• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2015/16

Julian87

State Captain
Stoinis should not be in that Victoria XI ahead of Rob Quiney.

They hardly need Stoinis' military mediums when they already have an attack of Pattinson, Hastings, Boland, Holland, Christian, Maxwell, White, (McKay) & (Siddle). Absolute stitch up.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jesus, they're making the same mistakes all over again. Essentially, CA are saying these guys will learn more from getting schtonkered by state sides than they would playing grade cricket. Worse, they also seem to be saying that they'll learn more about them from same.

Spikey

It's just insane to me that this is the way this ended up, given ACT/NSW took their suggestion to the table. How did we get to here from there

Obv ACT/NSW XI has it's problems, but man

adub

International Captain
Certainly showing that chucking one or two young guys into a settled squad of hard heads is a very different proposition to chucking 11 young guys together on a Friday and expecting them to compete against two sides made up of guys who've all represented Australia (or near enough)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's just insane to me that this is the way this ended up, given ACT/NSW took their suggestion to the table. How did we get to here from there

Obv ACT/NSW XI has it's problems, but man
I don't really get the fascination with having a scraps type List A side in the first place. ACT/NSW Country would've been better than this but realistically doomed to fail as well. If you're going to have a seventh List A side then you have to let them actually compete with the other six for better players, and to do that they have to have a Shield side as well. I'd be all for a seventh Shield side but having a team full of players who have all been passed over by the other teams has been tried before; it didn't work then and it's not going to work now.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Stoinis should not be in that Victoria XI ahead of Rob Quiney.

They hardly need Stoinis' military mediums when they already have an attack of Pattinson, Hastings, Boland, Holland, Christian, Maxwell, White, (McKay) & (Siddle). Absolute stitch up.
Nah, Stoinis has to be given a chance now. He's ticked off a heap of boxes in the past 24 months, Bobby's a legend and will be great when the Aus players aren't available, but Stoinis has to be in.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Really for the CA XI team to be a success it needs Steve Smith and Mitchell Starc in it. If they were in the side they'd be competitive. Then the 9 other guys would still get their valuable experience and the Blues could get some of their many PONIs in the side.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah, Stoinis has to be given a chance now. He's ticked off a heap of boxes in the past 24 months, Bobby's a legend and will be great when the Aus players aren't available, but Stoinis has to be in.
As somebody from far afield - talk is through the boxes. Where does the faith come from?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Proven far too good for grade cricket (2013/14 season had 700 runs in 9 knocks).
Averaged 45 in Shield that season (324 in 4 games).
Averaged 49 the next year (789 in 10 games).

And he has a power game that is suited to batting early in one day games.

He bowls with good wheels, but because of that I think CA are overstating how much he can be an all-rounder, particularly in short form cricket. Ideally, he'd have a bit more "guile" with the ball to mean that Christian doesn't have to be picked.

Picking Quiney now is the exact thing that Victorian cricket has been criticised about for the past fifteen years (under Shippherd's reign, basically).

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
After his UK outings, to me Stoinis looked like the type of guy who would sit in that gap between domestic cricket and the international stuff -- a very good domestic performer who, in form, can be way too good, but not quite good enough to make a splash at the next level.

You reckon that's about fair, vic, or do you think he's got enough to succeed for Australia?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
That'd be the 13 balls he faced on tour? Think you're being unfair on him, especially when he's only 26; he's improved a heap since he first came over here (about five years ago); if he maintains a similar rate of improvement...

There are some senior players in the Victorian squad who are a huge wrap for him; said he'd be Vic's next Australian player at the beginning of the 2014/15 season, and they've been proven right on that one. He's improved a heap in the last 24 months.

The hardest thing is that there's a bit of Watson in him, in that he's probably suited as a batsman to being higher up the order, rather than at 6 where I think they'd like the all-rounder. If a role became available that he'd be suited to, he could be a decent international player - it's just that there's a lot of roles they'll try and fit an all-rounder into that wouldn't fit him.

Last edited:

Spikey

I mean, he plays top 3 for Victoria and he was batting very late in the innings in England so.

Given how much he seems to be rated by CA/CV, it would have been pretty crazy for him to miss out. He doesn't need to bowl, though

Camo999

State 12th Man
Geez a couple of big thrashings. Did this CA XI play any warm up games together? How did they even select this team? Seems to be only guys in their early 20s from the elite pathways are eligible. If they were going to do it, the best uncontracted players from all over the country regardless of age should have got a shot at a training camp or something X factor style.

Surely the Comets with one or two ring-ins could have put up a better performance than this. At least they are an actual team. Or a combined 'territories' side. Or PNG.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
They don't care. You learn a lot about players in repeated thrashings apparently.

Bet they learned heaps on that 11 overs of Vic batting. Like "we are crap at this level".

adub

International Captain
I don't have a problem with Stoinis playing other than he's taking Quiney's position and denying me points in the fantasy comp. Needs to convert more 50s but his numbers otherwise are excellent in Shield over the last two seasons as vic noted. Very interesting that he got called up for Aus in the shorter forms after playing Aus A in the FC tour but not the one dayers, but definitely has enough potential to make a white ball performer and gives the Vics a shot of taking NSW's title for most bowlers in an XI.

Spikey

Martin Smith ‏@martinsmith9994 3m3 minutes ago
Total international experience
@CricketNSWBlues: 610 matches (inc 186 Tests)
@WestEndRedbacks: 43 matches (inc 0 Tests) #MatadorCup

cant wait to lose