• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Backyard Pitches

slowerball

Cricket Spectator
Hey all

Just wondering what peoples backyard cricket strips look like!

Mine is at my nans house as the backyard is big there. Its basically a AFL ground in winter and Cricket in summer. Before 2013/2014, the backyard pitch was just a dirt patch about 2mx2m (where the goalsquare for afl is) where the batter would be with the stumps, and the rest of the pitch just grass. This season though we put some effort into it, flattened out the strikers end with a light roller from hard rubbish, went and bought some dolomite, filled the strikers end up and flattened it out, rolled it and so fourth and it was flat, looks like a dusty indian wicket ;) Is pretty good for spinners, if you aim for the darker areas you get good turn. Works a charm when used correctly, my procedure before a backyard match is:

2 hours before match- Water the strikers end until its damp and roll it out.
15 minutes before match- Roll it again without water

After match- Water strikers end and roll out
2013-12-30 13.31.30.jpg2013-12-30 13.32.15.jpg2013-12-30 13.34.21.jpg2013-12-30 13.35.36.jpg

2 weeks ago I came up with an idea, to actually make the pitch full length! Using a tarp and a lot of water, I watered the rectangle pitch area which was dead grass, put the tarp over it and have been repeating that ever since. In the last 2 days fresh grass shoots have shot up!! Very green/yellow, which ill let grow and become less patchy, then ill mow it and have this pitch looking good.

Will upload the photo of the new green pitch tomorrow, phone was flat today so I couldn't get a pic of them :)

smash84

The Tiger King
whenever I quickly glance through the thread titles I have to do a double take on this one. At first glance it always reads like "Backyard Bitches"