• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Discussion (Final Squad Announced Post #82)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
What I'm saying is pretty clear mate, I think Smith at this point of time really doesn't have the know how to have any real success as a batsman at the international stage, but still his bowling in the limited overs format is good enough for him to compete for the spin bowler' slot.

If we had a solid in form middle order than I won't have had any problems with Smith at #7, but with our current batting depth (or the lack of) I don't think Smith if he's picked should be batting any higher than #8.
So in your first paragraph you say he isn't good enough, but in your second, if we had better players, he would be? That's what is making me confused.

If you picked Smith at 8, where would the other ten overs come from?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So in your first paragraph you say he isn't good enough, but in your second, if we had better players, he would be? That's what is making me confused.

Watto and Dussey I guess. Wouldn't be all bad; I wouldn't go that way though.

Anyway, personal opinion on Smith is that while his bowling seems to have more raw potential to be Test/ODI class on its strength alone, he knows his game as a batsman a lot better at this point so it's more likely to be immediately successfully.

Smith's current role is to supply power hitting from seven and act as a partnership breaker with the ball. I think that's the best role for him - showcasing his natural talent by hitting at the death and coming on to bowl attacking stuff when Australia need a breakthrough. I don't think he quite has it in him to consistently build innings of substance or bowl to the situation just yet, but in the role he's been given I think he'll be successful. In other words, I completely disagree with pup11. :p

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I still can't believe that Mussey has been left behind. That has to go down as one of the most stupid decisions ever made.

Still, we won:
2003 without Warney
2007 without Binga

Surely our selectors must get the sack over this.

pup11

International Coach

When we had a stronger batting line-up we got away with having likes of Symonds, Harvey, Hopes, White, Hogg, Watson batting at #7 and if that was still the case we could have managed with Smith at #7.

Anyways... AFAIC the first priority should be to try getting close to 10 overs out of Smith in pretty much every game and if he does that then he can play instead of Crayfish as the sole spinner, but if he can't bowl well in these conditions then I really don't see a place for him in the XI.

I don't agree with PEWS that a bloke batting at #7 should seal a place for himself in the side just on the basis of being able to score some runs with his power hitting or ability to roll his arm over every now and then.

It shouldn't be forgotten that Smith is playing ahead of the likes of Christian, Hopes and Birt who all probably would have added a lot more value to the side, so Smith has to raise the bar of his game and put in good performances either with the bat or with the ball if not both, because atm he is just a bits and pieces player who would chip in with 15-20 quick runs or 3-4 overs which I really don't think is good enough.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
When we had a stronger batting line-up we got away with having likes of Symonds, Harvey, Hopes, White, Hogg, Watson batting at #7 and if that was still the case we could have managed with Smith at #7.

Anyways... AFAIC the first priority should be to try getting close to 10 overs out of Smith in pretty much every game and if he does that then he can play instead of Crayfish as the sole spinner, but if he can't bowl well in these conditions then I really don't see a place for him in the XI.

I don't agree with PEWS that a bloke batting at #7 should seal a place for himself in the side just on the basis of being able to score some runs with his power hitting or ability to roll his arm over every now and then.

It shouldn't be forgotten that Smith is playing ahead of the likes of Christian, Hopes and Birt who all probably would have added a lot more value to the side, so Smith has to raise the bar of his game and put in good performances either with the bat or with the ball if not both, because atm he is just a bits and pieces player who would chip in with 15-20 quick runs or 3-4 overs which I really don't think is good enough.
Haha, DWTA. And I don't think that was the gist of PEWS' post, but nevermind.

I am so glad Smith is in ahead of Christian, Hopes or Birt.

Spark

Global Moderator
Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, not too surprised there. He looked pretty damn ropeable on his way off the park. Poor form obviously, but I as benchy mentioned I daresay he could afford the cost of a new one.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, not too surprised there. He looked pretty damn ropeable on his way off the park. Poor form obviously, but I as benchy mentioned I daresay he could afford the cost of a new one.
I must say I am somewhat surprised at the exact circumstances. Seemed he smashed the TV upon seeing the replay...

Spark

Global Moderator
Did anyone notice how stunningly good Mitch looked yesterday? Almost every single ball landed in exactly the right place (good length on off stump slanting away from the RH, into the LH), almost no wides that I can think of etc.

More of that, please.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pretty disgraceful behaviour from Ponting TBH, should be fined IMO.

TumTum

Banned
no really, was it a serious post?
yes

Krejza = Aggressive Spinner
Dussey = Defensive Spinner
Smith = Partnership breaker / Different spin style
Watson = Partnership breaker / Economical
Hasting (if he plays) = Variations / Economical
Lee/Tait/Johnson/Bollinger = Strike bowlers

Our problem before was that Hauritz even though bowled good lines and flight, he can't take advantage of some of the spin helpful tracks in the SC.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Haha, DWTA. And I don't think that was the gist of PEWS' post, but nevermind.

I am so glad Smith is in ahead of Christian, Hopes or Birt.
So you are telling me that you would just close your eyes and disregard the performances that those three guys have put up in domestic cricket over the last two seasons and hope that Smith who has virtually done nothing much of note for the Blues in OD cricket would all of sudden start to perform at the international level...??