• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's batting in the '93 ashes

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was before my time but just glancing at the statistics, it struck me as pretty interesting.

All members of the top 7 averaged 40+ and scored at least one ton (Slater, Taylor, Boon, The Waughs, Border and Healy)

6 of the top 7 scored at least 400 runs, with Healy falling short of that but still contributing a respectable 292 runs @ 59 batting at 7.

How many of these things are records? Just seems like everybody was in amazing form

HeathDavisSpeed

Hmmmm. It was at Lord's in that series where the Australian top 4 all scored tons (well, Mark Waugh out for 99)

And of course, as I've mentioned many, many times before - I was at the ground the day Athers was run out for 99. Wonderful stuff.

They also racked up a massive score in one of the other Tests (Headingley?)

mr_mister

England in the 2010/11 ashes could lay a similar claim (6/7 for 40+ averages and 6/7 got at least one ton) but for Collingwood playing through the whole series and not even getting a fifty.

Only 2/7 achieved the 400 run barrier but there was one less test played which kinda evens that out

Molehill

International Captain
England in the 2010/11 ashes could lay a similar claim (6/7 for 40+ averages and 6/7 got at least one ton) but for Collingwood playing through the whole series and not even getting a fifty.

Only 2/7 achieved the 400 run barrier but there was one less test played which kinda evens that out
Also, 3 of those matches were innings victories whilst at Brisbane only 3 batted in the 2nd dig (517-1).

Not easy to get over 400 runs from 6 innings which is what 4-7 were doing.

Molehill

International Captain
Technically it was England's tour to the Carribbean the following winter as the first test, abandoned after ten overs, still counts even though an additional match was added to the schedule.
You'd be annoyed if you were one of the three who was out on that minefield counting against your average.

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
Hmmmm. It was at Lord's in that series where the Australian top 4 all scored tons (well, Mark Waugh out for 99)

And of course, as I've mentioned many, many times before - I was at the ground the day Athers was run out for 99. Wonderful stuff.

I was barman to the Aussie team at their hotel in the Leeds test. Boon was on a ton not out.

I'll claim his early wicket on the following day.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I think it was the Sun which ran with “Waugh Fails” as its headline the next day.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Less consistently solid than the 93 Australians, but Pakistan's batters v India in 1982-3 had fun:

Mohsin Khan: 341 @ 56.83
Mudassar Nazar: 761 @ 126.83
Javed Miandad: 594 @ 118.80
Zaheer Abbas: 650 @ 130.00
Saleem Malik: 227 @ 30.50
Imran Khan: 247 @ 61.75

Though I should point out that Imran was actually batting at 7: Mansoor Akhtar, Wasim Raja, Majid Khan and Haroon Rashid between them filled the other batting spot... and scored 50 @ 8.33.

In the 1938-9 SA v Eng series (the one with the 10-day final Test), Hutton, Gibb, Paynter, Hammond, Ames, Edrich and Valentine all averaged at least 40 for England, but Hutton didn't score a hundred. Mitchell, van der Bijl, Rowan, Nourse, Dalton and Melville also all average at least 40 for SA (though Dalton and Melville weren't always batting in the top 6).