• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Off Season 2016

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fitting given before the season I swear I remember some hack writer (cricket.com.au probably) saying Cossy was fitter than ever.

Although that might be every season.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fitting given before the season I swear I remember some hack writer (cricket.com.au probably) saying Cossy was fitter than ever.

Although that might be every season.
He was. And It's probably why he wasn't as good.

I hate when people let health and stupid **** like that get in the way

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fit or fat, for a guy with his gifts, just not scoring enough runs. Fella with hands should be able to put selection issues beyond doubt but is just too prone to giving it away after punishing his way to 40-odd. Would back that it's more mental than physical.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Scores definitely support that hypothesis.

42, 16 South Aust v Victoria Adelaide 26 Mar 2016
8 South Aust v Tasmania Adelaide 15 Mar 2016
20, 31 South Aust v West Aust Perth 5 Mar 2016
2, 17 South Aust v NSW Coffs Harbour 25 Feb 2016
32, 33 South Aust v Victoria Adelaide 14 Feb 2016
33, 33 South Aust v Queensland Adelaide 3 Feb 2016
50, 19 South Aust v Victoria Melbourne 6 Dec 2015
52, 25 South Aust v Tasmania Hobart 27 Nov 2015
14, 65 South Aust v Queensland Brisbane 14 Nov 2015
4, 63 South Aust v West Aust Adelaide 6 Nov 2015
0, 6 South Aust v NSW Adelaide 28 Oct 2015

Not that disastrous of a season actually. If they hung on to Cossy those hacks Kelvin Smith and Raphael wouldn't fit in (metaphorically and literally speaking). Still not going to be a bad batting lineup with Fergus back.

Weatherald
Smith
Ferguson
Head
Lehmann
Ross
Carey
Zampa
Richardson
Mennie
Sayers
Worrall

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah I get why they've lost patience with both Cosgrove and Cooper, but it'd be easier to get behind the decision if they didn't go ahead and give Raphael a contract. He's 29 years old and has played 20 First Class matches without tonning up. He's only hit four fifties in that time and averages 25. "One ton in two years" is all well and good as a criticism of Cosgrove, but no tons ever is a bigger problem, surely?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think Cooper is particularly stiff given he did really well in the one dayers (a competition which the contract list is still meant to cover, mind you..), spent half the Shield season batting way out of position and wasn't awful the season before. I'm just not getting how he wouldn't offer more to the squad than Raphael unless they really are counting his decision to play in the UK instead of doing a full pre-season against him.

brockley

International Captain
Cooper was sacked by Somerset after last season,the only contract he has is with the Melbourne Renegades.
Its looking increasing likely he will be a T20 professional ,or if not required a full time rep for nation Holland.
Sad way 2 end a career tho.

Andre

International Regular
Gut feel is that Raphael is probably the sort of bloke Siddons loves - hard worker, plus one of the top few fielders going around. Setting an example to a young squad, he's probably the kind of guy the want around.

Cossie still a quality talent but jeez - how long have we been saying that now? 15 years?! If he's not going to play test cricket, where do you draw the line. It's probably a fair enough call. Should be winning the side matches regularly with his talent and experience.

Poor old Cooper - sadly has never seemed to be the same player since being at the other end when Hughes left us. I really think that's had an effect on him that we can't underestimate. Really feel for the guy on a human level but has barely made a run since.

brockley

International Captain
He was really dreadful at Somerset and horrid for Holland at the T20 cup,and averaged 10 for the Renegades,definitely got the year long yips.But to be honest he always has been an either in or either out player,like Peter Forrest.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I think Cooper is particularly stiff given he did really well in the one dayers (a competition which the contract list is still meant to cover, mind you..), spent half the Shield season batting way out of position and wasn't awful the season before. I'm just not getting how he wouldn't offer more to the squad than Raphael unless they really are counting his decision to play in the UK instead of doing a full pre-season against him.
Yeah, indeed. Dropping Cosgrove and Cooper only really makes sense if you have better replacements. And there's no way Smith and Raphael are upgrades on that front.

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
The Big Bash League is a T20 Club competition. Is there no 50-over club competition in Australia or Oceania?