• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Thread

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't see how Great Britain can compete as such. They should be separate countries. England, Wales, etc...

On a side note. How refreshing was the hurdler's reaction when she won Silver. Her interview with Pat Welsh was just GOLD! No clichés just pure joy. Loved it.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I don't see how Great Britain can compete as such. They should be separate countries. England, Wales, etc...
They aren't separate countries, England and Scotland are joined in union and Wales is a principality. The IOC (and quiet frankly anyone who watches the opening ceremony) would probably prefer less countries in the games, they certainly wouldn't let us compete as England, Scotland etc.

The reasons we compete as separate in other sports is historical and FIFA especially would prefer us to compete as GB, that's why Scotland and Wales are so against competing as GB in the football in the games as it creates a precedent for FIFA to attack.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Not quite, it's part of the UK. In the Olympics we actually compete as GB & NI but it pretty much gets abreviated to GB. The full title of the UK is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I saw something on the news about that cabbie driver of Indian descent whose apparently a gun wrestler, and if he wins a gold medal, he'll be the first Australian of Indian descent to do so. That'll be cool.
News on Mr Kumar: may have a decent chance of a medal, or lose in the first match (where he faces 2007 World silver medallist Yusup Abdulsalamov).

Johnners

Oh ****ing hell Ch7. Show the Boomers ffs, nobody cares about the ****ing softball, we're guaranteed a medal so show us something different. 3 straight hours of softball, and not one single ****ing update/break etc. apart from ****ing ads. Will miss basically the entire first quarter of the BBall ffs.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Oh ****ing hell Ch7. Show the Boomers ffs, nobody cares about the ****ing softball, we're guaranteed a medal so show us something different. 3 straight hours of softball, and not one single ****ing update/break etc. apart from ****ing ads. Will miss basically the entire first quarter of the BBall ffs.
Nah, completely disagree. Was absolutely enthralling, despite the loss. And I really want to watch the Boomers/US match.

End of that second quarter was l4m3. :(

Johnners

It may have been exciting if they didn't show the entire match. I would have had no problem if they'd chucked in some of the diving etc. as well, but to show 3 and a half hours of the 1 sport, without so much as an update, is atrocious.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
What happened?
Didn't concentrate too much, but from what I gathered the race was really slow (a Swiss guy with 13:25 tried to up the pace and ran 100 meters ahead) then the Africans just ran away from him on the final lap. Finished 2 seconds short of last qualifying place.

Johnners

Finally got to see it. Gutted, just played into the hands of the blokes who're fast over the final lap. :(

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Didn't concentrate too much, but from what I gathered the race was really slow (a dude from Qatar with 13:25 tried to up the pace and ran 100 meters ahead) then the Africans just ran away from him on the final lap. Finished 2 seconds short of last qualifying place.
Fix'd iirc.