• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's fourth bowler?

Aussie 4th Bowler?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't beleive McGain got a mention in this thread. Farcical if he even comes close to selection. There are at least 6/7 better FC bowlers than him, who aren't 40+. Who cares if he's a spinner, pick the best 4 bowlers, and he's not even close to being 1 of them.

I voted Tait btw.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Can't beleive McGain got a mention in this thread. Farcical if he even comes close to selection. There are at least 6/7 better FC bowlers than him, who aren't 40+. Who cares if he's a spinner, pick the best 4 bowlers, and he's not even close to being 1 of them.

I voted Tait btw.
No, we won't take Dan Doran for McGain.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Having 7-2 fields for him doesn't exactly encourage him to attack the stumps.
I think that this could also be a specific plan against the Indians, who are so strong off their pads. With his angle, bowling at the stumps leaves little margin for error, and protecting the leg side which would be needed wouldn't allow them to execute their plans properly.

Mister Wright

I think he just hits the seam more consistently than someone like Lee. It's a very talented bowler who can bowl both seam and swing the ball and I reckon his wide bowling in the last couple of Tests has been him experimenting in trying to swing the ball in matches. He'll be a very dangerous bowler if he gets it right.

I don't think the Aussie selectors will play four pacers, though. The Test spot is down to either Johnson or Tait, I reckon. Unfair on Johnson because I reckon he's bowled as well as could be expected from a new Test bowler but I just can't see our rather conservative selectors not playing a spinner.
The decision may be taken out of their hands. Hogg will get suspended. Hope he does tbh. Would love to see four pacers at the WACA.

Mister Wright

*sigh*

I was having a sly dig at the raging Queenslander about how QLD lack a decent spinner at the moment, especially in the FC format.

But some people need everything explained for them.

Doran isn't played as a spinner though. He's a lower order batsman who bowls a bit.

Mister Wright

You think Hogg's suspension will let the Aussies play four quicks? I wouldn't have selected Hogg anyway...
I was referring to Top_Cat's post (note to Richard here :wink:) where he said the selectors wouldn't go in without a spinner. I was saying the decision might be taken out of their hands if Hogg is suspended. Personally I would play 4 quicks. It's time.