• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2016/17

ajdude

International Coach
handscomb's gonna be talked up biiiig time all summer. then before india we'll see articles from ben dorries about his sub-40 average

ajdude

International Coach
yeah just thought he'd be one of those u19 players who end up a spud like tim armstrong.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tbh Valente looked like **** for most of his innings. Weird technique, front foot plods straight down the pitch regardless of where the ball or what shot he's playing, lots of edges and mis-timed shots.

I'd be surprised if he performed with any consistency in the long-term. But if he does turn out to be one of those guys that looks **** but still manages to get results, he'll be valuable.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
tbh Valente looked like **** for most of his innings. Weird technique, front foot plods straight down the pitch regardless of where the ball or what shot he's playing, lots of edges and mis-timed shots.

I'd be surprised if he performed with any consistency in the long-term. But if he does turn out to be one of those guys that looks **** but still manages to get results, he'll be valuable.
I was actually considering making a post before he came in pointing out my surprise at their decision to go with such a long tail given he was batting 8-9 in the Futures League last season, and came out at 10 below Mennie and Zampa in his Shield games. He certainly made me glad I hadn't made that post but I don't think he looked particularly good either tbh.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought it was the best knock I've ever seen tbh, I think you both have no eye for the aesthetic.

Top_Cat

Every spud can have his day. Reminder that Mark Cleary had people calling him an allrounder after one knock.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Every spud can have his day. Reminder that Mark Cleary had people calling him an allrounder after one knock.
Yeah good example. Reckon Cleary looked more like a batsman the few times he scored runs than Valente did today too tbh. I'm not expecting much more than a predominately bowling player who can score useful runs at 7/8.

I've just looked up his grade record -- averages mid 30s and bats around 5 which is actually pretty decent, but no tons yet.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Can we, like, give South Australia away to the Kiwis or something. I'm sure they'd grab some Plunket engine room use out of Valente and use Richardson in ODIs, plus CalFerg ain't a bent shovel.

Wins all round.

Spikey

It really is a terrible OD team, but at least it's better than when they had a terrible shield team and a decent OD team

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Also keep in mind that Tom Cooper didn't get a SACA contract. That's right, SA reckon they've got more than enough quality bats without Cosgrove and c00ps

Top_Cat

In fairness to SA, almost all of their big guns failed to fire in the same match. That's unlikely to ever happen again.

brockley

International Captain
He is a talent Wes Agar,impressed with what I saw.Hes' quick and will get quicker,maybe 1 to put aside for their 4 day team.

TheJediBrah

Yeah good example. Reckon Cleary looked more like a batsman the few times he scored runs than Valente did today too tbh. I'm not expecting much more than a predominately bowling player who can score useful runs at 7/8.

I've just looked up his grade record -- averages mid 30s and bats around 5 which is actually pretty decent, but no tons yet.
mid 30s is decent for a grade batsman, but plenty of guys who bat 9-10 and average ~15 in the Shield have Grade averages of well over 30-40. It's a big difference in standard,