• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian all-rounder position

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Mind you South Africa and New Zealand produce quite a few all rounders and they generally go with the bowling all rounder policy.
Not overly sure its as cut and dry as that.

Kallis, Rice, Goddard, Barlow, Cronje etc were all bats. Though obviously the likes of Pollock, Klusener, Procter, Hall, Symcox were bowlers.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Not overly sure its as cut and dry as that.

Kallis, Rice, Goddard, Barlow, Cronje etc were all bats. Though obviously the likes of Pollock, Klusener, Procter, Hall, Symcox were bowlers.
Possibly a bit harsh on Procter? Sure his bowling was outstanding and, as such, better than his batting. And I know he batted obscenely low for SA, but he was a kid at the time. My memory of him playing for Gloucstershire was that he'd have played as a batsman even if he couldn't bowl at all and, as such I tend a view him as a genuine allrounder. Any idea where he batted for his domestic side in SA?

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Procter was considered the worlds best all-rounder after Sobers retired. His performances, tho, are move towards the bowling AR. This borne out by the few Tests, ROW XI matches and FC cricket.

In FC, his bat avg of 36+ pales in comparison to his superb bowl avg of 19+ in 400+ matches

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He says he's picked up a yard or two. :P

On this whole Aussie all-rounder position thing, I'm all for Symo in the OD team while he's performing so well in all crafts. But I think Watto is definitely the way for the tests. He can bat at 6 (though he can get into the top order in a few years). He averages right up there in FC cricket. He can build a big innings. I think he'd score more runs than Symonds in the test team. Plus I rate his bowling that much more than Symonds.

In conclusion:
OD team: Symo
Test team: Watto
For now: Cheerio.
:laugh: Oh dear, Cass.

taitmachine

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I would think that an injury free Watson (if there is such a thing) would eventually be in the one day side with Symonds. Hayden has limited time left in him as a one day player and Watson should be grooomed to open in the one dayers. Watson will never be good enough to be first pick alrounder in tests. Handy back up for Symo if he gets injured though.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Procter was considered the worlds best all-rounder after Sobers retired. His performances, tho, are move towards the bowling AR. This borne out by the few Tests, ROW XI matches and FC cricket.

In FC, his bat avg of 36+ pales in comparison to his superb bowl avg of 19+ in 400+ matches
Yes, I'm not disagreeing for a moment that Procter's bowling was even better than his batting - as you say, his stats leave no little room for argument on that one. My only point was that, at his peak, he would get picked as a batsman for most sides even if he couldn't turn his arm. Doesn't he hold the record for the most 100's in successive FC games or somesuch? In that sense, he was a genuine allrounder in a way that most of the others listed were not.

Last edited: