• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2018/19

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tbf other than a couple of his wrong'uns Pope got his wickets from rubbish balls. I wouldn't say he bowled particularly well, sometimes things just happen for you as a bowler.
Sure, but that's why you pick the leggie. Warne made leg-spin a stock and attacking weapon but there's only been one of him. Says a lot for Pope that he, still a teen, blew away a line-up with a reasonable amount of international experience in it too. Not overawed by it all.

I mean, yeah, even Steve Smith has a FC 7-fa (maybe two?). Pope isn't Warne reincarnated. But just getting guys around the country to take you seriously is a tick in the box for a young spinner in Oz.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And Warne want playing shield cricket at 18 either. Pope is young and you can bet that teams will be planning for how to deal with his googly now.

Gnske

Reminder Harris has been memed in serious fashion to be a potential Australian opener in recent seasons.

I'm scared with this latest development.

stephen

Honestly I don't really care who gets runs, so long as someone gets them in the tests. If that means picking Victorians then let's grit our teeth and pick Victorians.

I fell dirty and need a shower.

Eloquentia

U19 12th Man
I'm still not sold. The wrongun is clearly excellent (perhaps I had more faith in shield players to pick it - or Joe Burns to not play around it despite picking it) but the four leg break wickets were pretty lucky. Marnus slashed at a ball he really shouldn't have, Doggett/Swepson are tailenders and played rubbish shots to poor deliveries and the Heazlett one was gross.

Sure, no replays in the scorebook but I don't particularly like applauding people on '**** gets wickets' and he's clearly expensive. Will happily eat the onions when he starts actually looking threatening with leg breaks.

TheJediBrah

Marcus Harris to leap-frog Renshaw into the Test side and stephen to throw a hissy fit.

Renshaw manages to dominate when it doesn't matter and the minute Test selection is on the table goes missing (1 innings so far but consider this a prediction)

stephen

Marcus Harris to leap-frog Renshaw into the Test side and stephen to throw a hissy fit.

Renshaw manages to dominate when it doesn't matter and the minute Test selection is on the table goes missing (1 innings so far but consider this a prediction)
Nah if he gets picked on the back of a string of hundreds them more power to him.

Maxwell has missed the window for test selection I feel since he won't have any first class cricket under his belt for 9months by the time the tests roll around.

Renshaw needs to step up and score big. If he can do that in the next few weeks I'll be calling for him to be picked. If he can't then hopefully someone else will be banging down the door.

stephen

Oh and TJB his initial test selection was on the back of a very well timed hundred. He knew a place was up for grabs and he took it. He had a bad case of the second year blues at the start of last season but turned it around in the second half.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think that the nature of batting definitely means that picking players based on what they've done in the last four or five games domestically can be really dumb, but in saying that Harris has had consecutive good seasons. If he backed it up with an awesome start to this one it wouldn't be ridiculous for him to be selected.

I do see the idea of Renshaw being left out when Smith, Warner and Bancroft are already banned to ridiculous though. He could register a duck every Shield innings between now and the first Test and I'd still be picking him. Other ****s should be under much more pressure.

TheJediBrah

Nah if he gets picked on the back of a string of hundreds them more power to him.

Maxwell has missed the window for test selection I feel since he won't have any first class cricket under his belt for 9months by the time the tests roll around.

Renshaw needs to step up and score big. If he can do that in the next few weeks I'll be calling for him to be picked. If he can't then hopefully someone else will be banging down the door.
People keep saying this but I think it's based on a flawed assumption, ie. that FC cricket is the best, or only, way to put your name up for Test selection.

Who's to say that if Maxwell dominates some ODIs that it won't influence the selectors more than runs in the Shield? We saw Finch get selected on the back of ODI and T20 form. Maxwell didn't get selected despite bossing the Shield last year. Maybe a big reason why Maxwell has been left out of the recent Tests is because he's been **** in Limited-overs for Australia.

If I were him I wouldn't be thinking "damn I can't even put my name up for Tests cause I'm stuck in the T20 and ODI team", I'd be "here is a great opportunity to show that I've got some form back in international cricket".

Eloquentia

U19 12th Man
Cooper dropped to make way for Head, then brought back because Ferg's injured.

Can't think of a player who's been luckier with reprieves than Coops. Been essentially on the edge of oblivion for years now, hanging on by the skin of his teeth. Has a lean run, about to get dropped, Australian call-up or injury means he either just stays in or gets recalled, scores runs, makes the spot his own again, rinse and repeat. Happened again, dropped, but an injury has him back in. Watch him ton up now.
He couldn't have fulfilled the script any better. I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad.