• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian off season domestic 2012/13

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia must name a 30-man squad for the World T20 by Wednesday. It then must trim that to a final squad of 15 by August 18, a week before the tour begins against Afghanistan in Sharjah.
So that's our WC team #comeondohertydiebeforethen

Spikey

Doherty's our best t20 spinner. Had a great Big Bash.

Birt and Finch must be thinking wtf.
He really didn't. He had one good match (half of his wickets for the league came here: Adelaide Strikers v Hobart Hurricanes at Adelaide, Dec 28, 2011 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo). Jason Krejza is the Hobart spinner to pick

In any case, I'd say the four T20 internationals he played in following the BigBash and in which he took 1 wicket at 118 and 9 runs an over, in addition to his total T20 record which stands at an average of 43 at just under 8 runs an over voids his BigBash performances, good or bad. If he's our best T20 spinner, he sure as hell has a funny way of showing it. I can only assume we trying to make up for screwing him over for the 2011 WC.

Not surprised Birt missed out. Finch has been the victim of White coming back and Bailey staying in. Wonder if Marsh's name was there before his little incident.

benchmark00

Nah Doherty did have a good big bash, in particular his first half. Who cares about wickets in t20? He bowled very tightly (again in particular the first half) under the circumstances and out bowled most spinners every match.

Spikey

But then in the second half of the comp, he didn't keep the runs down. Last 5 matches his returns were: 1/45, 0/39, 0/32 (3 overs), 0/33 and 1/20 (3 overs)

So that's one good return. In the four T20I's we've played him in he's been terrible, and he hasn't kept the runs down, throughout his T20 career he hasn't kept the runs down. (btw, I would say one important reason to take wickets in T20 is 'cause, you know, nothing lowers the RR like some wickets). Luke Doran had a pretty good first half of the BigBash too. He kept the runs down. Why not him?

I just don't get it. I mean, he won't be first choice. So that's comforting. But when Brad Hogg has his heart attack, Lyon, Beer, Smith, O'Keefe, Krejza, Hauritz, Dave Hussey, frickin' Warne and MacGill are all more alluring options to me. They either take wickets or keep the runs down. And if they can't do those two, they might be able to bat or field. A couple of good matches in a long league doesn't make a career.

Of course, why Doherty has been so **** in T20's is another question, and one I can't really get my head around. You'd think he'd at least be mediocre in them. Maybe that's the hope, he's just had some really bad luck and he's ready to explode.

benchmark00

Doherty is a better t20 bowler than all of those players you've mentioned (MacGill aside), so don't be silly.

brockley

International Captain
Nathan Coulter Nile signed for the Scorchers.
Dan Harris,Cam Borgas and Aaron O'brien yet to be confirmed for the Renegades,maybe today.

bondi beach

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Clarke, Haddin and Smith not selected for T20 squad which means NSW 1XI in the first game could be:

Maddinson
Henriques (him or Nevill)
Smith
Clarke (c)
Rohrer
Nevill (or Henriques at 7 below Haddin)
Haddin (+)
O'Keefe
Copeland
Bollinger
Hazlewood

2XI

Hughes
Henry
Patterson
Cruickshank
Dawson (c, +)
Abbott
Lalor
Bills
Zampa
Doran
Tremain

brockley

International Captain
I think he would be better off at the shire.:cool:
Scorchers Triffitt,Voges,Albie Morkel,Stars Handscomb,Quiney,Wade,Dave Hussey,l Wright,Hurricans Doherty & J Wells,Strikers J Holland and N Lyon.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Renegades sign up a number of young Victorian cricketers - Buchanan, Sheridan, Muirhead, Hill as well as Jayde Herrick.

Interesting that they didn't slide Muirhead into the team with Warne in it, thought that would be the obvious one for a young leg spinner.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Have Perth finished their player signings with 18 players. Surprised they didn't sign Tom Beaton or Liam Davis. Renegades or Thunder should be looking at signing both players.

Spikey

Yep. Surprised they've gone all 18. 16 or 17 and leaving some room seems the more sensible option.

With Voges now off the table I really can't see where the R's captain is coming from. Forrest is still there I guess...