• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's 400th Cricketer

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hogg's had to play India in his return to test cricket. Aussie spinners have done much better vs Pakistan historically than vs India. He may do ok there, who knows?

pasag

RTDAS
Then you're not looking towards the future are you? Best experience is gained on the international stage.
Nah, I think Goughy said it best once - Test cricket is not a training ground. That's FC, ODI, Twenty20s and perhaps Tests against Bang and Zim. The only time I'd advocate youth like this is when two players are more or less similar and one is much younger than the other.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Try, mate. Try. See how they go. Just pick them. I know it sounds stupid but hey why not take a gamble?
The problem is we don't have a reliable # 1 spinner in order to take the gamble. If Warne was there, or the McGill of a couple of years ago, no problem taking Cullen and/or Heal, however our best spinners appear to be McGill, Hogg and McGain, all of which are over 35.

Having said that, unless Hogg cleans up India in the 2nd innings, I think the selectors will take McGill and Cullen, so Noffke still looking best for the # 400

pasag

RTDAS
Nah. He's finished. Or should be.
Why should he be? Because he played the best spin playing batting line up in the world? Hardly fair. Give him more of a go for mine, if he fails against Pak and WI fine then the calls for his head will be somewhat justified.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
And today's future?
Will be tomorrow's present. When tomorrow's present comes, you'll still be calling for Australia to look towards tomorrow's future, and the team will never actually get anywhere as the here and now will be lost in the myth of "they'll get better".

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
McGain should make the Test squad ahead of Hogg. The guy is just useless at Test level, couldn't even take wickets against Zimbabwe.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Then you're not looking towards the future are you?
No, I am not. Nor should I be.
So you don't want long-term success?
Long term success will not come from playing **** players in tests just because they are 22. Long term success will come from picking your best eleven for each match. Yesterday's future is today's present.
And today's future?
Will be tomorrow's present. When tomorrow's present comes, you'll still be calling for Australia to look towards tomorrow's future, and the team will never actually get anywhere as the here and now will be lost in the myth of "they'll get better".
Exactly. It's just mad how so many people go on, with virtually every player, about "one day we'll have to do without him" so we've got to start grooming his replacement. Well, yeah, one day we will. And one day we'll have to do without the 4-year-old kid who's going to be a superstar in 2030. Should we be worrying about what we're going to do when he retires and try to start grooming his replacement? No. Worry about the future only when the future has become the present. Plan for the future; don't try to live the future as the present.
Huss said:
Best experience is gained on the international stage.
Well, yes, but a) experience is hopelessly overrated and b) you won't get anywhere by gaining experience if you lack the ability. You are never, ever going to get anywhere without the skills, even if you might at some point in the future possess them.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why should he be? Because he played the best spin playing batting line up in the world? Hardly fair. Give him more of a go for mine, if he fails against Pak and WI fine then the calls for his head will be somewhat justified.
What's he played now 7 or 8 tests and still has a bowling average of 50. He has played the Windies and got dropped after two tests.

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
Just some odds on the topic we have been presented...

Haddin - $1.80
McGain - $3.80
D.Hussey - $5.50
Noffke - $12
Ronchi - $15
Heal - $15
Pomersbach - $18
Hilfenhaus - $18
Bollinger - $25
White - $35
Voges - $35

Last edited:

sideshowtim

Banned
Just some odds on the topic we have been presented...

I'll give some odds:

Haddin - $1.80
McGain - $3.80
D.Hussey - $5.50
Noffke - $12
Ronchi - $15
Heal - $15
Pomersbach - $18
Hilfenhaus - $18
Bollinger - $25
White - $35
Voges - $35
Noffers at 12 bucks? I'll put a hundy on that.