• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australiand Domestic 20/20 Competition Confirmed

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Twenty20 competition confirmed

Twenty20 competition confirmed
January 31, 2005

AUSTRALIA's state sides will contest a Twenty20 competition next summer, Cricket Australia has confirmed.

Six matches will be played in January 2006 between the New Year's Test in Sydney and the triangular one-day series – with every state to host one match –.

Australia's first organised tournament comes after strong crowds attended Twenty20 matches in Perth, Adelaide and Hobart this year, and it will be played in addition to the Pura Cup and ING Cup competitions.

A Twenty20 final will also be played at a venue yet to be determined.

In other developments announced today, Hobart will host its first Test since 2001-02 next summer, against West Indies, while Perth will host one of the three Tests against South Africa.

There was also good news for Adelaide, which will host one of the tri-series finals along with Sydney, with Brisbane to host the third final, if required.

Melbourne, which has traditionally hosted one of the tri-series finals, will instead host the three limited-overs clashes between Australia and a Rest of the World XI in October, which will kick off the 2005-06 international season.

Twenty20 cricket had made a good first impression with Australian crowds, Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland said.

"The Australian public has told us they love Twenty20 and we want to offer fans in each state a chance to see this exciting new format next summer," he said.

"We were particularly interested to see new, first-time spectators in Perth, Adelaide and Hobart, including young people, families and girls and women.

"We also believe it is possible that players, once they get some experience with this new format, might learn skills that might transfer to the ODI arena in the same way that skills learned in 50-over cricket have transferred to longer forms of the game."

The format of the Twenty20 competition is yet to be set, but the finalists are likely to be decided on a points basis.

South Africa and West Indies will both play three Tests in Australia in 2005-06, while Sri Lanka is expected to take the Windies' place in the tri-series alongside the Proteas.

While the dates and venues for the Tests are yet to be set, Hobart fans will be delighted at news of a Test, the first at Bellerive Oval since the rain-affected draw Australia and New Zealand played in 2001-02.

AAP

Linda

International Vice-Captain
I'd really like to see Twenty20 stay at domestic level. A competition like that sounds great, but to go further would be a bit much, imo.

I'm glad Perth got South Africa. There are ALOT of South Africans here! One is living in my house...! Hopefully a good match after the miserable Zimbabwe and Pakistan Tests.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Linda said:
I'd really like to see Twenty20 stay at domestic level. A competition like that sounds great, but to go further would be a bit much, imo.
A bit much to hope for, in my view. There's already two international matches this year to kick off the New Zealand tour and the Ashes, and chances are there will be more.

Linda

FaaipDeOiad said:
A bit much to hope for, in my view. There's already two international matches this year to kick off the New Zealand tour and the Ashes, and chances are there will be more.
Yeah maybe, but I cant see too much more just yet. Particulary because they keep harping on about work overload, especially for the fast bowlers, and the fact that audiences (at least in this country) are pretty healthy for ODI's.

Blaze

Banned
Why aren't they keeping with the traditional NZ SA Aus VB series. I don't see why they would bring in Sri Lanka..unless NZ won't compete in these competitions now that the Chappell Hadlee series exists

Deja moo

International Captain
Blaze said:
Why aren't they keeping with the traditional NZ SA Aus VB series.
Because persisting with AUS-SA-NZ and AUS-PAK-WIN means India gets stuck in the AUS-IND-ZIM setup. It really sucks, I tell you.

Josh

International Regular
YEH!! Hobart is back baby!! One of my favorite grounds.

Still, not hosting a VB Series Final at Melbourne kind of astonishes me...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
why aren't they taking away a final from sydney if they're getting the 6 day supertest? arrrgh, sydney runs the world.

anyhoo, i was expecting 20-20 to come in as a precursor to each ING game, like a warm-up the day before. but good luck to them. hope they enjoy the three years that it lasts.

Mister Wright

Josh said:
YEH!! Hobart is back baby!! One of my favorite grounds.

Still, not hosting a VB Series Final at Melbourne kind of astonishes me...
Oh Boo Hoo. You can't have your cake (the super series) and eat it too (the VB Series final).

There are other states in Australia besides N.S.W. & Victoria. Do they give out atlas down south?

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
I've already stated how im not a fan of 20/20 cricket, but i can see it's place in the cricketing calendar.

I would not like to ever be given an Official international status. For one i just don't think it's cricket, and for two we would get overkill BIG TIME of it. You think the one day situation is out of hand now, wait to see what happens if 20/20 becomes an international format of the game.

But i can see it's place, in terms of Australia, as a one weekend domestic gala competition, starting on the friday and finishing on the sunday night in prime time with the final. This could be done twice a year. Vic and Tas could host them for the first competition, then later that season Qld and NSW the second event of the season. then the next season WA and SA could host them together along with Vic and Tas. So over a three year period, each state would host the competition twice.

In terms of internationals, nothing more than touring matches against composite home teams in non major cricketing venues.

So for the upcoming Ashes, go to Holland, Germany and Spain to play matches between an Australian XI and a composite English team maybe mixed in with a few of the locals....

Blaze

Banned
Deja moo said:
Because persisting with AUS-SA-NZ and AUS-PAK-WIN means India gets stuck in the AUS-IND-ZIM setup. It really sucks, I tell you.

Yeah it just seems pretty suspect because last time the series was played with these three teams was the last time Aus missed out on the playoffs.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Deja moo said:
Didn't they have Aus-Ind-Pak back in the 1999/2000 series? Are there any specifics about this, or is it totally random because Aus-Pak-WI has occurred quite often.

Josh

International Regular
Mister Wright said:
Oh Boo Hoo. You can't have your cake (the super series) and eat it too (the VB Series final).

There are other states in Australia besides N.S.W. & Victoria. Do they give out atlas down south?
I'm not saying it just because I'm from Melbourne. MCG is the ground with highest capacity in the country, seems logical to hold the final there is all I'm saying. It is s'posed to be all about money these days 8-)

Mister Wright

Josh said:
I'm not saying it just because I'm from Melbourne. MCG is the ground with highest capacity in the country, seems logical to hold the final there is all I'm saying. It is s'posed to be all about money these days 8-)
I'm quite sure they will sell out all the super series games, so they will have a bit of extra money in the pocket. I'm sure all the other grounds will be sold out, so there is no chance of losing money. Next year when there is no super series I'm sure Melbourne will have a final game.

Josh

International Regular
Good point.

I think the super series games should've been shared with Perth & Brisbane tho.

Mister Wright

Josh said:
Good point.

I think the super series games should've been shared with Perth & Brisbane tho.
That's a lot of transportation and set-up costs though. I'm not sure all those players would like to go across the country and back again.

Linda

Mister Wright said:
That's a lot of transportation and set-up costs though. I'm not sure all those players would like to go across the country and back again.
Even a West Aussie will admit that having finals or one off games ect. over here would be stupid. Its a 4-5 hour flight, for starters.

chris.hinton

International Captain
I think that the reason why some Aussies dont like the idea of Twenty20 Competition, is because the English invented the game?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
chris.hinton said:
I think that the reason why some Aussies dont like the idea of Twenty20 Competition, is because the English invented the game?
Yeah, that's the same reason we all hate cricket as a whole. Oh... wait...