• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian One Day team

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I wonder they'll look to get bulk overs out of Marnus. It's probably the only way they can fill out that lineup without Agar or (hold on, I've got Mark Waugh on the phone here) Abbott at #7, especially since Turner's shoulder ops seem to have completely destroyed his bowling dreams.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Weird that there's no real all-rounder in that side (unless Turner is somehow 100% fit to bowl).

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Agar will be viewed as the all rounder.

Spikey, any reason why you think Smith ahead of Marnus?

I dont think we will see the Test trio in any match that we pick just 3 fast bowlers in. I think we give Richardson first opportunity.

Spikey

Langer said Smith was likely at 3.

I think for a series in India against India it makes sense to beef up the bowling. Obviously there's question marks about whether Agar is good enough though

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Labuschagne's selection might be partly reward for his test form, and partly an indication that the selectors see him as a future multi-format captain?

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
This trend of talking people up as future captains without having led their state needs to die a quick and horrible death

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Also i am sick of good batter in form = captain.

I mean you watch Marnus in the Ashes, then his Marsh Cup form and this was completely on the cards, im pretty sure I mentioned it in the domestic thread.

He is the right age, perfect selection to try this far from the next World Cup.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
This trend of talking people up as future captains without having led their state needs to die a quick and horrible death
What, you don't think the selectors put some thought into these things?

Didn't think it was that dire a comment that it "needs to die a quick and horrible death", but ok.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
What, you don't think the selectors put some thought into these things?
Nothing would surprise me with this lot tbh

Sorry if I came across harsh on you, wasn't my intent, but I am very firmly of the belief that state leadership experience is an absolute essential prerequisite for any prospective future national captain.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
A question here guys:

I know Ian Chappell can go overboard with his theories most of the time, but given that article about Steve Smith basically captaining the side while Paine was there, and also given the way he was instated as captain for his IPL teams (RPSG and RR - one especially bad looking in the middle of the season), is it like he wants to be the captain whenever he plays?

And if that is so, will that change things come April 2020?

aussie tragic

International Captain
Khawaja pretty hard done by here. He out scored Labushagne in one-day cup (in same team) and did significantly better than Handscomb and Turner.

Turner scored only 135 runs @ 27 while Khawaja, as the incumbant, scored 400 @ 80

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I get the selectors reasoning.

Khawaja at 33 had a decent but not great World Cup. He offers zero bowling, not great in the field (decent catcher tbf) and his best position (opener) is filled by the captain and Warner.

Marnus 100% deserves a spot so tbh its really Usman vs. Handscomb and Turner.

I would bet during the BBL if they were all given the same opportunities, Khawaja would perform the best. But is that enough?

Turner is seen as a strong option in our T20I team so keeping the 26 year old with the Aussie team to fill a specific role that Khawaja doesnt, means they realistically arent in competition.

Handscomb vs Khawaja gets a bit more interesting. Handscomb provides backup keeping, is good vs spin and has a good (i assume) relationship with Andrew McDonald who is coach for this series. Handscomb is good at rotating the strike and realistically he is going to bat 4-5 (if he makes the XI) which again means he isnt really picked for the same role.

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
Well they're only taking 6 batsmen on tour so they could have done all the above and taken Khawaja as spare top 3 bat as well.

Then again it's only a 3 game nothing series, so players allowed to play the full BBL might have the inside running for the T20 WC (would have made sense for Turner to keep ticking over in BBL for that reason actually)

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Contrary to popular belief, I actually don't mind Handscomb being picked here. He's a decent player of spin, doesn't tend to get too bogged down starting against it compared to other middle order options, and his last few Australian ODI performances have been fairly strong.

Just keep him well away from the wicketkeeping gloves

morgieb

Yeah Usman isn’t that unlucky imo. It’s just very hard to pick him in an odi side if he’s not opening and Warner, Finch and Smith have top 3 spots on lockdown.

aussie tragic

International Captain
So Tragic, Khawaja is unlucky that we haven't picked a bigger squad, gotcha.
Well no, I still think he should have been there ahead of Handscomb and Turner but after your post I understand why he's not and given the top 3 is pretty locked in with Warner, Finch and Smith as well as Labuschagne being looked at as well.

Spark

Global Moderator
Why would anyone object to Handscomb being picked? He literally performed well in the same conditions less than a year ago.