• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2018/19

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hohns: "So we've got to make sure in Australia A we've got players playing who are contenders for the Ashes squad, also have some in there that are potential cover for any injuries that may occur in the World Cup. It's a very interesting exercise."

I am very interested to see what teams they come up with. Obviously we will know more by April 23 when the World Cup 15 man squad has to be submitted.

Potential World Cup Squad:
Finch Warner Khawaja Smith SMarsh Stoinis Maxwell Handscomb Carey Richardson Starc Cummins Zampa Hazlewood Coulter-Nile (Im least certain about NCN).

My attempt at an Australia A squad:
Joe Burns, Marcus Harris, Kurtis Patterson, Travis Head, Matthew Wade, Ashton Turner, Cameron Bancroft, Mitch Marsh, Tim Paine, James Pattinson, Peter Siddle, Nathan Lyon, Jason Behrendorff, Billy Stanlake, Jackson Bird.

EDIT: Will Pucovski unlucky.

Last edited:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not sure about Stanlake in the A squad when Qld are picking ****ing Cameron Gannon over him. Also Dorff hasn't played FC for ages.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Not sure about Stanlake in the A squad when Qld are picking ****ing Cameron Gannon over him. Also Dorff hasn't played FC for ages.
Did you read the Hohns quote at the start of my post? I took that to mean the A squad will include guys who just missed out on the WC squad. So having Behrendorff, Stanlake, Turner etc in England is going to happen as opposed to having just the 15 or so next best Test options.

Starfighter

Did you read the Hohns quote at the start of my post? I took that to mean the A squad will include guys who just missed out on the WC squad. So having Behrendorff, Stanlake, Turner etc in England is going to happen as opposed to having just the 15 or so next best Test options.
I wouldn't interpret it as strictly as you have.

Loose Cannon

U19 Debutant
The Cricket Australia website article backs up what NUFAN is saying

I agree with those selection, with maybe K Richardson replacing Stanlake as WC cover. Holland or O'Keefe coming over with the Aus Squad and shifting teams for the tour match. Labuschagne probably being added to the A squad at some stage, because of course he will

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Australia A are playing 5 50 over matches in England. The first one is on the same day as we play Bangladesh in the World Cup which would be our 6th game. We then have potentially very important matches against England, New Zealand and South Africa while our A team is in England.

I think (and after reading the CA article) it definitely means that for at least the first portion of the A tour, there will be some ODI squad back ups playing. Not a massive deal, just thought I would point this out.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
My interpretation of what Hohn's has said is that those who just miss out on the WC squad are highly likely to be picked in the A squad.
Langer has said recently that he thinks there are 19 or 20 players who deserve to be in the WC squad. I take that to be the current 15 plus Smith, Warner, Starc, Hazlewood and maybe D'Arcy Short. Hazlewood is unlikely to be fit enough for the WC squad but maybe given the A tour to prove his fitness for a possible Ashes squad position. So possibly 5 of that 20 will be in the A squad.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Given that Warner, Smith, Starc and Hazlewood will join the WC squad, with 4 of the current ODI squad then going to the Aus-A tour, that leaves 11spots for the Ashes warm up tour.
I choose

Harris
Bancroft
Burns
Patterson
Head
Pucovski
Paine
Pattinson
Copeland
Bird
Holland

+ 4 leftovers from WC squad

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
Given that Warner, Smith, Starc and Hazlewood will join the WC squad, with 4 of the current ODI squad then going to the Aus-A tour, that leaves 11spots for the Ashes warm up tour.
I choose

Harris
Bancroft
Burns
Patterson
Head
Pucovski
Paine
Pattinson
Copeland
Bird
Holland

+ 4 leftovers from WC squad
Hazlewood is far from certain because of injury.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A report has come out that the Australian bowlers (Starc, Cummins, Hazelwood, Lyon) were threatening to refuse to play Australia's last Test in SA if Warner wasn't banned. Don't know how legit it is but interesting nonetheless

social

A report has come out that the Australian bowlers (Starc, Cummins, Hazelwood, Lyon) were threatening to refuse to play Australia's last Test in SA if Warner wasn't banned. Don't know how legit it is but interesting nonetheless
Wasn’t he punted from the hotel?

He’s hardly been a raging success in England anyway so don’t see the need to rush his return

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Possibly. in some ways I do think that it wouldnt be surprising seeing Warner further punished.

Btw this Australia A talk is really interesting and people have completely different views. Im convinced because because we are calling it Australia A and not the 'Ashes prep/World Cup reserves squad' which I think it is.

That makes Tim Paine seem a more logical pick. He doesnt have to play every tour match, but I think wed be crazy to not have him in England playing a few warmups.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Possibly. in some ways I do think that it wouldnt be surprising seeing Warner further punished.

Btw this Australia A talk is really interesting and people have completely different views. Im convinced because because we are calling it Australia A and not the 'Ashes prep/World Cup reserves squad' which I think it is.

That makes Tim Paine seem a more logical pick. He doesnt have to play every tour match, but I think wed be crazy to not have him in England playing a few warmups.
Yeah people have weird hangups about Australia A sometimes, as if it has some sort of special meaning and isn't just what they call the "PONIs who aren't doing anything right now who we've arranged some matches for" team. Not selecting Paine because you can't have the Test captain play for "Australia A" would be ridiculous, and if he doesn't get selected it definitely won't be for that reason.