• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2019-2020

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can't fathom how anyone could actually think getting 10ish overs out of Wade is a realistic option, I know his meme bowling can be fun to watch sometimes but let's be serious here, it just isn't viable or practical in the slightest

I almost rated Mike Hussey higher as a troll med bowler ffs
Not sure what you mean by this. Hussey was a way better bowler than Wade

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Wade is gonna be just as effective as someone like Stoinis. Maybe ten overs is too generous but five an innings is hardly absurd to help with rotations and to keep the quicks fresh.

Burgey

This obsession with an all rounder by Australia becomes really absurd when it gets down to "hopefully bowls 8 overs a day or so." Which means you're saving the other four bowlers all of 12 balls each over a day. I mean, come on.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
This obsession with an all rounder by Australia becomes really absurd when it gets down to "hopefully bowls 8 overs a day or so." Which means you're saving the other four bowlers all of 12 balls each over a day. I mean, come on.
Absolutely Burgey, but as you said a few days ago, they’re likely to pick MMarsh for Melbourne. He’s not one of our best batsmen, so they just keep picking the allrounders. Very frustrating when the job they do doesn’t really add much.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
The ongoing debate about whether Smith should return to the captaincy is missing the point for mine.

The issue isn't how good a bat he'll be, it's how good a captain he would be.

As I've said previously, I never felt he was particularly impressive or a natural for the role. Never really impressed tactically but more significantly didn't seem to be suited to the leadership aspects. Visibly struggled on tours like SL 16 when things went awry and the ball tampering incident wasn't the only time where he lacked leadership; the fact that Wade was effectively brought in during the 17/18 season to provide what was lacking another example.

Warner always felt a more natural leader but that ship has sailed.

TheJediBrah

The ongoing debate about whether Smith should return to the captaincy is missing the point for mine.

The issue isn't how good a bat he'll be, it's how good a captain he would be.

As I've said previously, I never felt he was particularly impressive or a natural for the role. Never really impressed tactically but more significantly didn't seem to be suited to the leadership aspects. Visibly struggled on tours like SL 16 when things went awry and the ball tampering incident wasn't the only time where he lacked leadership; the fact that Wade was effectively brought in during the 17/18 season to provide what was lacking another example.

Warner always felt a more natural leader but that ship has sailed.
I feel like the only reason anyone is really entertaining the idea of Smith as captaina again is the serious dearth of other options

Burgey

Cummins is the bloke to do it until Bertus establishes himself in the side and takes the reins.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
There is a difference between playing an all rounder and having a batsman bowl a few overs reasonably tightly to rest the main bowlers or just to be a change up. Australia in the past has had the likes of the mentioned Hussey as well as Martyn, Langer, Blewett, Mark Waugh, Lehmann around to bowl something and Wade would be in a similar mode. Worth giving him an over or two before lunch, an over or two in the run up to the new ball so the main quicks can have a rest. With Labuschagne also able to bowl some overs there is no need for an allrounder like Mitch Marsh who is not good enough with either bat or ball. If a player like Ben Stokes does emerge then certainly put him in the team but until there is quality picking the 6 best batsmen and relying on some part time overs is what must happen.

Red

It's more than that though. It might be bowling those overs in a cluster with Lyon when the new ball is still ten or twelve overs away but the old ball is giving nothing to the quicks. Leaves the quicks fresher for the new ball.

Red

Did you really just say that
See my comment in reply to Burgey above. Stoinis takes about one wicket per FC match. He's not gonna take a heap of wickets in tests. His role would be to contain with the old ball for 10 or so overs max in conjunction with Lyon attacking. Honestly think Wade could do that role almost just as effectively. If they try and hit him out of the attack they take risks that might lead to a wicket, and if they fully get a hold of him, you just bring a frontliner back on.

My comment is wrt the fact we can't carry all-rounders, batting at 6, who average sub 30s. I'd prefer to just see Wade, Labuschagne and Smith as the alternate options, not Marsh or Stoinis.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Its even more silly when it is the first test and the bowlers have been resting specifically so that they are ready for Tests.

As others have already said Labu is the fifth bowler, pick the best bat for that number 6 spot.

Patto needs a devastating spell or two in the Shield this round or its back to Starc I feel.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Nic Maddinson out of test contention due to mental health issues (Bancroft replaces him in A side)

Middle order spot now down to Head or Pucovski (or Khawaja with Labu pushed down to 5).

vcs

Pucovski, Maxwell and now Maddinson? Without wanting to sound insensitive, what are they putting in the water there?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's Victoria. They're all mentally ill, and even though Maddinson's from NSW it's a very virulent illness. Look at the governments they vote in ffs.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tbf, Pucovski's issues are to do with the concussions he's had. Maxwell doesn't surprise me at all worth the way he's been treated and the expectations he puts on himself.

It does look rather suspicious though that all three who have recently had mental health issues have been Victorian.