• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia ATG vs ROW XI - in Australia

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Will count for more now that the utter direness of away spinners is pretty clear in Australia.

Based on this, Mushtaq Ahmed's 18 wickets in the mid-nineties is the best performance by a spinner in a series in the country in history perhaps.
Yeah. Just like I said, change the criteria from bowling average to something else to suit your theory and be happy ?

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's a much of a muchness really. Any of those great spinners would do a decent job of holding down an end and keeping the pacers fresh. That appears to be the ceiling for a spinner in Oz. Definitely think you need one though especially because our side could be in the field for a long time against that Australian lineup. I'd favour Gibbs or Verity to contain scoring.

subshakerz

International Coach
It's a much of a muchness really. Any of those great spinners would do a decent job of holding down an end and keeping the pacers fresh. That appears to be the ceiling for a spinner in Oz. Definitely think you need one though especially because our side could be in the field for a long time against that Australian lineup. I'd favour Gibbs or Verity to contain scoring.
Sobers can do that. Just play four pacers and let em rip.

subshakerz

International Coach
A pacer can't bowl as many overs as quickly though. And he would still be much at worse at that role than Verity or Gibbs.
You are facing the strongest batting lineup imaginable. You cant sacrifice the firepower of one of your four pacers for a holding job spinner. That's a defensive mindset.

Barnes Surely.Also adds lot of variety in the attack.

Hadlee
Akram
Ambrose
Barnes

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Australia's edge would be Bradman and Gilchrist. RoW's edge will be openers and top tier bowlers who could bat (Imran and Hadlee).

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Let's do it.

Hobbs
Hutton
Richards
Tendulkar
Sobers
Sangakkara (+)
Imran (c)
Hadlee
Marshall
Muralitharan
Barnes

subshakerz

International Coach
Australia's edge would be Bradman and Gilchrist. RoW's edge will be openers and top tier bowlers who could bat (Imran and Hadlee).
Gilly is neutralized if you pick ABD who is as good a bat.

Bradman is a big advantage, but ROW has better openers and lower order strength.

Warne is another big plus if they play in Sydney especially.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Barnes Surely.Also adds lot of variety in the attack.

Hadlee
Akram
Ambrose
Barnes
Eh, I'm not convinced averaging 21 pre-War is necessarily better than averaging 34 against Bradman. The gulf in quality makes any attempt at standardisation pointless too.
You are facing the strongest batting lineup imaginable. You cant sacrifice the firepower of one of your four pacers for a holding job spinner. That's a defensive mindset.
4 pacers is overkill. The 4th pacer won't add any more value to the side. Plus, the spinners we are talking about would be able to take advantage of a turner or broken up wicket in a unique way. Gotta have all your bases covered

subshakerz

International Coach
Eh, I'm not convinced averaging 21 pre-War is necessarily better than averaging 34 against Bradman. The gulf in quality makes any attempt at standardisation pointless too.

4 pacers is overkill. The 4th pacer won't add any more value to the side. Plus, the spinners we are talking about would be able to take advantage of a turner or broken up wicket in a unique way. Gotta have all your bases covered
Tell that to Clive Lloyd, a guy who knows a thing or two about winning in Australia.

Verity also didn’t get a shot in 1st and 2nd test,1936 in Uncovered wickets as Australia were knocked over before he could capitalize.
Though I do think Barnes is clearly a better bowler than Verity.