• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian One Day team

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
His 50 over record is absolute toilet
Statistical anomaly tbh. Best 4-day spinner in Aus for the best part of a decade, probably the best T20 spinner now. Just hasn't taken wickets in the domestic 50-over comps, probably largely because of how people play him, because his economy is still excellent.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Statistical anomaly tbh. Best 4-day spinner in Aus for the best part of a decade probably the best T20 spinner now. Just hasn't taken wickets in the domestic 50-over comps, probably largely because of how people play him, because his economy is still excellent.
He was for a while, but this hasn't been true for years. Just give up mate.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't really agree with the rest of the post either, 51 games is enough of a sample size IMO to say it is more than an anomaly. He certainly is good at keeping things tight though.

TheJediBrah

I don't really agree with the rest of the post either, 51 games is enough of a sample size IMO to say it is more than an anomaly. He certainly is good at keeping things tight though.
As I said, it shows how people tend to play him. It's hard for a bowler like him to take wickets in 50-over games with no one really going after him.

Mind you I don't think he's even close to the best 50-over spinner in Aus, or that he should be anywhere near the WC squad.

the big bambino

International Captain
your post makes no sense. The point in question was his 50 over record.

It was literally the only thing I was paying attention to, which is the opposite of "ignoring"
Nah thats a fib. You addressed only to brush it. Thereby ignore it as a consideration. In a thread about 50 over selection no less. You're a "funny" man.

TheJediBrah

Nah thats a fib. You addressed only to brush it. Thereby ignore it as a consideration. In a thread about 50 over selection no less. You're a "funny" man.
Literally my only point was that his 50 over record is misleading. How is that "brushing it" or "ignoring it as a consideration"?

I even directly said that I don't think he should be close to 50 over selection. His 50 over record was the only thing I was addressing and then you've come along and tried to tell me that I'm ignoring it.

Pay closer attention to what you're responding to tbh

All I know is he killed it in the big bash. Maybe worth a go in the t20 wc squad
If he was still a decent bat I'd be backing this but he seems to be a bit of a one-dimensional player these days. Not a particularly special fielder either IIRC

the big bambino

International Captain
Literally my only point was that his 50 over record is misleading. How is that "brushing it" or "ignoring it as a consideration"?

I even directly said that I don't think he should be close to 50 over selection. His 50 over record was the only thing I was addressing and then you've come along and tried to tell me that I'm ignoring it.

Pay closer attention to what you're responding to tbh
You called the most relevant data set for one day selection a statistical anomaly. Which is a joke of course.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

You called the most relevant data set for one day selection a statistical anomaly. Which is a joke of course.
So the only thing you disagree with is the suggestion that his 50-over bowling average isn't necessarily an accurate representation of his skill or value?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Without it turning into a stupid ****-fight, O'Keefe isn't a huge wicket taker in any form of the game. His lack of wickets in List A games has blown his average and SR way out. What he's good at is keeping it very tight, which is pretty relevant in short form cricket. While his average and SR are poor due to lack of wickets, he is still more economical in List A than Zampa, Agar and Ahmed. I think his List A record is slightly misleading, at a glance.

Not particularly advocating for him for the WC, but I also don't think he's a woeful option.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I fully believe that in ODI cricket your top 4 bowlers should be wicket takers. Especially against aggressive teams. Bowling Lyon, O'Keefe, Agar as top 4 bowlers against England is asking for trouble. You need to take wickets to put them under pressure to beat them. Zampa is by far the best spinner at doing that. I'd rather 3/70 than 0/45 from my spinner bowling between the 21st and 40th overs. 3/70 means that they won't have the firepower to go at 12 an over from the final ten overs.

TheJediBrah

I fully believe that in ODI cricket your top 4 bowlers should be wicket takers. Especially against aggressive teams. Bowling Lyon, O'Keefe, Agar as top 4 bowlers against England is asking for trouble. You need to take wickets to put them under pressure to beat them. Zampa is by far the best spinner at doing that. I'd rather 3/70 than 0/45 from my spinner bowling between the 21st and 40th overs. 3/70 means that they won't have the firepower to go at 12 an over from the final ten overs.
Agar has been very good for Aus in ODIs, his stats may be misleading but on the tour to England where 400 was a normal score he was almost always our best and most economical bowler. I'd still rather have Zampa for the WC but Agar is far from the worst choice, even before you take his batting into consideration.

Spikey

Australia ODI squad for Qantas Tour of India: Aaron Finch (c), Sean Abbott, Ashton Agar, Alex Carey (vc), Pat Cummins (vc), Peter Handscomb, Josh Hazlewood, Marnus Labuschagne, Kane Richardson, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Ashton Turner, David Warner, Adam Zampa

thoughts

1) Surprised at how full strength it is.
2) Abbott's overdue recall is nice to see.
3) Labuschagne continues the under acknowledged tradition of getting a gig in the ODI because you've established yourself in the test team
4) a switch away from batting all-rounders, at least for these conditions. MMarsh will probably come in when he's fit

warner
finch
smith
labuschagne
turner
carey
agar
cummins
starc
hazlewood
zampa