
Glad someone has mentioned Devon Smith, the first name that came to mind pretty much immediately when I saw this thread

Wasn't even close to test class, but in WI domestic cricket he was pretty much always amongst the runs in an era when pretty much nobody else was.

Was a real cycle for a while there, gun it in their FC competition, get selected for Tests, fail to deliver, get dropped, then go back to making bulk domestic runs once again. Rinse and repeat

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Glad someone has mentioned Devon Smith, the first name that came to mind pretty much immediately when I saw this thread

Wasn't even close to test class, but in WI domestic cricket he was pretty much always amongst the runs in an era when pretty much nobody else was.

Was a real cycle for a while there, gun it in their FC competition, get selected for Tests, fail to deliver, get dropped, then go back to making bulk domestic runs once again. Rinse and repeat
Was there a particular reason Smith never kicked on in test cricket? 90% of his tests came in that 2000-2016 period where batting was about as easy as it's ever been and he consistently made runs at FC level.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
That wasn't actually that bad during his time tbh. Not convinced he could have been replaced by anyone better. If anything I saw him as a bit of a danger-man in the NZ middle order
Definitely had his moments. That hundred v Australia in the 07 Chappell Hadlee series was as good an ODI innings as I've ever seen by a kiwi, even if McGrath was rested that game.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have to bring up the 1979-85 openers for Australia. There were no other options but Rick Darling, Graeme Wood, Andrew Hilditch, Bruce Laird, Julian Wiener and John Dyson were all pretty average, which set a really low bar and resulted in Geoff Marsh playing 50 Tests averaging 33 from 1985

...still a better record than his son Mitch though, who's averaging 30 from 42 Tests
Darling was very talented but picked way too soon due to WSC and was basically crucified

Laird was actually good (scored 2 WSC tons against the Windies) and a much better player than someone like Geoff Marsh

Need to keep in mind that acceptable standards were much higher back in the day & Darling was discarded permanently from fc cricket before 30 with a similar career average to Joe Burns

Last edited:

Qlder

International 12th Man
Laird was actually good (scored 2 WSC tons against the Windies) and a much better player than someone like Geoff Marsh
Yeah I remember his debut vs WI after WSC. Was sawn off on 92 and then made 75 in 2nd dig. He had a great first summer but I dont temember him doing much after. Anyway he was only mentioned to show Aus got used to 30's averaging opening batsmen to let Marsh play 50 Tests

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I remember his debut vs WI after WSC. Was sawn off on 92 and then made 75 in 2nd dig. He had a great first summer but I dont temember him doing much after. Anyway he was only mentioned to show Aus got used to 30's averaging opening batsmen to let Marsh play 50 Tests
Must have been a personality thing with Marsh as he wasn’t very good & AB was apparently pissed when he got dropped

Laird’s peak was WSC and 32 was old when he was discarded from tests

WICFan

U19 Captain
Was there a particular reason Smith never kicked on in test cricket? 90% of his tests came in that 2000-2016 period where batting was about as easy as it's ever been and he consistently made runs at FC level.
Anything around off stump or any sort of slow/spin bowling and he was in trouble.