• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Auto Picks

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
My ideal English side has all 3 of them (Hutton at 3), but if I’m only allowed to take 2 I’ll have Hobbs and Sutcliffe. I know mine isn’t the prevailing opinion but surely people can admit they’re close enough for one not to be an automatic selection.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
My ideal English side has all 3 of them (Hutton at 3), but if I’m only allowed to take 2 I’ll have Hobbs and Sutcliffe. I know mine isn’t the prevailing opinion but surely people can admit they’re close enough for one not to be an automatic selection.
Fair points.

Slifer

International Captain
That was my thought process. Most people omit Sutcliffe but any 2 out of the three would do.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Given that England had 5-6 ATG batsmen and 3-4 ATG bowlers, there is a fair chance that picking Botham would diminish either batting or bowling, when it is avoidable. He is a strong contender but not an automatic pick.

Imran, Kapil and Hadlee are different cases though. They walk into their national teams ATG XI on bowling alone.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Given that England had 5-6 ATG batsmen and 3-4 ATG bowlers, there is a fair chance that picking Botham would diminish either batting or bowling, when it is avoidable. He is a strong contender but not an automatic pick.

Imran, Kapil and Hadlee are different cases though. They walk into their national teams ATG XI on bowling alone.
Similar reasoning for Miller I’d say.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Greenidge the the best of their openers, the remaining spot would be fought out between Haynes, Fredericks and Hunte. Lara and Richards deserve a spot in the middle order on talent/longevity combined. Headley is debatable, as there is potential for Weekes or Walcott to be included in the middle order. Marshall and Ambrose are above all the quicks, however marginal you might see the gap. Other contenders are well known, Garner, Holding and Roberts are the frontrunners. Keeping spot could go to Dujon, Walcott or Hendriks.
Lol.. Sobers so good that it does not even warrant an explanation. :wub:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Lol.. Sobers so good that it does not even warrant an explanation. :wub:
Just overlooked him tbh, knew he was there. I would've only said "Sobers is Sobers" anyway.

Similar reasoning for Miller I’d say.
Miller's interesting. If you're happy with him batting top 6 as a batting A/R (which I am) you're overlooking guys who are (arguably) better bats.

If you're batting him below the keeper as one of the 4 bowlers, he's competing with Lindwall and Davidson, who were both very good bats themselves, and you have to factor in that Miller was best used in short sharp bursts as a quick.

Imo Miller is a lock at 5 or 6 in an Aust ATG team, but I can also completely understand someone's reasoning if they dont even include him and go with 6 bats and 4 bowlers.

tony p

First Class Debutant
Glen Turner for NZ & Hugh Tayfield for SA are auto-picks for me. The best ever opener & best spinner from their respective countries.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Surely you jest. Ahead of Hobbs, Hutton and Sutcliffe?
Now you mention it, many of England's best players have been opening batsmen. Maybe you could make a full team out of them....

1. Hobbs
2. Sutcliffe
3. Boycott (6)
4. Hutton
5. Grace (1)
6. Gooch (5)
7. Stewart+
8. Brearley*
9. Lloyd (4)
10. Rhodes (3)
11. K Jennings (2)

Would probably draw a lot of matches.

crus07

Cricket Spectator
West Indies: Sir Vivian Richards, Brian Lara, Curtly Ambrose, Shivnarine Chanderpaul
England: Kevin Pietersen, Alastair Cook
Australia: Adam Gilchrist, Ricky Ponting, Shane Warne
India: Sachin Tendulkar, Anil Kumble
New Zealand: Chris Cairns, Shane Bond
Sri Lanka: Chaminda Vaas, Kumar Sangakkara, Muttiah Muralitharan
South Africa: Jacques Kallis, AB de Villiers, Hashim Amla
Pakistan: Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, Imran Khan
Zimbabwe: Heath Streak, Andy Flower
Bangladesh: Shakib Al Hasan
Afghanistan: Rashid Khan

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chanders not even in the top 5 West Indian middle batters too. Lara, Sobers, Viv and the 3 Ws ahead for sure and maybe not even the best out of Guyana (Kanhai). On the other hand, Pietersen is one of many not-ATG batsmen that you could reasonably include in an England all time XI. May, Gower, Root etc. How uninspiring.