• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2021-2

Number 11

State 12th Man
They will probably keep Starc to start with for team spirit and loyalty reasons. If he continues to under perform I can see Richardson playing later in the series using the 'rest and rotation' premise.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It really wouldn't be ballsy at all. Records are in the past, now is what matters, or the only way guys would drop out of the team is if they retire. There's a frustrating inability to admit the obvious. Just because somebody has bene good in the past doesn't mean they deserve to stay in the team if there is someone better now. Incumbency is taken too far as a concept.
FTR I'm not saying it should be ballsy. But it's definitely on the ballsy side by most national selector standards.

Like I would have little hesistation (at this point) in picking Richardson over Starc, and that's coming from someone who's (relatively) a Starc defender (I wouldn't drop Starc for Neser let alone a Boland/Abbott). But the higher up's do give a lot of leeway towards incumbency.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think giving weight to incumbency is inherently a bad thing, certainly preferable to constant chopping and changing in the hope something sticks

It is of course different when there is a clear strong alternative option there, but I don't believe at all in dropping players because they "need to go" or some bull**** like that

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looks like Carey will get the gig

Hope that he does well but totally underwhelming as he’s neither the best keeper or batsman

Gob

International Coach
I don't think there is a huge gulf between Inglis and Carey as batsmen. Both are better than Paine by a considerable margin

I've said this before too that there are 3 tours to the subcontinent for this WTC cycle. So keeping up to spin is massively important and I have no idea who is better at it. Maybe Inglis slightly

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think there is a huge gulf between Inglis and Carey as batsmen. Both are better than Paine by a considerable margin

I've said this before too that there are 3 tours to the subcontinent for this WTC cycle. So keeping up to spin is massively important and I have no idea who is better at it. Maybe Inglis slightly
Neither are wade tier of lol-bad to spin and that's all that we need to worry about honestly. Inglis is the better batsmen vs spin and has a higher ceiling than carey, but carey has marginally better fc stats and is an established international cricketer in odi's, don't mind either.

It's not an england buttler vs foakes type situation where one player has significantly better fc stats, is a better keeper and for a large period had a better test record but didn't get picked because the other was an odi ATG and england love picking white-ball cricketers who are mediocre in red ball for some reason.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I think Carey will get the gig too.

Is Green locked to start Ashes?
Fairly safe to say he is, was our best bat bar smith and marn in the india series on debut and has done nothing wrong domestically since then, top run scored in the shield after that and averaging 40-odd this season.