• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection thread 2015/16

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't think it's silly to be worried about the prospect of a drawn series tbh. The pitches can be serious roads at times.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I've got no real issue with Voges continuing to be selected in isolation, but man I really hope Clarke wasn't pushed if that's the case. I know his back injuries are getting worse and he's not what he was, but I definitely still think he had more to offer than Voges despite that. I'm going to assume for now (in spite of what I've been told) that Clarke wasn't pushed as it doesn't make much sense otherwise, but if I find out later that he was I'll be extremely annoyed, and I'm not exactly a Clarke fanboy.
Syndey grade circles at it again?

the big bambino

International Captain
While excited by Bancroft as a prospect I wouldn't pick him just yet, though I get it if he is with so many vacancies and recent good sub con form. I'd keep Cowan in the bank atm and reckon his doggedness against the Kiwi bowlers would be an asset. Now that Watto's gone and Warner's injured my batting side for the BD series is Burns, Khawaja, Smith, S Marsh, Voges, M Marsh. Time to get on board with Burns and give him a good run as opener or no.3 (should Cowan come back in the side this summer - or Khawaja stays on Warner's return - and Smith moves to 4).

I'm resigned to S Marsh getting a gig and tbf he has form in the sub con. Though I'd be disappointed if runs v BD get him a run against NZ. Maybe he score a squillion and then miss out this summer due to one of his famous injuries.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wouldn't surprise me if SMarsh has had his card marked "never to play again " as, for all his faults, he is a bloody good short format player and the fact that he has been thrown out with the dishwater for the ODI series might mean something

Then again, knowing our selectors, he's just as likely to be made VC

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd be pissed if I was Bangladesh or a supporter tbh

You try your best, you even win a few series (ODI) against the higher ranked sides, but they're always resting half their ****ing team and you never seem get the chance to actually prove themselves against a lot of full-strength opposition.

Now this Aus tour, they are resting pretty much their entire fast bowling unit and half their batsmen are injured/retired/whatever.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Who cares they're still tests

And a series win against Aust is huge, and quite plausible

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who cares they're still tests

And a series win against Aust is huge, and quite plausible
I would care. A lot. Nothing would piss me off more than media/fans dismissing a hard fought win because the opposition wasn't full strength anyway.

Spark

Global Moderator
While excited by Bancroft as a prospect I wouldn't pick him just yet, though I get it if he is with so many vacancies and recent good sub con form. I'd keep Cowan in the bank atm and reckon his doggedness against the Kiwi bowlers would be an asset. Now that Watto's gone and Warner's injured my batting side for the BD series is Burns, Khawaja, Smith, S Marsh, Voges, M Marsh. Time to get on board with Burns and give him a good run as opener or no.3 (should Cowan come back in the side this summer - or Khawaja stays on Warner's return - and Smith moves to 4).

I'm resigned to S Marsh getting a gig and tbf he has form in the sub con. Though I'd be disappointed if runs v BD get him a run against NZ. Maybe he score a squillion and then miss out this summer due to one of his famous injuries.
That batting lineup, jesus. Not saying we have better but that's even more depressing on paper than our 2012-3 lineup.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
warner
bancroft
burns
smith
maxwell
nevill
faulkner

its the future
I'm a Nevill fan but it's way too early to be thinking he can bat 6 just so you can squeeze the Big Show and Dui into the same team. Nevill showed a technical fault between bat and pad in England. Think you need a guy like Lynn at 5 and then Marsh/Big Show/Dui can fight out the 5th bowler/allrounder spot.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
can't say bancroft hasn't done enough yet to warrant selection and then put forth usman khawaja who besides averaging 25 from his 9 tests hasn't scored a first class 50 in yonks.

I'll take the bloke who scored a ton on an A tour to India recently before the bloke who scored a nice list a ton at North Sydney oval almost a year ago

Andre

International Regular
Reckon one of Maxi Klinger or Bailey will be a smokey for the tour - no Warner, Haddin, Clarke, Watson, Johnson, Buck so there is a massiv leadership void.

Not sold that Nevill is over the line either; he'll go on this tour but really needs runs, his batting looked a touch limited for my liking in England and I reckon Wade will be breathing down his neck as his glove work has improved.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I wonder who would captain if Smith got injured on the morning of the first test. I guess it might be Voges which is weird.

Handscomb inclusion in the ODI might make him a bolter for Test selection. Distinctly remember Vic Orth excited by his ability against spin. Yes I'm aware he made 0&0 in his last 2 bats for Aus A..