• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Contracts

Eclipse

International Debutant
chris.hinton said:
How come that the Aussies give 30 players Central contracts and people dont moan yet we English give 12 and yet people say it not the right thing

Or are England doing it wrong?
Probably I mean the ECB are not really known for getting things right lol.

seriously?? well I am not sure but 12 contracts does not seem like many.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Prince EWS said:
And his intetrnational record isnt THAT bad. He averges 36 with the bat and 35 with the ball. His batting average is higher than his bowling average.
Yes, but his bowling average is somewhat skewed by 3 matches against Bangladesh and Kenya, and his actual contribution per innings isn't that great, he is just able to remain not out in about half of his knocks thus far.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
Not only does Watson have a FC bowling avrage as good as Tait's but his FC batting avrage is a very respectable 45.
Watson may have as good a FC average, but Tait has taken as many wickets as Watson has in about half the number of games...

Swervy

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Yes, but his bowling average is somewhat skewed by 3 matches against Bangladesh and Kenya, and his actual contribution per innings isn't that great, he is just able to remain not out in about half of his knocks thus far.
is that Kenya who got to the World Cup Semis?:D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Knew someone would mention that.

As good an achievement as that was, it was aided by non-cricketing factors somewhat.

Besides, looking at all 3 of those matches he took the wickets that skew his average in, only 1 of the wickets was of anyone who batted above number 8!

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Watson may have as good a FC average, but Tait has taken as many wickets as Watson has in about half the number of games...
Watson has been injured and has hardly bowled for a full season but I suppose that does not count??

Any way yes it's true Tait is obviously a better bowler but dont tell me Watson is crap thats what I was objecting to.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Theyve bowled about the same number of overs, so whats games got to do with it? Watson's an allrounder, so clearly hes not going to get as many overs per match as a frontline bowler:rolleyes:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
Any way yes it's true Tait is obviously a better bowler but dont
tell me Watson is crap thats what I was objecting to.
Where have I ever said that?

All I have done is point out that his ODI figures are somewhat skewed compared to his effectiveness to the team.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Linda said:
Theyve bowled about the same number of overs, so whats games got to do with it? Watson's an allrounder, so clearly hes not going to get as many overs per match as a frontline bowler:rolleyes:
Watson is a batsman who can fill in (at times very handily) with a few overs - not an All Rounder.

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Where have I ever said that?

All I have done is point out that his ODI figures are somewhat skewed compared to his effectiveness to the team.
You dident I was refering to somone else.

And Looking at Watsons FC stats I dont see why a FC avrage of 26 is not good enough to be classed an allrounder.

He would certainly make the Tigers team as both a batsman and bowler.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
And Looking at Watsons FC stats I dont see why a FC avrage of 26 is not good enough to be classed an allrounder.
I was looking at in context - he doesn't bowl as much as an allrounder would IMO.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
I was looking at in context - he doesn't bowl as much as an allrounder would IMO.
If Shane Watson isnt an allrounder, then I dont know who is:rolleyes: How many overs do YOU think an allrounder should bowl then?

Clearly he hasnt bowled much this season anyway, hes been injured.

marc71178 said:
Watson is a batsman who can fill in (at times very handily) with a few overs - not an All Rounder.
Says you Englishman. Yes, you are English. Hence, you live in England. And hence, how much Aussie domestic cricket do you SEE?

You can't dehumanize Watto until he's a set of numbers in a profile.

I've seen him hit Warne for six. I've seen him hit hundreds and fifties and save his team. I've seen him clean bowl Nasser Hussain (Englishman) just when Hussain could have stolen the game from Australia. Yes, Watson came to the party. I've seen him steam in bowl a good line and good length with good pace and good variation and you still won't concede he can bowl? I've seen him bowl 10 overs. I've seen him bowl them well. And I've seen him be unlucky enough sometimes to have clouts like Michael Bevan drop lollipops, but then again you can't put that in a number, can you?

And finally to be an allrounder you need to be able to field. Well. Did you see Watson catch Steve Waugh on the boundary in the ING cup? I don't think so. But plenty of people did. They're people who've actually watched him, not seen however many of his 20-something ODIs when he was good, but even then not as good as he is now.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
no hes an all rounder - he contributes equally with the bat and the ball

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
furious_ged said:
First of all; the possible losers. Nobody is really safe with their contracts so I'll list people who might (notice I said MIGHT) lose out:
Ashley Noffke - I'm sure of it; he's gone.
Nathan Hauritz - Might be saved by some promising late season performances.
Brad Hogg - See Hauritz. Can't see him playing an awful lot though.
Andy Bichel - Dropped at the wrong time?
Jimmy Maher - Barely played. Is he wanted any longer?
Steve Waugh - No might about it :P
Martin Love - Recently, he's done what? Someone remind me.
Nathan Bracken - Might stay, might go. You could argue either way.
Out of your list:

Noffke - Gone
Hauritz - Gone
Hogg - Will still get a contract for 2004/05. Though it really depends on whether Shane Warne continues playing ODI cricket in regards to Hogg long term future (in regards to a Australian contract).
Bichel - Will still get a contract for 2004/05, long term future (contract wise) uncertain.
Maher - Very good chance that he could lose his contract
Waugh - What a legend :D, though of course he is going to lose his contract.
Love - Will still get a contract for 2004/05
Bracken - Will still get a contract for 2004/05

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Linda said:
If Shane Watson isnt an allrounder, then I dont know who is:rolleyes: How many overs do YOU think an allrounder should bowl then?
More than 12 per FC match, and certainly more than 5 per One Day game.

That is a batsman filling in, not an allrounder.

That's beside the point. He participates and participates well with the ball. Therefore he can obviously bowl. So he can bat and bowl (and field).. Allrounder? Yes.